Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:46 PM   #1

Default Canon SX10 or the Nikon P90???

Hello all,

I am a newbie to both this forum and to digital photography. I am ready to buy a digital camera and I am debating whether to buy either the Canon SX10 or the Nikon P90 as both are on sale this week at Best Buy. I've been doing some research and I'm looking for a point and shoot camera with as long an optical zoom as possible, good image quality on the auto modes, an electronic viewfinder as well as an LCD screen.

From what I've been reading on Amazon and the Best Buy customer reviews, the Canon seems to be much better rated than the Nikon P90, although the P90 is a new model and hasn't been around that long, but still those first impressions on the Nikon have me kind of wary. The Canon seems to have more features than the Nikon but it's heavier and bulkier, but I can live with the bulk as long as the quality is better. I did have a Canon SD400 and it took great pictures most of the time, but I want something with a longer zoom and something I can grow with.

The camera will be used mainly for taking pictures of family, indoor pets, and nature shots outside. I look forward to whatever tips, comments or suggestions you may offer.

Thank you and I look forward to meeting you and sharing and learning more about digital photography.

Andrea
Ladyblue627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:26 PM   #2

Go to bestbuy and check both. I don't think it is heavier and bulkier.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:05 AM   #3

Just for your info, the Kodak Z980 has also 26X zoom range as the Nikon P90. It has the amazing Kodak color as well.

Body-wise, the Kodak Z980 looks similar in size and shape of a Nikon P90.

There is a thread in the Kodak forum here that discusses this relatively new Kodak super zoom.
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4

I believe you will find the SX10 IS the most versatile of the three cameras mentioned above. It has less megapixels stuffed on to it's small image sensor than the Nikon P90 or Kodak Z980, and would hopefully give you better results at higher ISO values. The SX10 has only 10 MP, while the other two have 12 MP, but all on about the same sized sensor (~1/2.3" CCD). My 12 MP Canon G9 has a 1/1.7" CCD sensor, and there is plenty of noise to contend with at higher ISOs, so a smaller sensor will not do better. Less MP on a smaller sensor is better than more.

The SX10 also has access to the many excellent Canon external flash units, plus it's very nice vari-angle LCD. The Nikon does not have a hot shoe, so no external flash can be attached to it (except a slave unit). The Kodak has a hot shoe, but lists only one flash designed for it, the P20. The Nikon has a 3" vari-angle LCD, but it only tilts up or down by 135 degrees. The Nikon 3" LCD has 230,000 dots, while the Kodak 3" LCD only has 201,000 dots, so it is less clear of an image. The SX10 2.5" LCD has 230,000 dots, but on a smaller surface, so it should be a little sharper.

The wider and longer zooms on the Nikon and Kodak may give you the zoom range you feel you need, but they may also be lesser quality lenses due to their extreme ranges.

You can read Steve's reviews (if you haven't yet) for each camera here; SX10, P90, and Z980. You can also read a group test of super zoom camera from DPR here, but the P90 and Z980 were not included at the time.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
Go to bestbuy and check both. I don't think it is heavier and bulkier.
Hi Oneguy,

I did go to Best Buy and checked both the Canon SX10 and Nikon P90 side by side, the Canon definitely is a little heavier and a little larger than the Nikon P90.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:33 PM   #6

Thank you all for your comments and very helpful suggestions.

Denn, thank you for the links to the reviews. I am new and still trying to navigate my way around this forum and the links you provided to the reviews were very helpful indeed and I've made my decision to buy the Canon SX10.

I'm going with the Canon because based on what I've read here and on other forums and consumer review boards, the Canon seems to be more user friendly to the newbie photographer than the Nikon. Plus, I've owned a Canon before and I'm fairly familiar with their terminology, set up, icons, etc.

I'll be picking up my new Canon tomorrow, can't wait. Thanks again for all your help.
Andrea
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:57 PM   #7

Andrea,

I think you made a good choice. You may also want to get some helpful material in learning how to use your new camera. The User Guide that comes with the camera can be helpful, but it doesn't offer much in the way of helpful advice on what features to use and how to use them. One source I found helpful for using my new Canon G9 last year was the Shortcourse book and CD. You can purchase this material directly from the author, or from Amazon. You can purchase/download just the book in PDF form (full color and some interactive features) from the author's site, as well as order the spiral bound black & white print book.

I purchased the spiral book/CD (with the PDF) from Amazon, but either source costs the same.

Enjoy your new camera, and take lots of pictures to learn how to use it. Share them on this and other forums too, so you can learn from feedback from others. Also, get a set of the newer NiMH rechargeable AA batteries to use with the camera. The Sanyo Eneloops are highly recommended. You can sometimes find them in WalMart. Or, just get some other brand name NiMH rechargeables, with a charging unit. You can usually find them in a kit; batteries and a charger. You could carry some regular Alkaline AA batteries for an emergency situation as a backup.

Dennis
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:04 PM   #8

Dennis,

Well, I got my Canon SX10 camera!! It is gorgeous and I really like it alot. I also ordered the Shortcourse book from Amazon that you suggested and I also purchased some extra AA rechargeable batteries with a charger. I bought the Duracell mah2650 batteries. I already had a set of Duracell mah 2000 batteries. The manual that comes with the SX10 is small but it's thick and a bit overwhelming with all the icons, features, parts, and other things. I'm really looking forward to learning how to use this camera and I know I will with time, patience, trial and error.

I've been taking some shots and just getting used to this camera. It's not as heavy as I feared it would be and it's easy to hold. I love the swivel screen LCD and the viewfinder as well.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pictures once I learn to use this camera better and learn from the members here how to make good pictures look better.

Again, thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Andrea

Last edited by Ladyblue627; Jun 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:20 PM   #9

Andrea,

Take time reading your manuals and training books, and take lots of shots learning how to use the features. After your brain feels less fried, take a look a the optional filter attachment for the SX10 on Lensmate. The one filter you may find most helpful is the polarizer. There may be others, like ND (neutral density) but that comes later.

Enjoy your new toy/tool.

Dennis
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:21 AM   #10

Nikon P90, Kodak Z980 and Pentax X70 is made by the same Chinese company. Sold under different brands, but all three cameras are almost identical. If you want to buy thism buy the one that you can find cheapest. In general, Canon SX10 is way better anyway.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote