Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:32 AM   #1

Default Panasonic Lumix FZ28 or Nikon P90?

I want to purchase a bridge camera that takes excellent action pictures of a boxer breed dog. I've pretty much narrowed my search to the Panasonic Lumix FZ28 and Nikon P90 but would love to hear your recommendations.
cynziao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:06 PM   #2

I would recommend the Panasonic FZ28 over the Nikon P90 - although the P90 has nice features and a decent amount of fans. Here's a link to a megazoom bridge camera comparison test. The Nikon featured is the P80, not the P90. But there two Nikons aren't that different.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:26 AM   #3

I'd be inclined to suggest that the FZ28 is both a better camera and a better value. However a review of a P80 would not be a basis any judgements as the P90 has both a different lens and different sensor.

You can compare pictures from both cameras here: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=1&ma1=31&mo1=699&p1=5066&ma2=60&mo2=5 83&p2=3727&ph=2

Steve has reviewed both camera:
P90: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2009_...nikon_p90.html

FZ28: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...onic_fz28.html

Be sure to read both Steve's conclusions and view the sample pictures.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:43 AM   #4

See the other thread. Nikon makes good DSLRs. Their p&s are made by someone else sold and under Nikon brand. Nikon P90, Kodak Z980 and Pentax X70 is made by the same Chinese company. All three cameras are almost identical.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
...Nikon P90, Kodak Z980 and Pentax X70 is made by the same Chinese company. All three cameras are almost identical...
It's nice to have this explicitly spelt out here, though Sarah Joyce (mtclimber) and others have alluded to it.

How do the prices compare under the three brands?

And where did the design really come from? Is it a descendant of the Kodak Z-series cameras, as its body and lenses (all 'Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon') seem to be, or what?

I speak as a Z712 & Z1012 owner, who sees little advantage in upgrading to any of these, for the money I'd have to pay.

As a good friend of a top-of-the-range Nikon owner, I am a little horrified at that brand's descent almost to my level!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
It's nice to have this explicitly spelt out here, though Sarah Joyce (mtclimber) and others have alluded to it.

How do the prices compare under the three brands?

And where did the design really come from? Is it a descendant of the Kodak Z-series cameras, as its body and lenses (all 'Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon') seem to be, or what?
In the US all have an MSRP of $399.95. I didn't check the actual market prices.

I don't doubt that all came from the same factory but there does seem to be some level of individualizing among the brands. The Nkon and the Pentax are powered by different LiIon batteries while the Kodak uses NiMH AAs. The Kodak alone has a hot shoe and RAW. There may also be lens differences as the Kodak seems to focus a little closer in Macro mode. I've done an informal review of the sample photos in various reviews suggests differences in color rendering among the three and other image proccessing differences such as NR, speed and buffer capacity. The Nikon for instance appears to do a better job at ISO 400 and 800 than the Kodak.

It's well known that name on the lens of a P&S doesn't represent the actual manufacturer. Leica doesn't make the lenses on Panasonics, Zeiss doesn't make the lenses on Sonys and S-K doesn't make the lenses on the Kodaks. What is not known (except to insiders) is the degree to which the named company participated in the design. Is it simply a marketing agreement? A review and acceptance of the design? Actual design? Manufacturing technology support?

The consumer reputation for Nikon and Pentax is largely based on their DSLRs. Are they unfairly trading on that reputation? Actually Pentax does have a position in the P&S market separate from their DSLRs as one of the few participants in the weatherproof/waterproof market.

Kodak has only its P&S line on which to base its consumer reputation. They need to have at least a few cameras that are either performance leaders (the P880 in its day) or price/perfomance (value) leaders (the Z612/Z712 in their day) or they will start have problems getting self space in the big outlets which I think make up a good part of their sales in the US. The Z980 looks like an attempt in that direction with its feature set that just doesn't quite deliver on either performance or price. Kodak is more vunerable to harm than either Nikon or Pentax.

A. C.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:18 PM   #7

Thanks for an informed reply, a.c. That's what I'd feared. They just keep digging a bigger hole.

We still don't know who originated this branch of the genetic tree, do we? I can't understand why they'd collaborate on the hardware, but not the software. Or is it some clever individual who sold the same idea to all three?

Last edited by Alan T; Jun 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
...We still don't know who originated this branch of the genetic tree, do we? I can't understand why they'd collaborate on the hardware, but not the software. Or is it some clever individual who sold the same idea to all three?
I suspect most of those that know the roots of the genetic tree are under non-disclosure agreements and even those that are not can't reveal their sources.

I suspect that a hardware manufacturing/design company offers a flexible hardware platform with a generous firmware storage area to companies with a "Name" that believe that they cannot design/manufacture consumer products on a cost effective basis. Cost and "core expertise" beliefs are the drivers. Compared to hardware software is still relatively inexpensive.

A. C.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
I suspect that a hardware manufacturing/design company offers a flexible hardware platform with a generous firmware storage area to companies with a "Name" that believe that they cannot design/manufacture consumer products on a cost effective basis...
Yes, thanks. That would explain it for Kodak. But Nikon & Pentax! I am horrified.

Last edited by Alan T; Jun 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM.