Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Nikon D60 vs Canon EOS1000d

Hello ppl

I m planning to buy a DSLR i m a beginner so i checked up the the store ppl i found 2 camera within my budget NIKON D60 wit 18-55mmlens CANON EOS 1000D wit 18-55mm lens which is better since nikon has a CCD sensor n canon has a CMOS sensor n in all professional DSLR it is onlyCMOS sensor irrespective of brand

So sugest me the best one PLZ...
fel208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:47 PM   #2

In all likelihood the difference will be so marginal that it will be difficult for you to see a difference unless you are one of those who likes to scrutinize your images at 400% in your favorite editor. And even then it will be a matter of personal taste, and what difference you "want" to see. If having the CMOS sensor is going to give you a little more confidence and make you feel a little more professional then maybe you had better purchase the Canon. I have the lowly Nikon D40, and I'm perfectly happy with the images. But Canon is the #1 seller, so they must be doing something right. It's your choice, and there isn't a bad one.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:15 PM   #3

The Canon has 'Live View', a better autofocus system, a stabilized kit lens, and a better selection of autofocus lenses.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:38 AM   #4

I did a quick google on the Canon 1000D (EOS REBEL XT)...and it has to be the best reviewed entry level dslr on the planet ( per users reviews)...is it becuase Canon is so popular ?....or is it THAT good of a entry level DSLR ?......Also, I do know that Canon bodies do not have IS, but do the lenses costs more then the other manufactures do to the lense having the IS ?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._.html#reviews

Last edited by anthony_b; Aug 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:50 AM   #5

Actually, the Canon 1000D is the EOS Rebel XS over here, not the XT. It is no doubt well received beacuse it is a full featured, inexpensive Canon, all of which, in combination, result in the high rating.

And, yes, in general, stabilized lenses are bigger, heavier, and more expensive than an unstabilized counterpart. But there are few instances where a direct comparison can be made.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6

fel-

The Nikon D-3000 is scheduled to replace the D-40/D-60 cameras in September. One of the more important factors though is how the DSLR's felt in hand. Hand size does differ, and the placement of the controls can create a sizable difference in a camera's "feel."

When you were in the camera shop how did the Canon XS feel in comparison to the Nikon D-60? That should also play into your decision as well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
I did a quick google on the Canon 1000D (EOS REBEL XT)...and it has to be the best reviewed entry level dslr on the planet ( per users reviews)...is it becuase Canon is so popular ?....
The EOS-1000D is the same camera as the Canon Digital Rebel XS (not the older XT, a.k.a., Canon EOS-350D). ;-)

In addition to the reviews of these models you'll find right here at Steve's, here is a 10 page "Entry Level dSLR Roundup" (with the Sony A200 as the reviewers choice) that includes some comparisons between the Canon XS and Nikon D60 that the OP is looking at that may be helpful:

http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcame...spx?i=3434&p=1
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:58 PM   #8

Default A DSLR Camera that Works Very Well in Full Automatic

Actually the Canon 1000D, aka the canon XS-

Is quite a good DSLR camera. It comes with the Canon 18-55mm IS lens and if you add the Canon 55-250mmIS lens you have just about the ideal, fully IS equipped, package at a minimal investment.

Are you listening, anthony_b?

Yep, it is a very good choice. Image quality is top notch, and I really like the smaller, or reduced physical form factor of the Canon XS camera.

Will it give you the high ISO capability that you, anthony_b, desire? Yes, it will or does! But once again, just like it is with any other camera, it is based on the knowledge and experience of the person behind that Canon XS camera. You will get the best from the Canon XS camera by shooting even in the FULL AUTO MODE. it is one of the first DSLR cameras that I have found that really operates well in the full automatic modeAs always, I am here every day for anyone's questions and comments.

Helping is what this Forum is all about i have also attached a sample photo from the Canon XS DSLR camera taken in the full automatic mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 31, 2009 at 3:42 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:58 PM   #9

thanks Sarah...I almost picked up a refurb for less then $430 but I passed on it...
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:41 PM   #10

Well, anthony_b, in my opinion-

The Canon XS is an even better and well behaved camera than the Sony A-230 DSLR camera. That is just a personal experience based on a lot of years working with cameras of all types of cameras.

Have a great week.

Sarah Joyce

P.S. 09/01/02 Realizing that my comments above were no based on any hands-on experience and that I might have to eat those words, I decided to do and hands on shoot-out between the Sony A-230 and the Canon XS.

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM. Reason: To update readers on my feelings