Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2009, 9:54 AM   #1

Default Canon XS(i) or Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3?

I have a the original canon digital rebel and a 28-135 IS lens. I'm also needing a new p&s. I realize the two are completely different, but how would you choose to spend your money? I'm thinking either the xs or xsi. I do have a p&s (canon sd800IS), but don't care for it much. I can only afford one or the other.

My lifestyle is a SAHM with 2 young boys (one of whom has autism), if this helps at all. Looking to take primarily candid shots of the boys & family. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. I am unable to try out the panasonic in person, as no local shops are stocking it at this time.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2

Amy-

IMO the pivotal issue on the camera choice revolves around video clips. If you need video clips, then you head for the Panasonic ZS3. If the focus or priority is on IQ, then I would go with the Canon XSi.

With two young active boys, I would give serious consideration to an external flash to go with that XSi. An external flash will really improve your captures a great deal and it will enable you to use bounce flash as well.

If video clips are not a priority, take a look at the Panasonic ZS1 which is just about the sames as the ZS3, but without the video clip capability for about $(US) 100.00 less.

Please keep in mind that if you opt for the ZS3/TZ7 you will compromise IQ to get video clips. We have 8 children, and excellent growing up photos were a priority in our house.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:39 AM   #3

Thanks for breaking it down like that. IQ would def. be a higher priority. I purchased a flip video for spur of the moment things. I also already have a flash, I believe it's the speedlight 420EX. Keep any other thoughts coming...
Old May 28, 2009, 11:51 AM   #4

Well, if you already have a decent Canon flash and the 28-135mm IS lens, you're halfway there. You may be able to save even more money by purchasing the camera body only... I would recommend the XSi over the XS. If you purchase another lens later, I would recommend something substantially wider, since the 28-135mm lens works like a 44-216mm lens digital cameras with APS-C sized sensors (like yours).
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5

Amy-

I agree with Biro. I also use the Canon 28-135mm IS lens. However, the lack of a wide angle is, at least for me, somewhat limiting. I was able to purchase a Sigma 17-70mm lens and have been quite happy with that lens.

The Canon EX-420 external flash is a reall good flash. I purchased mine in 2002 and am still using it regularly. The XSi or the XS is a good choice,Amy. I also think that you are going to get more bang for your buck with the XSi, as opposed to the Panasonic ZS3/TZ7.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 31, 2009, 8:10 AM   #6

After all was said and done, I ended up ordering the panasonic. I do already have my DSLR even though it's old, it still takes great pics and I don't blow anything up beyond even a 5 X 7 (only have done a few 8 X 10's ever). I can start saving for a new DSLR body and maybe by the time I have the funds, the XSi will have gone down some in price. My canon elph has been dropped twice and no longer takes decent pics. Hope I didn't make the wrong decision, and I just wanted to thank you for your feedback.
Old May 31, 2009, 9:19 AM   #7

Amy-

I am sure it was the right decision. You are in the best position to judge. Enjoy your new camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 31, 2009, 12:17 PM   #8

Hey, the ZS3 may be the best camera in its class - or close to it. It actually puts out great images for a camera with that small of a sensor. And the zoom range for that sized camera is amazing. The only thing it lacks is manual control - but that's what you have the DSLR for, right? Besides, Panasonic's Intelligent Auto setting really does work. My LX3 has it and sometimes it's spooky how well it works. I'm sure it'll work out fine. Let us know!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote