Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:02 PM   #21

Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It looks like Amazon.com has the Sony A200 kit with the 18-70mm kit lens for $449.99 with free shipping right now ($50 off). If you add it to your cart, you can see the discounted price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00125MHVM

Some dealers are sold out the A200 now. It's being replaced by the new Sony A230 (which is priced at about $549, which is higher than the A200 was selling for at $499 from most dealers). The new A230 model is smaller and lighter compared to the A200, but Sony removed the dedicated AEL button found on the A200. The A230 comes with a new 18-55mm kit lens.
LadyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:34 PM   #22

Happy Sunday, everyone. Does anyone know anything about Cameta Camera? They have some really nice packages built around mint condition factory demos. All their stuff comes with a year's warranty, and the prices are right. Opinions? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:45 PM   #23

See http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CametaCamera

Adorama also sells factory refurbished dSLRs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:28 PM   #24

Thanks, TCav. I found my way to Reseller Ratings. It occurred to me, after posting, to do a search and I saw the link in an older thread.

I've been checking out Adorama; actually, practically living on the website as I've researched/compared, etc. But, I haven't seen entire kits (body, lens, extra batteries, case, external flash, memory cards) offered by Adorama, whereas Cameta does - and at prices I can afford.

Now that I know they are legitimate, and are well-regarded, they have been a game changer for me. Suddenly cameras that were out of my budget are no longer so. And, I'm right back to square one - which to choose. Eenie, meeny, miney, mo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
See http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CametaCamera

Adorama also sells factory refurbished dSLRs.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 7:34 PM   #25

You still want stabilization, right? ... in the body, right?

That means Konica Minolta, Olympus, Pentax and Sony.

Konica Minolta and Sony have the best selection of used autofocus lenses. Pentax has a very good selection of lenses, but many of them aren't autofocus. Olympus has few lenses available on the used market.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 7:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
.... But, I haven't seen entire kits (body, lens, extra batteries, case, external flash, memory cards) offered by Adorama, whereas Cameta does - and at prices I can afford. ....
Irregardless of what camera you purchase, the body and lens kit is usually a very good packaged value. A package with extra batteries, case, external flash and memory cards much less so. Batteries and memory cards especially can be purchased separately at very good prices. External flashed also, along with cases. So I would not spend any additional time looking for kits containing anything beyond the body and lens.

From time to time, the manufactures packaged kits - body, lens and flash (Pentax from time to time) at very good prices via the retailers - that would be an exception to the rule.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:22 PM   #27

If you are getting impatient, you're welcome not to comment further. Thank you for your help to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You still want stabilization, right? ... in the body, right?

That means Konica Minolta, Olympus, Pentax and Sony.

Konica Minolta and Sony have the best selection of used autofocus lenses. Pentax has a very good selection of lenses, but many of them aren't autofocus. Olympus has few lenses available on the used market.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:28 PM   #28

If I can get everything in one package, all the better. However, I wouldn't let that be the basis for a buying decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Irregardless of what camera you purchase, the body and lens kit is usually a very good packaged value. A package with extra batteries, case, external flash and memory cards much less so. Batteries and memory cards especially can be purchased separately at very good prices. External flashed also, along with cases. So I would not spend any additional time looking for kits containing anything beyond the body and lens.

From time to time, the manufactures packaged kits - body, lens and flash (Pentax from time to time) at very good prices via the retailers - that would be an exception to the rule.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
If you are getting impatient, you're welcome not to comment further. Thank you for your help to this point.
I'm sorry. I did not mean to imply that I'm getting impatient. I was just wondering, as you've accumulated information here and elsewhere, if your goals have changed?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:07 AM   #30
Administrator

In addition to amazon.com having a sale price on the A200 ($449.99 cart price, which is $50 off the regular price of $499.99), it looks like Ritz and Wolf Camera have the Sony A200 on sale for $449.99, too. I suspect that any dealers that still have them in stock are going to offer the same thing (any discounts from authorized dealers are usually sanctioned by Sony). Here it is on the RitzCamera.com web site. If you check the weekly ads for Wolf and Ritz Camera stores in your area, you'll probably see the same $449.99 sale price after $50 off. I wouldn't wait too long if you decide to go that route (it appears that many dealers are sold out of the Sony A200, now that it's being replaced with the new Sony A230)

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/542085352.htm

BTW, here's a 10 page review of the A200 I noticed recently that compares it with some of the other popular models in that niche (Nikon D60, Pentax K200D, Canon Rebel XS, Olympus E-420). If you look at the "Our Take" section on last page of the review, the author clearly thought it was a much better value compared to the other cameras.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3434&p=1

Of course, each user is going to have preferences in a camera, and that tends to add some amount of bias to many reviews. Likewise, I'm probably biased a bit towards the A200 since I shoot with a Sony A700 right now.

I'd check them out in a store and see what you're comfortable with. Any of the entry level dSLR models can take great photos.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote