Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera with details d90
Nikon D90 5 55.56%
Nikon d5000 1 11.11%
Canon Rebel T1i 1 11.11%
Other please specify 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:43 PM   #1
crb

Default Nikon D90 vs. Nikon 5000D vs Canon Rebel T1i

I am looking for a dslr camera. I am a first time buyer, but want a camera I can learn on and will last me into more advanced use. I have a budget of $1500 which is also not firm. The budget is just for my starter set up I can afford additional lenses and accessories later. I have held the D90 and love the feel. I have big hands. I held the 5000d and it was smaller and not quite as comfortable, but tolerable. I like the swivel screen, but am not sure how important that it is. I want a camera that I will have a wide range of uses. I want to be able to take inside pics, portraits, landscape, close ups, vacations, etc. Any help will be greatly appreicated. Thanks!!

Last edited by crb; Jun 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM.
crb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:20 PM   #2

Big Hands and Big Thumbs. Yep, that smaller Canon is not going to feel as comfortable versus the larger Nikon.

Personally I like the feel of the 40/50D over the D90. Better yet, grab the Sony A700, perfect for Big Hands with Big Thumbs.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:58 PM   #3

Another camera to try is the Pentax K20. Pentax has just announced a new camera and the K20 can be had for about half what it was originally selling for (now around $700), an excellent buy right now. So you would have enough money for another lens. The K20 is a larger camera, but not as big as the D50. Its ergonomics are really nice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4

Default D90 v D5000 v 5000t

My advice: get the D90. It is a much more solid camera than the other two. I own the D90, a Canon 40D, and a Canon 50D. I'm probably going to unload the 40D just because I don't need three camera bodies. If you can get a good price on the Nikon D90, buy it. It has the best feel of any of the cameras you've compared. I've compared the D5000 and the 5000T (Canon) at Costco. They both feel cheaply made to me. At their price points, they have to have cut corners somewhere and I'd put my money on the shutter and, of course, the kit lenses. I will say that the Nikon kit lenses 18-55 and 55-200 are far better than the Canon 18-55. OTOH, the Canon 18-200 IS and the Nikon 18-200 DX VX blah blah are both outstanding lenses for everyday. The advantage of the Canon over the Nikon is that at the moment Canon has a much better selection of lenses and the Canon will take both full frame (EF) and crop frame (EF-S) lenses. They have two lenses that are to die for in the EF-S category: 10-22 and 17-55 (both 2.8 lenses).

If you are comparing the D90, you might want to look at the Canon 40D - they are still available at very reasonable prices. If its video you're looking for, then the three you've mentioned (plus maybe the Canon 50D) are about it in your price range.

HTH
mrfearless47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:01 PM   #5
crb

I am not concerned about video I have a nice video camera.
crb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:23 AM   #6

If you're not concerned about video, get yourself a more durable camera. In this category I'd place the D90, the Canon 40D or 50D. All these are much more durably made so far as I can tell than the other two models. Frankly, anything at 10 megapixels or more will serve you well for everything you want to do UNTIL you want to go to a full frame camera. And at that point, you're looking at anywhere from 2x to 6x your price range. Good deals abound on the D90, 40D, and 50D. I know nothing about the Pentax camera or the SONY or Olympus. I've been a Canon user for over 30 years and have recently added the Nikon to my kit. In my experience, the Canons are superb for action, landscape and photojournalism; the Nikon excels at portraits and people photography. They are both superb for macro photography.
mrfearless47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:03 AM   #7

One of the nice things about the Pentax K20 is that its weather sealed - great for snowshoeing and using around deserts (I do both). And it can use any Pentax lens ever made (though the M42 screw mount lenses need an adaptor). I'm using a couple of lenses that I first purchased in 1980. It's been fun dusting off my old film stuff and re-using it, and I'm able to buy used lenses for quite a bit less than what their new equivalent lenses would cost now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Administrator

Personally, in your budget range, I'd lean towards models using a Sony 12MP Sensor (Nikon D300, Nikon D90, Nikon D5000, Sony A700). Out of those, I'd probably go Sony A700 first (of course, I'm a bit biased since I shoot with a Sony A700 now and like it). ;-)

If I had to give up my Sony A700 for one of them, I'd probably go with a Nikon D300 as a first choice, even though I really don't like the D300 as much as my Sony A700 (and the Nikon D300 may be a bit over your desired budget anyway), followed by a Nikon D90, followed by the Nikon D5000 if I had to (but, only if I had to, since I don't like the D5000's lens restrictions requiring the use of a lens with a built in motor if you want Autofocus).

Try them out in a store and see what you're comfortable with from an ergonomics, size and weight perspective (keeping in mind that weight will shift forward if you use
a heavier lens on a lighter body, which can impact camera balance). Look at specific lens options before deciding, too (factoring in the cost of any lenses you may want to use with a given camera model).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Nah, the D90 is a great camera.

Fantastic value, great sensor, modern tech. Even has handy video clip ability.

Would definitely be my mid-level DSLR pick.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:45 PM   #10

Given what you want to shoot, the D90 is a good choice I think. What is more important is the lenses you choose and the flash. Two benefits of Nikon are outstanding flash work (important for your portrait work) and a huge selection of auto-focus lenses. So, if you can find lenses and flash within your budget and you were happy with the ergonomics I think it's a great fit for your intended purposes.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote