Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:12 PM   #1

Default Canon XS?

I have a Canon EOS Rebel Ti film camera from about 6 years ago and am looking to purchase a digital SLR camera. I am thinking of purchasing the Rebel XS as it meets what I think is a decent entry level Digital SLR and for the price I am looking to spend. I think I can use the lens (28-90mm) I have on the Ti on the XS as they have the same mount. Am I correct? Thanks for the help!
mesepd339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Sure. Any Canon EF mount lens (used on Canon EOS film cameras) should work fine on the Digital Rebel XS.

You'll have a narrower angle of view for a given focal length lens on a dSLR using an APS-C size sensor (i.e., your lenses will appear to be "longer" with more magnification). Multiply the focal length by 1.6x to see how they compare. For example, when used on a Digtal Rebel XS, your 28-90mm will have the same angle of view that you'd have using a 45-144mm lens on your film Rebel.

That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you're trying to shoot (as you may not always have enough room to back up far enough to fit what you want in the frame with a lens starting out with a narrower angle of view).

That's one reason why most kit lens start out at around 18mm (because they'll appear to "longer" on a dSLR with a smaller sensor). For example, the 18-55mm kit lens on the Digital Rebel XS gives you the roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 29-88mm lens on a 35mm camera like your film Rebel. So, even though you have a lens that would work on either camera, it's probably a good idea to get a lens starting out at a shorter focal length for more versatility.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:51 PM   #3

Default Thank you

Thank you. The Rebel XS I am looking at comes with an 18-55mm lens with it. Just so I understand you correctly because I am new to this, the 29-90mm lens from my Ti will allow me to shoot items at a longer distance? Guess what I am trying to say is I can shoot an object that is farther away.

Mark
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:13 PM   #4
Administrator

Right. A subject that's further away will occupy a larger portion of the frame when you use your 28-90mm lens on a Digital Rebel XS, as compared to using the same lens on your film Rebel.

Note that you will not be able to use the 18-55mm lens on your film Rebel (as it's designed so the image circle only covers a smaller sensor size than 35mm film).

But, you can use lenses designed for the film Rebel (like your 28-90mm) on a Digital Rebel (only the Digital Rebel doesn't use the entire image circle being projected by the 28-90mm lens, since it's sensor is smaller than 35mm film).
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:22 PM   #5

Got it. You've been a big help. I think I will enjoy the XS. My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe this summer and want to get some good pictures. I took a digital photo class this past spring and learned a lot but I didn't have a SLR digital camera for the class. I look forward to taking some great photos overseas. This forum has a lot of information. I'll be coming back. Thanks again!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:29 PM   #6
Administrator

No problem. I'm glad to help out. We'll look forward to see you visiting us in the future, and feel free to share some of the photos you take from your trip to Europe if you get a chance.

You'll find "Post your Photos" forums setup here so that members can share the memories they've been able to capture with others, as well as forums setup for questions about Cameras, lenses, accessories, and much more.

BTW, Welcome to the forums.