Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:11 PM   #1

Default Which camera to choose?

Hi, Steve,

I want to buy a camera, but I can't decide which camera choose.
I considered Sony HX1, Nikon P90, Pentax X70, and Canon SX10. I'm biologist and I need the camera to shoot dangerous animals or easily frightened animals. And I want to shoot on small flowers, ranging closes to 2 cm.
My language is spanish, I hope you understand me.

My best wishes,
Salvador Contreras-Arquieta.
Bassariscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:26 AM   #2

I'd buy the Canon SX10. Unless you have a problem with its weight (600 grams), it's probably the best superzoom available and has outstanding macro (closeup) ability.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:28 AM   #3

Any reason why you are not considering the Panasonic FZ28 ?
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:47 AM   #4

I have a SX10, good camera except for low light situations.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:01 PM   #5

I'm very pleased with my FZ28, but the SX10 has a longer zoom and takes sharper pictures at the long end of the zoom. I would have bought the SX10 if it had been 150 grams lighter in weight.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:00 PM   #6

The FZ28 and SX10 both have 10 MP on the same sized sensor - 1/2.33" and 1/2.3"(respectively), while the Pentax X70 has 12 MP on a 1/2.33" sensor, and the Sony HX1 has 9 MP on a 1/2.4 CMOS sensor. More MP on the same small sensor will not help cut down the noise factor, which is an issue with all the point and shoot cameras with small sensors (when compared to a DSLR).

The FZ28 offers the ability to capture RAW images, while the SX10 does not. If you paid more for the Canon SX1 with a CMOS sensor, you would also be able to capture RAW images. However, it is not certain from the reviews I've seen that your image quality is better with the SX1 vs SX10. In fact, here is a review of the Sony HX1 compared to the SX1 (both CMOS sensors) and the FZ28 (with CCD), and the FZ28 competes well.

Here's a review that directly compares the SX10 with the FZ28. To me, the quality is about equal. The SX10 offers something that the FZ28 does not, a hotshoe for external flash. That often makes a big difference in the quality of images you can capture, especially when you have access to the many excellent Canon flash units out there.

I would recommend the SX10 based on it's excellent reviews,the zoom range, the articulating LCD, excellent macro capability, the hotshoe, and the excellent video mode.

I only found one review of the Pentax X70, and it was not very favorable.

Dennis

Last edited by denncald; Jun 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7

Both the Canon SX10 and the Panasonic FX28 are excellent cameras and probably the best alll around ultra-zoom cameras available. However we need to remember that the OP is a biologist looking for a field camera.

Both the Sony HX1 and the H50 bring one capability each into the mix that cannot be duplicated with either SX10 nor the FX28. The HX1 will shoot 10 frames per second continuously at full resolution. This opens up the capability to do motion/sequence studies. The H50 on the other hand has Sony's infrared nightshot capability (as does the older H5 and H9 cameras) which may be useful for night studies without disturbing the subjects. Resolution from the H50 will be on a par with the SX10 and both have essentially the same macro capabilities as the either the Canon or the Pany.

The OP will have to examine his field camera needs to detirmine if either of these capabilities adds enough to his field work to tilt the selection that way.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:32 PM   #8

Default Thanks

Hi, friends.
I wish to say thank you very much for your answers to my question. I have a Fujifilm S9000, but complete zoom digital (2X + 10X optical zoom) satisfay no my requeriments today. I imagine the 20X optical zoom (or more), combined with digital zoom, will satisfay me better. I think I will choose the Sony HX1 for its speed (1/4000). The sun light is high y 1/2000 produces appearing white areas in the flower picture (is a example). I'm not a pro photographer. I've sold pictures of nature and they give me extra money.

I have a lot of original pictures mine in Webshots (www.webshots.com) in my albums under user name sarquiet. I share with you to know my country, Mexico (Nuevo Leon State, Monterrey City).

Thanks.
Bassariscus is offline   Reply With Quote