Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:59 PM   #11

Oneguy,

I saw the Kodak Z980 in Walmart and it sure looked cheesy. I'm so glad my Canon SX10 was made in Japan. It's a great camera and I'm so glad I chose it over the Nikon P90.
Andrea
Ladyblue627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:28 PM   #12

Default Z980 vs SX10IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
Nikon P90, Kodak Z980 and Pentax X70 is made by the same Chinese company. Sold under different brands, but all three cameras are almost identical. If you want to buy thism buy the one that you can find cheapest. In general, Canon SX10 is way better anyway.
Can you quantify the last statement, into specific points of superiority? I am trying to decide between the Z980 and SX10, or if I'm patient and it exists, the replacement for the Panasonic FZ28.

Regarding similarities between the P90, X70, and Z980, I found rather significant differences in Steve's reviews, which to my use, completely rule out all but the Kodak. Yes, they all seem to take pretty decent photographs, as do many cameras these days. Functionally though, the Nikon and Pentax are slower than the Kodak. They average approximately a second longer to startup, and autofocus speed can be 30-100% longer than the Kodak (though the Canon trumps them all handily in autofocus). Also, battery life is abyssmal for the X70 at less than 150 shots, and still less than 250 for the P90, while the Kodak is rated at a full 400 and uses AA power. Once again though, the Canon wins, with 600 shot battery life, also AA. Finally, neither the Nikon nor Pentax offer zooming while shooting a video, unlike the Kodak and Canon.

However, it does appear that the Canon has a significant advantage over almost all other SuperZooms. As far as I can tell, it actually has true continuous shooting, from 0.7 to 1.5 frames per second depending on mode. You can keep shooting as long as you have memory, whereas the other three in question max out at around 4 shots in single-shot mode. You can get more in burst mode, but that's a huge number of frames in a very short time - maybe not what you want.

I have handled the SX10 recently, and it feels pretty good, but nowhere near as good as my current camera. I hope to get my hands on the Z980 tomorrow.

Cheers!
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:24 PM   #13

Dan-

You are very correct. The Nikon P-90. the Pentax X-70, and the Kodak Z980 all share the very same lens that was manufactured in China. The difference sets in with the Kodak Z980, that can use the Kodak P-20 External Flash, a great little flash, that is not available on either the Nikon P-90 or the Pentax X-70 cameras. however, the Canon SX-10 remains the most versitile ultra zoom camera of the group.

So you sort of have to make a choice as to which camera you will go with.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:29 PM   #14

I agree! The Canon SX-10 is the better camera of the group, and probably your best bet.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:27 AM   #15

I have a little update, which doesn't really help my decision, but maybe it will someone else's. I stopped in at Walmart to check out the Z980 today. I find that it feels great in my hands, much better than the Canon SX10IS, and better than the FZ28 does, too. Maybe I just have weird big hands. I found that the zoom adjustment on the Z980 was extremely fast. I also much prefer a zoom rocker switch on the back of a camera, present in the Kodak, as compared to a ring around the shutter like most everything else. However, Walmart's power connection was wonky and I couldn't do any serious testing. One thing I did realize is that the viewfinder on the Z980 is quite poor, being small,having no diopter adjustment, and no eye cup. Wearing glasses as I do, I'm honestly not sure I could live with it. I really tend to prefer using viewfinders for any long zoom shots and tracking moving objects, and the Z980's would really make this a chore. This is a huge benefit for the SX10IS. Even the relatively tiny FZ28 viewfinder is still far more usable than the Z980's.

What really threw me for a loop was that Walmart was also selling the Panasonic FZ18. I had to do a double-take on that one. It was about $50 less than the Z980. It also felt great in my hands, not quite as nice as the Kodak, but oh what a viewfinder! It's power wasn't working at all, pity, but I have tried out the FZ28 in the past and so I'm familiar with the operation for the most part. Naturally, I hadn't even been considering the FZ18, seeing as how the FZ28 is already discontinued, and the FZ18 isn't even listed at Panasonic's site anymore.

I know I would live happily with the lower resolution of the FZ18, but there are sure some nifty features of the FZ28 which would really come in handy. These would include zooming during video, 720p video recording, AF tracking, just to name a few.
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:44 AM   #16

They are very similar cameras, though the FZ18 doesn't have the 720p movie mode of the FZ28.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:29 PM   #17

If low light level shooting is one of your priorities, the more advanced processor on the FZ-28 is a plus for the FZ-28 instead of the FZ-18.

Sarah Joyce