Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:09 AM   #11

Mole is being way too modest! He arrived a while ago at the Pentax dSLR forum and has posted some really fine images taken with his K2000. He certainly has been learning the camera and his results have been very good. He also has the targets of opportunity of wonderful scenery available - as you do in the UK.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ins-creek.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ts-photos.html

In reference to your decision - you can not really make a bad decision as both cameras will perform very well. I am partial to Pentax due to the image stabilization in the body and it fits my hands very well. The K2000 is Pentax's newest body that is currently available and does have some improvements beyond the current top of the line K20 body, currently available (about 18 months old). For instance, it has an improved auto focus when compared to the K20. Both (D40 and the K2000) are entry level cameras - each providing a lot of capability. The longer the lens, the more that image stabilization will assist.

I would suggest that you go hold both cameras - play with them, in a store, and select the one that appeals to you the best. The camera that actually gets used will take the best pictures.

hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:42 AM   #12

Of the two, I'd go with the Pentax. Both its lenses would be stabilized, its got a 10MP image sensor instead of the 6MP sensor in the D40, and it comes with teh external flash.

But a significant criterion should be how they feel to you. If you can't comfortably hold it, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need then, you'll miss some shots, and your experience with the camera will be unpleasant.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:29 PM   #13

Default What a helpful forum

Many thanks everyone! Today I bought myself a book on getting the most from a digital camera and also played with the Pentax and canon in town. The Pentax just felt "right" so I think I shall opt for that.

Many thanks once again
tbanting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:14 PM   #14

In a rush to work this morning, I forgot to invite you (actually no invitation is needed) down to the Pentax dSLR forum - and there is a Pentax Lens forum too (actually any type of lens that fits on a Pentax body). There are quite a few posters from the UK and Europe, so please do not be a stranger. Its a very friendly crowd, willing to answer any question on Pentax bodies, lenses or what ever. And we always enjoy seeing pictures posted!!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:08 PM   #15

I just bought a Pentax KM (knownas the K2000 in the USA) a few months ago. I have the Pentax K10D which I've had for a few years...been extremely happy with it.

I got the KM as I wanted a lighter body to carry around on a regular basis and to have a second Pentax K body.

I've been very happy with the KM. Like the fact that it has shaker reduction in the body, dust removal...both systems work well. Don't think the Nikon D40 has these systems.

The KM has a very bright LCD screen and you can use the ISO up to 3200...I usually don't go beyond 800...pleased with the pictures.

The kit lens an 18-55 seems very good.

All in all I would recommend the Pentax over the Nikon. I don't have the Nikon, but I do have the Pentax and so far...a great camera.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:51 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbanting View Post
I have tried other entry level cameras like the Sony a2000 but it just didn't feel right in the hands.
If you prefer smaller and lighter, make sure to check out the new Sony A230, too. This camera should be hitting UK store shelves soon (it's already shipping in the U.S.). The design used for the new A230 is better suited to one handed operation compared to the older A200 design, with a deep grip allowing for comfortable holding (along with a number of advantages over most entry level dSLR models like a faster 9 point Autofocus system, a nicer menu system, very fast write speeds to memory cards and more).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:19 AM   #17

Default did it!

Well I took the plunge and love my Pentax K-M. Thanks to all that provided such great information and suggestions.
tbanting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:35 AM   #18
Administrator

Congrats on the new camera. You'll find that we have a very active and friendly group of Pentax shooters here. So, make sure to check out our Pentax / Samsung dSLR forum for tips.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:57 PM   #19

Congratulations! I'm certain you'll like it.

Come back and post something.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote