Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:13 PM   #1

Default My Canon S2 IS died, what to buy now?

My S2 finally died with the fatal E18 error and I know Canon would charge me too much to repair it. I'm trying to decide on something to replace it, like maybe the SX10 or the Panasonic FZ28. But, in the meantime, I need something dirt cheap to get me by while I research and save up for a good one. Any recommendations around 150.00 or less? Are any of the Kodak Easy Share cameras good for kids/action shots, as well as indoor/ low light? Any others you'd recommend I look at?
katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:02 AM   #2

Hi and welcome to Steve's

Apon reading your critera I wold propose the Canon A 590 Is. My wife and I bought one for her Grandmother last year and we are simply blown away with the quality of the pictures for such a cheap camera. Google shopping as it listed from $94.00 to $222.00. Here is a link http://www.google.com/products/catal...m=4#ps-sellers
I would caution if you buy online, to buy from a reputable dealer as you don't want to end up with a grey market camera. B&H has this camera listed as discontinued but I see alot of them still in the stores like Wal Mart and Staples. Canon's own web site has it listed for $129.00. This web sited has this camera listed on it's best camera page in the compact segment. Here is a link to a full on review of this camera from this web site. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...on_a590is.html

As for the Kodak Easyshare entry level cameras I don't have any experience so I don't wan't to comment one way or the other. However since you are looking at possibly getting a super zoom in the future like the SX 10 or FZ 28 may I suggest looking at the Kodak Easyshare Z1012 Is. It rated #1 in it's class according to Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2009. It has a 10 Mega pixel sensor and 12X optical zoom. ( 33 - 396mm in 35 mm equivalent). This camera also made this web sites best camera page in the Super zoom category. This camera is only $50.00 more than your max $199.00 and could last you many years until you are ready to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Here is a link to a full on review. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...k_z1012is.html

A friend of mine has this very camera and took it to a New Kids On The Block concert recently (Don't ask) and captured some really great shots. I was really immpressed.

Good Luck and have a good time shopping

Steve
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3

Thank you so much! My husband surprised me last night with a 100.00 gift card he had been stashing away, and told me to use it on my camera. So, now I can afford the good one that I want. I'm deciding between the Panasonic FZ28 and the Canon SX10 IS. Any thoughts on these two before I make my decision?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:58 PM   #4

Tough one to call. A few months ago I bought a DSLR but at first I was considering these exact two cameras. I believe you can't go wrong with either one. The Canon has a hot shoe for an external flash. An external flash is better in my opinion than the built in flash. If you are going to take video. I have read the Canon has better sound than the panasonic, but the panasonic has HD video capabilities. DP review did a comparison and on paper the Canon beats out the Panasonic but Dp review said if they had to choose the would go with the Panisonic. Here's a link to the test. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/
I would seek out Sarah Joyce's advice she is extreamly knowledgeable, especially when it comes to Super Zooms. She has wonderful pictures with her Panasonic FZ28.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Steve
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 1:15 PM   #5

I have a new baby coming due Christmas Day, so want good pictures and definitely need video capabilities. I have never used an external flash, but that might be a good idea with the baby. My S2 takes iffy indoor pictures sometimes. I usually put it in manual mode to get good indoor shots. I also use the camera for concerts, NASCAR races and vacations. Oh, and I'm a NKOTB fan, too. I used to love them, way back when I was 16.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6

Hi Katina.
I know that the S2 IS is far from being latest technology however; if you were happy with it and you feel the problem is no fault of your own then it may be worth at least discussing it with Canon. Even if you can't get it fixed for FREE and feel that it is time to upgrade anyway; Canon does reward loyal so no harm can come from simply stating your case in wanting to free yourself of the problem.

BTW; I notice that a survey of the E18 error lists the S2 IS as being the greatest offender; being almost double the nearest rival.
High_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:21 PM   #7

I'm almost a year behind in my research (jumped on tonight to look something up for a friend) but FWIW, from the mom's perspective, I LOVE my S5 IS for photographing my 1 year old (since birth) and 4 year old. And the video is fantastic...not as good as my HD video camera, but it gets used a lot more. I love that I can just start a video with the touch of a button as soon as one of them does something adorable. I send a lot of clips to the granparents. And it's done a pretty good job of capturing their voices.
joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote