Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:22 PM   #11

Since you happened to mention the Pentax ME Super, you might give the Pentax K2000 priority - it can use any lenses you have for your film camera. They won't suddenly become auto focus/auto exposure, but with a bit of practice, manually focusing isn't that big of a deal, and the camera can set the shutter speed by pushing a button. That could potentially save you quite a bit of money and was one of the two reasons I bought a Pentax DS several years ago. I'm still using several of my old lenses with the K20 and K-7, along with a couple of used manual focus/auto exposure lenses I've bought relatively recently. The final thing that convinced me to get the Pentax was that I liked the feel of the old DS better than either the entry level Canon or Nikon of that day. I haven't regretted that first purchase at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:19 PM   #12

I am a very happy Pentax K-2000 owner. The camera size is just perfect for me and the image quality is great, as shown in the sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:59 AM   #13

One other question since I have not yet bought any of the three (or the somewhat different Olympus E-P1): how is the optical viewfinder on the Pentax? I haven't seen that mentioned in the forums generally, and most everything in Pentax forums these days is K7.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:10 AM   #14

MacBook-

The viewfinder on the Penatx K-2000 is excellent in my opinion. It is bright and clear.
Its just a thought but you might want to make a cost comparison between K-2000 and the Olympus Pen. I looked at the Pen as well and found it to be measurably more expensive.

I get by very nicely with the kit lens that came with the K-2000 camera and a Pentax 50-200mm lens that cost only $(US) 175.00. It is a pleasantly small and easy to use kit.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:47 AM   #15

I still have not decided. I am close to picking the Pentax K2000 because of the price, lens variety, and OVF. The biggest hesitation is the lack of live view (that I have become used to with my ultrazoom). The Panasonic G1 is smaller and has live view (both LCD and EVF) but then again the lens variety and cost is higher.

So, my quandry is: can an old 35mm shooter who has now been sullied by live view go back to just using the viewfinder? Do most of you use live view, at least some of the time, or with DSLRs, do you just use your viewfinder?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:10 PM   #16

Default The pentax K-2000 Camera in Everyday Use

I can only speak for myself: I find no real problem using the DSLR viewfinder. The only time that it feels less than natural, is when I set up macro or close-up shots using the 18-55 mm kit lens, that puts you and the camera very close to the subject.It is just something that you get accustomed to doing, and soon you don't even give it a thought.

As to the high ISO capability of the K-2000, here is a close-up shot that I had to take through a glass window, hand held, with the Pentax 18-55 mm kit lens at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 21, 2009 at 1:24 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:20 PM   #17

I have the Pentax K20, which does have live view. I've tried rather unsuccessfully to use live view outdoors (bright sunlight makes the LCD hard to see) so now I don't even try. The other thing is that the camera and lens is going to be fairly heavy - I can't hold it at arms length and be able to hold the camera still enough to take a shot, especially indoors where I can see the LCD. It would be fine if you were doing studio type photography and had the camera on a tripod. Having the camera close to you gives you a lot more stability.

I do a lot of macro and have had no trouble using a viewfinder for manual focusing - it's no big deal at all. Took a little bit of practice but that's about all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:22 PM   #18

If live view is a real issue, take a look at the Alpha 3XX series of cameras. Sony's implementation of live view is far and away the best on the market - bar none. The a300/350 provide quite a number of features and have proven to be quite capable (I have the a350). While they are still available, they are currently being replaced by simpler cameras more geared to beginners, but otherwise are similar in performance. There is a great number of older Minolta lenses in addition to the newer Sony and third party lenses available, so there is plenty of choice in lenses, and some of the older Minoltas, while inexpensive, are optically excellent.

Edit: Originally typed a330/350 - the 330 was a typo - should have been a300)

Last edited by penolta; Jul 21, 2009 at 4:11 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:41 PM   #19
Administrator

The Sony A300 (10MP) and A350 (14MP) are the models being replaced.

The newer models are the Sony A330 (10MP) and Sony A380 (14MP).

One difference is that the newer bodies are smaller and lighter. But, they're missing the AEL (Exposure Lock) button found on the older A300 and A350 if that's something you care about. The ergonomics are also different (the newer A330 and A380 have a narrower grip that some users don't like as much), but it's also designed more for one handed use and Sony was probably trying to keep the weight down

Another difference is that the A330 and A380 have a new 18-55mm kit lens. The A300 and A350 were offered with an 18-70mm kit lens. The new 18-55mm lens is sharper with lower CA in comparisons I've seen. But, it's got a shorter focal range from wide to long.

I'd try them out in a store and see what you think.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:16 PM   #20

The Best Buy on my way home is supposed to carry the A330. I will stop in and look at it. Finally, a camera that is (maybe) carried locally besides Canon and Nikon.