Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Studying the manual while playing with the camera makes many things clear.
This is what I have been doing, I downloaded the PDF and, read as I tinker and, Google things such as aperture. I'll keep reading and, clicking till I understand.

Thanks for pointing me to the settings Andy, I found them.

Quote:
Hi James! I can see that you're enjoying your new cameras. I'm sure you'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun.
I'm having a blast thank you, the wife and I went to the park last night and took a few pictures. On the last picture, I'm not sure yet why I lost all my sky color, I'm thinking shutter speed ???

Thanks again
Attached Images

James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:07 AM   #32

Default Nice pics

Very nice pictures.

Quote:
On the last picture, I'm not sure yet why I lost all my sky color, I'm thinking shutter speed ???
Based on my experience with my FZ28 I'd guess that the sky was probably overcast to begin with.

But what you've observed is not uncommon. It's not a question of shutter speed but of dynamic range - the ability of the camera to take an accurate picture when dealing with areas of high contrast. Like any camera with a small sensor, the FZ28 has issues with dynamic range. If you had focused on the sky, the foliage would be darker than it should be. I understand that DSLR's with large sensors don't have this problem.

The FZ28 has a menu function called Intelligent Exposure which is designed to deal with the dynamic range issue. When the camera senses a big difference in brightness between the subject and background it will compensate for it. Intelligent exposure is automatically activated in auto mode, but if you put the camera in one of the other modes, like P or M, you can adjust intelligent exposure to have a more substantial effect (it has four levels, off, low, standard and high).

It's something I haven't fooled around with much but I intend to test it out.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:46 PM   #33

Thanks for the reply, I think you hit the nail on the head, I took these pictures just before sunset.
I'll have to experiment with the intelligent exposer as you said.
thanks again.
Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:50 PM   #34

Nice shot, James. Very peaceful.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
I'm not sure yet why I lost all my sky color, I'm thinking shutter speed
In images like that, there is no 'correct' solution. You need to take lots, with slightly different exposures, about 0.3 EV apart, and keep the best ones, of which there may be several.

What I do, on my Kodak Z712 or Z1012 superzooms, is twiddle the EV up and down until it looks good in the 'live view' electronic viewfinder, and then (without removing the camera from my eye), set it to 'bracket' a set of three exposures of (a) what I chose, and (b)+0.3EV and (c)-0.3EV around it.

While you're learning on your new camera, having it set to 'auto-bracket' all the time (i.e., take at least three images at different exposures) isn't a bad idea. It costs nothing to throw away two out of three shots and keep the best.

You may even find (as I did) that leaving it to do -0.3EV by default is best. This avoids burnt-out highlights, and later, if necessary, you can twiddle brighter by 'photoshopping' or equivalent.

Once you've learnt a little, you'll find that between your ears you have the ultimate 'intelligent exposer', that will beat anything software can do.

Last edited by Alan T; Jun 30, 2009 at 3:24 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:02 PM   #36

Thanks Andy , I must say I really enjoying my new hobby ...

Alan T

Thanks again for the tips, I still have lots of learning and, experimenting to do.
I find myself now just taking pictures of every and anything, I walk around the house, yard , where ever with my camera. In time I'll have it down.
Its funny you mention Photoshop, I took two of my pictures to create more of what I was trying to capture.
Attached Images