Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:58 PM   #21

Les-

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I would have included the K-2000, but I sold it last weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:20 PM   #22

Folks-
It looks like I missed the cutoff time for today's shipments at Amazon for next day delivery, so delivery is now scheduled for 09/03 instead of 09/02 as I originally hoped for. I apologize for the delay.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:29 PM   #23

Oh, boy did I just open up a can of worms ?....lol. I'll have mine next week (I chose the free delivery option).
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:35 PM   #24

anthony_b-

As you can see, I also ran into a delivery problem that set back the delivery of the Sony A-230 until 09/03. 'Not to worry we will get there! I will have the camera by Thursday instead of Wednesday, but I will still be able to get some shooting done over the long Labor Day weekend.

I hope that you are enjoying a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I would have included the K-2000, but I sold it last weekend.

Sarah Joyce
I missed the post, thanks for pointing it out to me. Why did you sell the K2000, Sarah ?

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:13 PM   #26

I sold the K-2000 to a very good, and rather special friend who really wanted the camera rather badly. I had taken the K-2000 on a Med Contract in June and had not used it since.

I now have over 100 digital cameras and I am feeling the pressure to reduce that number, so I will sell whenever an opportunity appears.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I sold the K-2000 to a very good, and rather special friend who really wanted the camera rather badly. I had taken the K-2000 on a Med Contract in June and had not used it since.

I now have over 100 digital cameras and I am feeling the pressure to reduce that number, so I will sell whenever an opportunity appears.

Sarah Joyce
Over a 100, that's quite a number. You could probably write a history of digital cameras, with your experience with that collection.

I have a lot less...only 3 digitals...two Pentax DSLR's and a Panasonic Lumix.

Film cameras another thing though, haven't counted but it must be between 10-15 . Still well under your collection.

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B...folder 120, Mamiya TLR medium format with three Mamiya-Sekor lenses, old Leica RF, Yashicamat 124G-medium format, a number of Pentax SLR bodies and lenses , Olympus, some Canon...some more that I can't recall.

A lot of the older bodies don't have built in meters..so I have a couple of Sekonic light meters...still carry my old Sekonic L-248 and Gray card..but don't use it as much anymore. I find the variety of metering on my K10D is generally pretty well unbeatable.

I don't use the Mamiya much anymore, but it's a great camera, although a bit awkward, more at home on a tripod.

The large negative size was nice to work with, but I find I've left film, almost completely...digital has a lot of advantages over film, IMO.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:00 PM   #28

Les-

I agree 100%. All of my photography today is digital. My darkroom resides in my computer, and I can do more with digital post processing than I could ever do in the darkroom, many years ago. So. it really is a changed world.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
Anthony,

The A230 sounds like a nice one. I look forward to hearing your opinion about your new A230. A couple of my friends are looking for their first DSLRs. I was thinking about recommending the Canon XS for this price range. But, now the A230 would be an alternate choice according to Jim.

I'm new to the DSLR world too. I have tried several cameras in the last few months including some fancy lenses. But, I realized all the pictures looked the same no matter what cameras & lenses I used lol.

So, I decided to go back to the basics. I thought I should practice and learn using the basic camera and the kit lens first. Something small and light, so I can carry it with me all the time and take some pictures to improve my skill. So, I ended up with the Olympus E410 because the entry level Canon doesn't have the spot metering system and the baby Nikons don't have AE bracketing. Even though the E410 doesn't have the IS, I thought I should learn how to hold the camera steady without the help of the IS. I like Olympus's color and tonality also. But, to tell the truth, the final deciding factor was the price. I paid $300 for the E410 & the kit lens.

I think your making your decision based on another users rant, Re: sony A230:

well according to many reviews ans sources, the 1000d out performs the sony A230 by far and you'd have to be foolish to even consider something on the lower spectrum.. my advice is to do more research into Dslr's before you jump on the band wagon and head to particular store to expect major disapointment and kicking yourself wondering why you didnt buy the alternative brand.. hint hint..!!
tribez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:31 AM   #30

tribez-

Thanks for bringing back a rather (more than a year old) thread. As you may recall, at that time I had both the Sony A-230 and the Canon XS/1000D. In less than 6 months I had grown out of the Canon XS and the camera was sold.

Today I am shooting with a Sony A-500 and that same faithful Sony A-230 acts as my backup camera. In retrospect, looking back: the Sony A-230 was every bit as good as the Canon XS and produced equal image quality. in the normal ISO range. I do a lot of theater photography and in that area, the Sony A-230 was the very clear winner, and the Canon XS could not just keep up with it. Please tell us about your DSLR experiences, please??

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM.