Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa4real007 View Post
...and if I could I'll try the T1i just to be sure.
I went to Costco yesterday and they have the T1i for $879, I believe. It is not much less that the MSRP and certainly a bit more than many online retailers. Not to mentioned the taxes that you have to pay. The great thing about Costco though, it's their excellent return policy (90 days). So, you can actually try it in the real world and return it if you really dislike it.

The camera felt very light (with the kit lens on) and "plasticly", both body and lens. It felt...cheap. However, the reviews I've come across so far are praising it left to right. Since buying a camera is IMO all about IQ, the T1i should be seriously considered.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:19 PM   #12

Thanks guys
I'll try to get my hand on one "my local store doesn't have it yet" but i'll try when i go to london next week.

If i buy Canon or Nikon what lens would i buy with it to shoot F1 Racing?
I know from Canon one of the member "TG" shot F1 racing Using one of Canon 400mm with TC and without TC
But how about other choice and what about Nikon?

Yes, I feel that Sony A700 would be my better choice "as i have good (not great) knowledge of the system and some controls!!! but i would like to know my options.

Anyway guys this forum been a big help on me loving and knowing photography. So Thank you

I'll post some pics when I buy one of the DSLR in London and Dubai.
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:16 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Your best bet would be to ask in the lenses forums for those cameras.

But, from what I can see browsing through posts, in the Nikon lineup, it looks like cameranserai (one of our members that shoots a lot of motorsports) seems to like the Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 VR when shooting from further away. But, that's a rather expensive lens (it's currently $6299 at B&H), and it's not a lightweight lens either (weighing in at over 7 lbs).

Nikon makes a less expensive 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens. But, from reviews I've found, it looks like it's a bit softer at wider apertures when zoomed into it's 400mm end, and most user reports I see indicate that it's focus speed is a bit slow.

In the Canon lineup, if you want 400mm, you've got the 400mm f/5.6L USM, and you've also got the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. How long you need is going to depend on your vantage point. But, you may want to keep the flexibility of a zoom if you're not sure.

If you want to use a TC with lenses that dim, you'd need to use a TC that doesn't report corrected aperture information (or use a 1 series body within the Canon lineup). Otherwise you won't have Autofocus, because you lose 1 stop of light with a 1.4x TC. So, an f/5.6 lens would become an f/8 lens (meaning only half the light gets through to the AF sensors, making it harder for a camera to focus).

You've also got a number of more expensive primes available in longer focal lengths from both Canon and Nikon, as well as some choices from third party manufacturers. I'd let members know what kind of budget you have for better responses (and you may get more responses from Canon and Nikon owners by asking about lenses in the Canon and Nikon lenses forums).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:44 AM   #14
Super Moderator

When shooting F1 a great deal depends on which track you are going to.

You need to set yourself very realistic expectations. Shooting F1 depends on a lot of things. If you don't have ALL of them you are going to find it very difficult.

1. Good equipment - that you are very familiar with.
2. Lots of skill in shooting motorsports, because F1 compared to ordinary motorsports is like a kindergarten race compared to the Olympics 100m final - same principles apply, but it's way way way harder. Try to get to some lessor races before you go to F1.
3. Access to good shooting positions trackside. This is most likely the killer blow. Unless you have a press pass chances are that you will only get an unobscured view of the track from quite a far distance. Trying to track and shoot F1 with a big telephoto lens is VERY VERY difficult. Even in the corners, even prefocussed, even panning, even at 5+ frames per second - most of your bursts will have nothing usable in them.

Prepare to take a LOT of shots, take tons of cards with you, and spare batteries.

My advice is to spend a lot of time taking pictures of the crowds, the people, the hype, the fun, the manufacturers stands (where you can actually get nice shots of the cars), etc. And prepare yourself for the fact that unless you have a press pass that you will probably not get many good shots of the race itself.

If you get a weekend pass, then you increase your chances substantially because you can get more access in the days before and everything is a lot more relaxed, and when the F1 cars come out on race day you will be prepared for how fast they are.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:57 AM   #15

Quote:
In your other post, Lens to Shoot pics at F1 racing?, TG gave you some good advice about lenses, and he shoots with Canon gear. He also referred you to another post Looking for advice -> Auto Racing Photography. To be sure, TG gets access that you may not enjoy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:57 AM   #16

Thanks guys.
JimC: thanks for the advices. However, I decided to buy the A700 with the Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6G SSM within the next 10 days and i'll look for a good lens for general use "travel family pics...etc".

peripatetic: thanks for the heads up info. However, I have a weekend access and I would practice when I buy the A700 with the lens till Nov which is the race time. My seat would be in a good area where the cars has to take 2 corners in a raw so it would be at it's slowest "still blazing fast, but better than a straight line isn't it?" and i'll try to get as close as possible. Plus TG gave me great advices on how to shoot F1 cars and how to practice on the thread where I was asking for lens.

Also thanks to Photo 5, Tullio, and the great TCav

Great help Guys, you're the best
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:59 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
...I decided to buy the A700 with the Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6G SSM within the next 10 days and i'll look for a good lens for general use "travel family pics...etc".
That sounds like a really nice combination, giving you a lot of versatility for daytime sports, wildlife and more. Please let us know how you like it.

Quote:
...and i'll try to get as close as possible.
I've never shot F1. But, from my experience at a local race track here in the Savannah area, the closer you are, the faster you'll have to pan as the cars scream by. The last time I went, I was able to shoot from inside the track on one of the corners (at a very close distance to the cars), and even though the local cars here are *much* slower than those you'd find at an F1 race, you have to pan *very* fast to get keepers at close ranges as they fly by. So, closer is not always a good thing from what I've seen. ;-) I'd practice as much as you can.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:54 PM   #18

Thanks JimC
I would practice till Nov. and when i buy the A700 with the lenses needed I'll post some pics to improve my skill as a photographer "as a hobby".
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:26 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
...a good lens for general use "travel family pics...etc
What are you using for a "general use" (what I usually call a "walk around") lens now? In a new walk around lens for the A700, I'd probably lean towards a Sony/Carl Ziess 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 if budget permits.

My favorite walk around lens right this minute is probably my Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. You can see some snapshots taken with it on my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D in this old thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...3-5-4-5-a.html

But, I'd probably lean towards buying the newer Sony/Carl Zeiss 16-80mm in a new walk around lens for the A700 so that I'd have it's wider end, newer optics with better CA resistance, etc..

If you want a brighter zoom and don't mind losing the wider end, the Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 is your best bet if budget permits (or go with the new Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 HSM as a second choice). These are also full frame designs that are compatible with the A900 without any image cropping if you decide to upgrade to a full frame model with a larger sensor later.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:06 PM   #20

Quote:
I would practice till Nov. and when i buy the A700 with the lenses needed I'll post some pics to improve my skill as a photographer "as a hobby".
You can practice on traffic at a nearby freeway. If there's a rest stop or a scenic overlook, you can stop there and get a good view of traffic going by. That should give you some relevant practice. The closer you get to the traffic, the faster you'll have to pan to keep up, which will simulate the speed you'll likely have to pan for Formula One cars.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote