Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:10 AM   #1

Default Choosing a COMPACT superzoom.

Time to upgrade from my Canon Pro-90 IS, I want the same zoom capability, in a smaller, faster, camera with higher resolution and better video capibility. After reading the reviews, the Panasonic's new Lumix ZS3 and the Canon PowerShot SX200 IS,seem to come the closest to fitting the bill of what I'm looking for in a new camera. Both got good reviews, and both are within my budget. Camera will be general use, family funcions, weekend trips, I also like to take short videos of action shooting competition, and image items to post to the web for sale. I'm a home health / hospice nurse, and will also occasionally use the camera to image wounds, or record short bedside procedures for the physician to review later. Perhapse some of the more experienced camera users here can help me decide between them, or perhapse reccomend or point out something else I may have overlooked before I decide to buy?
JDBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2009, 11:57 AM   #2

If you are limiting your choices to the "compact super zoom" models, then I would agree with your selections of the ZS3 (or ZS1) and SX200. I'm a Canon user too (A620/G9), and would tend to stick with the Canon product. However, the pop-up flash is cited by several SX200 users as an irritant, since it is always popped-up when the camera is turned on. This would be a deal-breaker for me with the SX200.

The ZS3 has a slightly wider zoom (25mm) when compare to the SX200 (28mm). There is a recent trend to making zooms wider, with more users requesting it. I would see this as a positive factor for choosing the ZS3. Both cameras have received good reviews on several sites, but the direct comparison tests on DPR for several compact super zooms placed the ZS3/ZS1 at the top, with the SX200 in the middle of the pack.

If you want to stick to the nearly identical zoom range of your Canon Pro-90, then consider the Sony H20, which also showed excellent results in the DPR comparisions.

Dennis

Last edited by denncald; Jun 6, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:07 PM   #3

I've been mulling about the same decision over the last few weeks. I ultimately went for the Panasonic, but the TZ5. I just bought it from Amazon for $212, instead of $399 for the ZS3, and the functions are essentially identical (10x vs 12x zoom and 9 vs 10 mp). The cost savings more than outweighed the negligible upgrade in features for me. Also, the burst mode and time between taking shots (especially when using the flash) for the Panasonic is superior to the Canon 200is.

Good luck
khall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:23 PM   #4

I have been researching for the last three months and various reviewers have placed the Panasonic ZS3 at the top. The problem is you cannot find them for sale from the top tier of on-line vendors. A month ago most vendors were saying they would have the ZS3 by June 8 but that is past. Now one vendor says they are looking at July.
Bluerapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:20 AM   #5

I just found it on Amazon for $385 with free shipping. I didn't purchase one, so you can have it. :-)

Actually, my daughter is probably going to buy one for her husband, so I better tell her about it quick...don't tell anyone about it...our little secret.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote