Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera with details d90
Nikon D90 5 55.56%
Nikon d5000 1 11.11%
Canon Rebel T1i 1 11.11%
Other please specify 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:08 PM   #11
crb

I think I have made up my mind not that it wasn't primarily made up before hand, I guess it is just confirmed.

What lens should I get to get started, I will probably be shooting landscape scenes at first, family picture, and kids sports?

Does Nikon usually run promo's or rebates a certain time during the year. What is the best time to buy? Can great deals be found say black friday?
crb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Administrator

With a D90, I'd probably get the Nikkor 18-105mm kit lens with it for starters and use it as a walk around lens. The kit including it adds less than $200 to the D90 body only price from what I can see from listings at reputable vendors now.

As for kid sports, that depends on what kind of sports you want to shoot. For something like baseball, you may want something like a 70-300mm zoom (and quality can vary a lot between them). For indoor sports (or night sports under the lights), you'll need a very bright lens to keep shutter speeds fast enough to reduce motion blur.

I'd go into more detail on the type of sports you want to shoot, as well as the conditions (day, night, indoors), letting members know if you can get close to the action or not (i.e., shooting from the sidelines/floor versus stands). We have some sports shooters that can give you some tips on some of the pros and cons of different solutions, depending on the sport and venue.

Black Friday, huh? I dunno. I don't track the sales much. By that time, there will probably be a number of new cameras out, and competition helps to keep prices down. But, if you wait for prices to drop before buying, you won't be enjoying the use of a camera in the interim. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:23 AM   #13
crb

outdoor baseball, soccer, football will be primarily what I will be shooting for sports right now. I am not to worried about black friday sales I just hate buying something and then 30-60 days later the prices drops a bunch or there is a huge sale.

I really appreciate everyone's help!!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:22 AM   #14

If soccer and baseball are played on full sized fields you'll need at least a 300mm lens IF YOU'RE SHOOTING FROM RIGHT ON THE FIELD. If you're behind a fence then make that a 400mm lens. For young kids on smaller fields, 200mm will suffice.

Also of note - if you plan on shooting any type of night games for any of the three sports you would need an f2.8 lens. For day games you can get by with the f5.6 lenses

You should understand going in that sports photography is one of the most equipment intensive types of photography. And having field access makes a huge difference. Trying to shoot full field soccer or football from stands isn't going to produce a lot of good results.

My lens recommmendation for the sports work would be a sigma 100-300 f4 ($1000). One of our Nikon shooters rjseeney used to shoot with the nikon 70-300 and didn't have a lot of positive comments about it as a sports lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:23 PM   #15
crb

that helps a lot I am just talking about kids games so field access isnt a problem. Will the kit lens be good for the zoo.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb View Post
Will the kit lens be good for the zoo.
Each zoo will be different, but from the couple I go to, I would say at least 200mm. The 18-105 is going to be a bit short.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:40 PM   #17
crb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Each zoo will be different, but from the couple I go to, I would say at least 200mm. The 18-105 is going to be a bit short.
Thanks I have a couple books I am reading on photography, it is just a lot to take in. I really appreciate th help from everyone.