Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:58 AM   #11

There maybe some other way to get everything you want Chris (since you are only looking to print 6x4 or 7x5 for your son's photo album.

If you get a superzoom with great HD video (Canon SX1 or Sony HX1) then you may be able to extract stills from the video - meaning you get exactly the action photos you want. Taking multiple 10 second clips should do it. You then also have a great camera for everything else you want.

However, I have never tried anything like this (maybe I'll try some low light HD videos this evening and post a still) but if you are courtside and with the camera on a tripod maybe it would work - maybe.

I posted a still from the HD video of the Sony HX1 in this thread (very very easy to extract using Sony's supplied software) but note it was taken on a bright sunny day:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...tml#post976895
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 2:28 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post

If you get a superzoom with great HD video (Canon SX1 or Sony HX1) then you may be able to extract stills from the video - meaning you get exactly the action photos you want. Taking multiple 10 second clips should do it. You then also have a great camera for everything else you want.

However, I have never tried anything like this (maybe I'll try some low light HD videos this evening and post a still) but if you are courtside and with the camera on a tripod maybe it would work - maybe.
It doesn't matter if you are recording as video or still as you can't get any higher shutter speeds unless you change the lens and ISO ability. As that won't be changed then it is better to get the highest resolution shots and downsize than start with a 2mp shot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 3:49 PM   #13

will do.

one last question so I understand everything. A D40 with a 55-200mm telephoto lens probably wont do anything more for me than the SX10, correct (regarding the sports shots)? lowest aperature is probably 3.5 or somewhere in that neighborhood.

shutter speed is probably similar between the two as is ISO. right?
chrisbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 4:15 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Yes and no, it has much better AF and produces much cleaner images at higher ISO but you are losing range and also you still won't get the indoor shots or those under the flood lights.

Even with a f2.8 lens you will struggle as the ISO doesn't go high enough. You could do the basketball if you shot from under the net with something like the Sigma 50mm f1.8 but you can't use the far cheaper Nikon 50mm f1.8 as it doesn't have an AF motor built into the lens. If you did look entry level then the Canon range is better as you can use the more basic lenses but you still will need to spend quite a bit and you will lose the video option. Outdoor sports under the lights still wont be an option without the 70-200mm f2.8 John mentions.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:30 PM   #15

got it. Once again, thank you. I'll be back after I get the SX10
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:59 AM   #16
Super Moderator

You're welcome Chris, always happy to help. When are you getting it?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:10 PM   #17

I think I'm going to get it Friday.
I was looking to see if there was any value on my old AE-1 and the various lenses I have but seems all said and done I can probably get $50 for the body and 3 lenses. Those lenses won't fit any of the newer Canon DSLRs will they? If they did, I could go the DSLR route and already have some decent lenses.

I went to Best Buy today and was playing with the SX10. Got some decent shots around the store for just picking it up and shooting, got some blurry ones too. I like being able to shoot video and get a still shot at the same time, thats pretty neat. Would be cool for the beach with the kids on their boogie boards. I need to learn the difference between ISO, F stops, etc... and what they actually do so I can get better pictures though. You've taught me already that shutter speed is not necessarily the most important thing in getting action shots

OK- Now I just read a post about the Sony HX1 being faster than the SX10 but similar in the other areas. Any advantage or no because the ISO and aperature settings are equivalent? I promise I'm going to understand this very soon!

Last edited by chrisbarth; Jun 16, 2009 at 1:19 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:19 PM   #18

What about the highspeed Casio Exilims (EX-FC100, EX-FH20, EX-F1) ? Wouldn't they be able to capture these sports shots, albeit in a lower resolution?
I understand that these cameras in no way compare to a dSLR with a long and bright/fast lens, but maybe if you're close enough, they might do the trick ...or am I talking out of my head?
RConsonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:59 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RConsonni View Post
What about the highspeed Casio Exilims (EX-FC100, EX-FH20, EX-F1) ? Wouldn't they be able to capture these sports shots, albeit in a lower resolution?
I understand that these cameras in no way compare to a dSLR with a long and bright/fast lens, but maybe if you're close enough, they might do the trick ...or am I talking out of my head?
It is the same as the point I made earlier, you still have to get the right exposure which comes down to aperture and ISO ability so the ability to shoot at hundreds of frames per second won't help.