Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2009, 4:24 AM   #1

Default Repair XTi or buy T1i?

Well recently my XTi got wet at the beach and now it's damaged. It turns on, but when I try to take a picture it does not focus and I get two error messages. One saying to turn the camera off and on, and the other saying the camera can't communicate with the lens. (which im assuming why it cant focus either) I know the lens is OK because it has been tested on another camera.

I got an estimate from Samy's camera for $220, and $17 shipping to get it fixed. Do you think it's worth getting fixed or should I just go ahead and get a T1i? Is the T1i really worth spending about $500 more?
luvallpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:25 AM   #2

Is there anything that your XTi doesn't do (or more precisely, didn't do) that the T1i does and that you want?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 8:09 AM   #3

That's really a million dollar question - repair or upgrade. If you are perfectly happy with your xti then getting it repaired probably makes the most economic sense. If there's something you really want on the T1i, then get it. Or if you just feel like you want a new camera and would feel uncomfortable using something that's been repaired then a new camera might be a happier choice for you. I don't think there's an ultimate right answer to this question, especially since your repair cost would be less than half the cost of a replacement.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallpups View Post
Well recently my XTi got wet at the beach and now it's damaged. It turns on, but when I try to take a picture it does not focus and I get two error messages. One saying to turn the camera off and on, and the other saying the camera can't communicate with the lens. (which im assuming why it cant focus either) I know the lens is OK because it has been tested on another camera.

I got an estimate from Samy's camera for $220, and $17 shipping to get it fixed. Do you think it's worth getting fixed or should I just go ahead and get a T1i? Is the T1i really worth spending about $500 more?
$220 + shipping and the repair warranty is good for how long?

You are spending roughly a 1/3 of the cost of the upgrade unit and how much of a direct replacement unit? And the repair warranty is good for how long?

Have you ever had to repair a camera before? Is such activity new to you because you normally take good care of your equipment? How much do you use your camera? Before this little problem, how long were you planning to keep the camera? Can you really afford the cost of a replacement camera(ie you happen to have that kind of $ just laying around and don't have any needs other than a camera)? Would you benefit from repairing this camera and budgeting for the replacement (keeping this camera for a second lens or backup)?

These questions you must ask yourself. Personally, I repair cars and major appliances because I am cheap, but always purchase new electronics. That said, I had a lightning strike at my home about 30 years ago. Paid to have the TV repaired. It still works today.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote