Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Default Need to know when to stop using Canon 10D

I have read with appreciation your debate over the 50D and the T1i. I am there as well. I had two qraduations and chose for a 50mm 1.4 instead of a new body. Problem and opportunity now is that in a month I am going to Yellowstone. It will probably be my only time. I want good shots. Being with family any wildlife shots will be good old dumb luck. But it would be nice to have clarity, contrast, and color for everything else. Is it time to increase the pixels?

So do I buy a body or rent a really good lens? And I would appreciate any opinions on the 10D. Honest, it won't hurt my feelings.
photorev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:23 AM   #2

Does the 10D still work?

Does it still do what you want and need?

If so, get another lens.

What lenses do you have?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:48 AM   #3

Default 10d

I still use my 10D...Put my L lenses on it and get great results...
You go buy a great new body and put cheaper lenses on it and all you have
is a great new body....As long as the 10D works, I would go for the new lens...I am sure 99.9% of your shots are for memories(I was here) and not
for blowing up to posters...At 6 megapixels the 10D makes great 4x6's up to 8x10's...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:23 PM   #4

I bought the 10D used in 2006 and am beginning to wonder which of us is in good working condition. I free lance now for a monthly newspaper so I take a lot and consider myself lucky. Plus they run them through their photoshop. I really don't take the 4x6 shots anymore. And it does concern me if 8x10 is about all I can do. I am using a tripod a lot more now but still not thrilled with focus. In the past year I have upgraded with two lenses : the EF 20mm 2.8 and the EF 50mm 1.4 I bought last month. No IS yet. The other two lenses are from film days. My only zoom is a 75-300 4-5.6 III.

So you are saying my camera is very limited concerning enlargements. I was never told that when I bought it. It makes great posters. No, not really.

So renting a $2500 L lens would not significantly improve my lot if I were lucky enough to get a good shot?

Thank you for responding.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:35 PM   #5

There will always be a bottleneck somewhere. Whether it's your Canon 75-300, your 6MP 10D or the $2500 L Lens depends on what you want to do with the result. For 4X6 and even 8X10 the 10D and 75-300 are fine, but the 20/2.8 and 50/1.4 are better than the 6MP 10D. For publishing in a magazine, I'd get a better body. (... and replace the 75-300 soon thereafter.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:39 PM   #6

Thanks. I needed direction. I am now thinking of pulling out my 620 and 650 if I can locate the batteries.