Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:28 AM   #1

Default Steve's S210 vs. his S220 review

The thing that excited me about Steve's review of the S210 was that the functionality was so limited and the controls so intuitive, it was a breeze to take pictures. And, he said the pictures looked great.

Now he reviews the S220 and mentions a few of the tradeoffs where they've added this functionality, taken away that because it wasn't needed. The ease-of-use is about the same, but he completely pans the image quality. Says it isn't that good at all.

Now, I remember surfing around and finding that Steve's review of the S210 was better than most people's review of it. But, there are so many people out there offering opinions, you never know who to believe. But, since Steve liked the image quality, that was good enough for me.

However, in his S220 reviews, he says nothing about how his opinion of the image quality of the S210 was superior. He just says the pictures look bad.

1.) Has Nikon made the image quality in this successor worse than the original? Or, 2.) has Steve backed off his positive reviews of the image quality in this line of Nikon's? I'm leaning towards 2.) because Steve was the only one I saw that really liked the image quality of the S210.

So, if I shouldn't get an S210 or an S220, what should I get? I'm really looking for something that was exactly what Steve described originally in the S210 review. Something very limited in functionality and super-easy to use, but takes great pics.

What I'm reading around this time I'm thinking about buying a camera is that Sony and Canon are really at the forefront of P&S cameras. But, the little I've seen, both those guys have cluttered menus and the such in trying to use the camera.
levander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:55 AM   #2

Dunno about those differences in Steve's evaluations. As for alternative choices, another camera with an equally streamlined menu system is the Panasonic FS-series. However in some cases the Panasonic colors will be more muted than with Nikon. The Canon SD1200 IS has nice color, but its controls are not quite so streamlined as the Nikon or Panasonic, plus it comes at a significantly higher price than the Nikon S220. The Sony W220 price is sandwiched in between the Nikon S220 and Canon SD1200. The W220 has rather busy controls, more so than the SD1200. When in doubt, buy from an outfit that makes returns easy.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:13 PM   #3

Thanks Kelly. My sister got one of those small Lumix's that had the 10x zoom a couple of years ago. And, I remember being very impressed with the menu system as soon as I touched it.

But, looking around, it seems the compact Sony's, the W220, W230, W290's, a lot of people are saying those are very easy to use too. And, since Sony is supposedly having better image quality in their compacts, right up there with Canon, that's what I'll probably get as soon as I have the money.

I had looked at Imagining Resource's web site for their review of a Sony compact. They don't like the UI, but they seem to be the only one.

CNet has a review of the Sony W290 where they like the UI. But, they note that Sony got rid of the Home and Menu buttons because they were confusing. Now they just have a Menu button. I looked on the back of the W220 and the W230, and they both have both a Home and Menu button. So, I still have some nitpick to make me think twice about the Sony's I'd get.

I'm really surprised so many of the web sites review these cameras mainly on their tech specs and picture quality. Most people just want to take a picture. They don't want to have to become an expert to fool with a couple of settings. They just want to take a picture. Just reading the reviews, it seems like ease of use is a sideline in them. But, for me, ease of use is #1, #2 is picture quality. As it really probably is with most people.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:13 PM   #4

And, I really was leaning towards the Panasonic FS-series you suggested until I noted that most people like the UI's on the Sony's.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by levander View Post
And, I really was leaning towards the Panasonic FS-series you suggested until I noted that most people like the UI's on the Sony's.
The Sony menus are more attractive (frankly, more like Canon). However my view is that Panasonic does a better job with the buttons on the back of the camera, so my "UI" preference would still be Panasonic.

Kelly
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:45 PM   #6

Damn, and just when I thought I had an angle.

I like Sony in general. I hate their attitude that they can release any weird piece of electronics, and because they slap the Sony brand on it, it becomes cool, and pricey. But, their core business, of audio (minus speakers) and televisions, they do nicely and are competitively priced. I was like about Sony that they have some kind of thing where you can plug your camera into your TV and manipulate your camera via the TV's remote. But, that's something I'd only do occasionally.

But, if the built-in UI is better on the Panasonic, I'm back to thinking that's the way to go....

Your comment, your saying Sony isn't any better than Canon, in your opinion?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:31 PM   #7

It's hard to find good reviews on the Lumix FS7. Trusted reviews has one, but it almost looks like a fluff piece, althought it does repeat some of the things you've said. Here's one I found by a pro photographer on his little play blog:

http://penaluna.blogspot.com/2009/06...s7-review.html

He basically verifies what you've said about it, but likes the image quality better than you do.

I still kind of hate to give up on Sony. I'm gonna read a little more about the W220/W230.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:10 PM   #8

Good heavens, no reason to give up on Sony if that's the one you like! Nicely built piece of gear that packs more useful options than Canon. It's your checkbook, not mine after all ....

Kelly
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:16 PM   #9

I got no idea which one I like. I'm going through the gut wrenching process of picking one.

The fluff piece on Trusted Reviews. They said the intent of the Panasonic FS series is too make a simple camera that's easy to use. Plus, the picture reviews, in the 2 places I've found them, have been more positive than you had mentioned earlier in the thread.

The FS series might be perfect for what I'm looking for.

Thanks for helping out.