Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:07 AM   #11

Hi Sarah, and your not alone in your opinion, the whole world seems to think the Canon XS is the best entry level dslr...lol, they make good cameras. I used to love an old a610 I had. But it seems that the quality control may not always be there, plus I didn't like the fact that it doesn't have in-body IS. So we'll see, I have 30 days to play with my camera to see if I like it.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:06 PM   #12

anthony_b-

That is a good way to go. In 30 days you should pretty well know if the Sony is a go or not. I have the same deal on the Canon XS.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:14 PM   #13
Administrator

Personally, I think the Sony is a better bet. But, I'm biased, since I shoot with a Sony A700. ;-)

The Sony A230 has a better viewfinder compared to the Canon XS, a more sophisticated 9 point AF system compared to the 7 point AF system in the XS (and thanks to improvements in newer models like a faster AF motor and internal components, the A230's AF is faster than the Canon T1i in most lighting according to popphoto's tests (and the T1i has a better AF system compared to the XS in most lighting).

The Sony A230 is missing Live View. But, the live view performance in the XS isn't very good anyway. If you want better Live View, go with a Sony A330, A380, A500 or A550.

Here's a review showing image quality between models you're looking at like the Canon XS and Nikon D60 (which uses a Sony 10MP CCD Sensor), and Sony A200 (which also uses a Sony 10MP CCD). The image quality from the A230 (which also uses a Sony 10MP CCD sensor) should be just as good or better compared to the A200 from samples I've seen.

http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcame...oc.aspx?i=3434
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:39 PM   #14

Hi JimC-

The bottom line for me is that I am more attached to the Canon System than the Sony system due to the lenses and flashes that I already own. That investment has to come into play as well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:46 PM   #15
Administrator

P.S.

You'll see high iso speed comparisons starting on this page of that review.

http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcame...spx?i=3434&p=7

Note that the XS does not have an ISO 3200 setting if you need to use it. In the Canon lineup, you need to move up to the T1i if you want ISO speed settings higher than ISO 1600.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:12 PM   #16

Anthony,

The A230 sounds like a nice one. I look forward to hearing your opinion about your new A230. A couple of my friends are looking for their first DSLRs. I was thinking about recommending the Canon XS for this price range. But, now the A230 would be an alternate choice according to Jim.

I'm new to the DSLR world too. I have tried several cameras in the last few months including some fancy lenses. But, I realized all the pictures looked the same no matter what cameras & lenses I used lol.

So, I decided to go back to the basics. I thought I should practice and learn using the basic camera and the kit lens first. Something small and light, so I can carry it with me all the time and take some pictures to improve my skill. So, I ended up with the Olympus E410 because the entry level Canon doesn't have the spot metering system and the baby Nikons don't have AE bracketing. Even though the E410 doesn't have the IS, I thought I should learn how to hold the camera steady without the help of the IS. I like Olympus's color and tonality also. But, to tell the truth, the final deciding factor was the price. I paid $300 for the E410 & the kit lens.
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:34 PM   #17

OK, JimC-

I ordered the Sony A-230 and it will be delivered tomorrow. So, now we will be able to do a side by side comparison between the Canon XS and the Sony A-230, on a shot by shot basis.

So, by Thursday at the outset we should be able to see some side by side photos. Fair enough?

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
OK, JimC-

I ordered the Sony A-230 and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Sarah Joyce
WOW Sarah!

I look forward to hearing your opinion about the Sony A230.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:44 PM   #19

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Hiro-

The first thing I have to do is to insure everyone that I am going into this shoot-out with no bias at all. In fact, I am anxious to keep this as fair as possible. I would have added the Pentax K-2000 to the shoot-out, but I sold it last week-end.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
OK, JimC-

I ordered the Sony A-230 and it will be delivered tomorrow. So, now we will be able to do a side by side comparison between the Canon XS and the Sony A-230, on a shot by shot basis.

So, by Thursday at the outset we should be able to see some side by side photos. Fair enough?

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

I'm looking forward to the results of your comparison. I know it will be objective. It would be interesting to hear your views on whatever the comparable Pentax and Nikon would be in this review...but that might get expensive.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Sep 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote