Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2009, 6:59 AM   #1

Default Point & Shoot

Based on the latest reviews it looks like the Nikon Cool Pics P90 is the best overall point and shoot available......do you agree?
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2009, 11:03 AM   #2

I am sorry to say, Stan, that I surely do not agree with your premise-

Yes, the Nikon P-80 does very well in an out of doors setting, where natural lighting is being used. However, when the P-90 is taken in doors, thins begin to head south a bit. It is flash range limited and it is very prone to showing a good deal of noise, when the ISO setting is advanced to 200 or more.

How do I know this, you might ask? Well, I own the Nikon P-80, I am a digital camera instructor, and I currently have a student with the P-90, that I have been working one on one with attempting to help him with a lot of shots. So in the last twoo weeks I have a lot of hands on experience with the Nikon P-90.

Also here is something else that might interest you. The Nikon P-90, the Kodak Z-980, and the Pentax X-70 cameras all share the very same lens, the chasis, and many of the internal parts in common.

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ-28 or Sony H-50 and their photos. The difference is surprising.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 8:28 PM   #3

Stan, I have much better news for you-

After working all afternoon with my student and his Nikon P-90 camera, I honestly believe that we have created a work around.

The Scene Modes are very unpredicable on the P-90. Sometimes they work quite well, the following time, it all goes to pot. The Auto Mode do quite well, but with the P (for programed auto mode) the Nikon P-90 really begins to produce very consistent, excellent IQ photos. The Macro Mode does well in good light, avoid low light level macro shots.

So if you want this camera, the Nikon P-90, to work really well in Automatic, you will get good snapshot quality photos, but not the best that you can get by using the "P" or Programmed Auto Mode. You will also have to stay away from those Scene Modes as well.

When the Nikon P-90 is coupled with a good Slave Flash like the Digiflash 3000, photo quality improves considerably and flash range is extended out to 20 to 25 feet easily.

So yes, the Nikon P-90 can produce some impressive IQ results if you are willing to use some "manual" work arounds.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 27, 2009, 9:17 PM   #4

Stan, you may find this thread by Jack55 both informative and enlightening, much like the excellent advice from Sarah. Good luck with your decision.. Robert http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...ions-here.html
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 9:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I am sorry to say, Stan, that I surely do not agree with your premise-

Yes, the Nikon P-80 does very well in an out of doors setting, where natural lighting is being used. However, when the P-90 is taken in doors, thins begin to head south a bit. It is flash range limited and it is very prone to showing a good deal of noise, when the ISO setting is advanced to 200 or more.

How do I know this, you might ask? Well, I own the Nikon P-80, I am a digital camera instructor, and I currently have a student with the P-90, that I have been working one on one with attempting to help him with a lot of shots. So in the last twoo weeks I have a lot of hands on experience with the Nikon P-90.

Also here is something else that might interest you. The Nikon P-90, the Kodak Z-980, and the Pentax X-70 cameras all share the very same lens, the chasis, and many of the internal parts in common.

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ-28 or Sony H-50 and their photos. The difference is surprising.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah,

Thank you so much for your in depth response. Your time and expertise is deeply appreciated!
The Panasonic FZ-28 was my first choice until I came across the P-90.
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 (10X optical) and have been extremely pleased with it. The main reason I was considering the P-90 was the 24X.
Based on your comments I think I will go for the FZ-28....have read nothing but good comments about it. (Unless you think there is a better one out there )

Thanks again !!!!

Stan
Old May 27, 2009, 9:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Stan, you may find this thread by Jack55 both informative and enlightening, much like the excellent advice from Sarah. Good luck with your decision.. Robert http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...ions-here.html

Thanks Robert....appreciate the info. Tough decision
Old May 27, 2009, 9:35 PM   #7

Stan-

If you do not need that very long zoom, the FZ-28 is probably the better choice over all.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 27, 2009, 9:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Stan-

If you do not need that very long zoom, the FZ-28 is probably the better choice over all.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks Sarah....have a great trip !