Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:11 PM   #11
Administrator

I looked again and B&H has some XT kits with a Canon 18-55mm lens for around $300 you may want to consider, too. I missed those when I browsed the used listings the first time around. But, you wouldn't have stabilization with the 18-55mm kit lenses I see with the kits in that price range. You'll see some of them here:

Used Canon dSLR listings at B&H
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:22 PM   #12

I thought all Canon lenses had stabilization built into them. I thought it was the 18-55mm from Nikon that didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I looked again and B&H has some XT kits with a Canon 18-55mm lens for around $300 you may want to consider, too. I missed those when I browsed the used listings the first time around. But, you wouldn't have stabilization with the 18-55mm kit lenses I see with the kits in that price range. You'll see some of them here:

Used Canon dSLR listings at B&H
LadyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:30 PM   #13
Administrator

No Canon or Nikon dSLR models have stabilization build into their camera bodies. They do not offer dSLR models with a camera body based stablization system. So, you have to use stabilized lenses with them if you want that feature. The older Canon and Nikkor 18-55mm lens models were not stabilized (although they do offer stabilized versions of them now).

Nikon's VR (Vibration Reduction) lenses are stabilized, and Canon's IS (Image Stabilization) lenses are stabilized. Some third party lenses like Tamron's VC (Vibration Control) series lenses and Sigma's OS (Optical Stablization) series lenses also have stabilization.

All Konica Minolta and Sony dSLR models have stabilization built into the camera body (so that any lens you use on them enjoys the benefits of stabilization). Some Pentax and some Olympus models have stabilization built into the camera bodies, too.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:41 PM   #14

I'm clear on Nikon and Canon not having stabilization built into their bodies, but rather built into their lenses. But, I also read that ALL of the lenses that come with Canon's current lineup of dSLRs have stabilization in them. That would include the kit lenses of their entry level dSLRs like the Rebel, Rebel XT, XTi, etc. No?

Quote:
No Canon or Nikon dSLR models have stabilization build into their camera bodies. They do not offer dSLR models with a camera body based stablization system. So, you have to use stabilized lenses with them if you want that feature. The older Canon and Nikkor 18-55mm lens models were not stabilized (although they do offer stabilized versions of them now).

Nikon's VR (Vibration Reduction) lenses are stabilized, and Canon's IS (Image Stabilization) lenses are stabilized. Some third party lenses like Tamron's VC (Vibration Control) series lenses and Sigma's OS (Optical Stablization) series lenses also have stablization.

All Konica Minolta and Sony dSLR models have stablization built into the camera body (so that any lens you use on them enjoys the benefits of stablization). Some Pentax and some Olympus models have stabilization built into the camera bodies, too.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:52 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
I'm clear on Nikon and Canon not having stabilization built into their bodies, but rather built into their lenses. But, I also read that ALL of the lenses that come with Canon's current lineup of dSLRs have stabilization in them. That would include the kit lenses of their entry level dSLRs like the Rebel, Rebel XT, XTi, etc. No?
The Canon XT and XTi kits came with a non-stabilized 18-55mm lens. If you want a Canon 18-55mm IS (Image Stabilization) lens included in a kit, you'll need to go with one of the newer camera bodies (for example, the XS or XSi).

You'll need look for IS in the lens model name if you want a stabilized lens in the Canon lineup, or look for VR (Vibration Reduction) in the lens model name in the Nikon lineup. They older kits you're looking at did not come with stabilized kit lenses.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:04 PM   #16

Ohhh! Now that you mention that, I don't remember seeing IS in the lens names of the older Canon's I was looking at. Thanks!

Quote:
The Canon XT and XTi kits came with a non-stabilized 18-55mm lens. If you want a Canon 18-55mm IS (Image Stabilization) lens included in a kit, you'll need to go with one of the newer camera bodies (for example, the XS or XSi).

You'll need look for IS in the lens model name if you want a stabilized lens in the Canon lineup, or look for VR (Vibration Reduction) in the lens model name in the Nikon lineup. They older kits you're looking at did not come with stabilized kit lenses.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:48 PM   #17

Due to a fortunate occurrence, my budget just went up. I can go up to $550 including s/h, but I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. So, what am I looking at now?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 3:27 PM   #18

Your budget is a limiting factor along with your hands. An entry level dSLR is what your looking for, given that your looking for a dSLR and not a bridge camera (between a Point & Shoot and a dSLR).

I am partial to Pentax and they had a very capable, but very basic entry level camera with the K100D or K100D Super (the only difference is that the super can use the new Pentax SMD lenses) - they are out of production now. Ritz camera went out of business and a number of folks bought a lot of new K100D and are selling them on ebay from time to time for $300 +/- usually with the kit lens (18-55mm a very good kit lens).

As has been said, it has body image stabilization, 6MP (I have one even though I have upgraded to a K20). It is a wonderful camera - I can't say enough about it. One nice thing is that it can use any K or M42 (with an adapter) mounted lens (pentax, sigma, tokina, etc.) made, and a lot of them are pretty inexpensive.

Another option is the K2000D - and that is going for $450 +/- and is Pentax's new entry level camera. 10MP, in body image stabilization, and better auto focusing than that of the top of the line k20 (it has been said since its a year newer). It uses AA bateries. It is just a good basic entry level dSLR. It has the scene modes (like the k100) and a dust reduction system like the k20. It is also a light weight compact camera. Uses any Pentax K or M42 mount lens ever made (m42 needs an adapter).

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...&sku=PKK2000KT

... and buydig is a reputiable vendor (I and many others have used them).

Just a suggestion. Pentax usually has the best value for the price - especially with the in body IS.

Since you want to go the dSLR route, this is essentially an investment given that your probably going to be adding lenses. Hoya bought Pentax a bit over a year ago, and they also own Tokina. For relatively inexpensive lenses, I have found that Tokina, Sigma and Tamron offer good value, and you can pick up some older manual lenses for a song. Pentax and Tokina have co designed a number of Pentax lenses - the 10-17FE and 12-24, also the 16-50, I believe.

For more information on Pentax and to see some shots from the K2000 go down to the Pentax dSLR forum....

Hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 3:54 PM   #19
Administrator

It looks like Amazon.com has the Sony A200 kit with the 18-70mm kit lens for $449.99 with free shipping right now ($50 off). If you add it to your cart, you can see the discounted price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00125MHVM

Some dealers are sold out the A200 now. It's being replaced by the new Sony A230 (which is priced at about $549, which is higher than the A200 was selling for at $499 from most dealers). The new A230 model is smaller and lighter compared to the A200, but Sony removed the dedicated AEL button found on the A200. The A230 comes with a new 18-55mm kit lens.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:44 PM   #20

Thanks so much for the information. I'm going to go to that forum, as you suggested, and take a look at some of the pics. I do remember the Pentax name from when I was small. They have been around for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Your budget is a limiting factor along with your hands. An entry level dSLR is what your looking for, given that your looking for a dSLR and not a bridge camera (between a Point & Shoot and a dSLR).

I am partial to Pentax and they had a very capable, but very basic entry level camera with the K100D or K100D Super (the only difference is that the super can use the new Pentax SMD lenses) - they are out of production now. Ritz camera went out of business and a number of folks bought a lot of new K100D and are selling them on ebay from time to time for $300 +/- usually with the kit lens (18-55mm a very good kit lens).

As has been said, it has body image stabilization, 6MP (I have one even though I have upgraded to a K20). It is a wonderful camera - I can't say enough about it. One nice thing is that it can use any K or M42 (with an adapter) mounted lens (pentax, sigma, tokina, etc.) made, and a lot of them are pretty inexpensive.

Another option is the K2000D - and that is going for $450 +/- and is Pentax's new entry level camera. 10MP, in body image stabilization, and better auto focusing than that of the top of the line k20 (it has been said since its a year newer). It uses AA bateries. It is just a good basic entry level dSLR. It has the scene modes (like the k100) and a dust reduction system like the k20. It is also a light weight compact camera. Uses any Pentax K or M42 mount lens ever made (m42 needs an adapter).

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...&sku=PKK2000KT

... and buydig is a reputiable vendor (I and many others have used them).

Just a suggestion. Pentax usually has the best value for the price - especially with the in body IS.

Since you want to go the dSLR route, this is essentially an investment given that your probably going to be adding lenses. Hoya bought Pentax a bit over a year ago, and they also own Tokina. For relatively inexpensive lenses, I have found that Tokina, Sigma and Tamron offer good value, and you can pick up some older manual lenses for a song. Pentax and Tokina have co designed a number of Pentax lenses - the 10-17FE and 12-24, also the 16-50, I believe.

For more information on Pentax and to see some shots from the K2000 go down to the Pentax dSLR forum....

Hope that helps...