Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:21 PM   #21
Administrator

Make sure to try out the live view modes with all of the cameras you're looking at. The Sony models with it have much faster Autofocus compared to other dSLR models when using live view.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:03 PM   #22

I handled the Sony A350, the Nikon D5000, and the Canon XSi. The conclusion is that the thickness of the camera together with the grips are not comfortable for my hand. I prefer no grip or a smaller rather than larger grip, partially just due to my preferences and I guess a modest sized hand (or at least fingers).

I am narrowing things down to the Olympus E-P1, the Panasonic G1, or the Olympus E-620. From what I have read, the E-P1 is quite slim with no grip, obviously the best choice in that sense; the G1 is slim together with a modest grip; and the E-620 the least slim of the three but with a slim grip.

After once again reading reviews and looking at images, I am leaning towards the Olympus E-620. The image quality seems good, it has live view and what seems to be a decent OVF, and it would offer a future to change to another four-thirds camera as they develop.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:03 AM   #23

MacBook-

I think that you have made an excellent choice. I too am very seriously considering the Olympus E-620 camera that just received a "highly reccommened" rating in a professional review from www.dpreview.com.

At least for me, the physical size of the Olympus E-620 is ideal. I was amazed at how nicely that the E-620 felt in hand, when I went to a local camera store to check out how it felt in hand. It was great!

Live View is not an issue for me at all, so I did not even try it. What was important to me was how the Olympus E-620 felt in hand, and that feeling was great. Please keep in mind, MacBook, that with it somewhat smaller imager, the Olympus E-620 will show some electronic noise at its high ISO settings. But that noise can be tempered with the use of software designed to smooth out images with obvious noise, such as Neat Image, Noise Ninja, etc.

Plese be sure to physically handle the Olympus E-620 before making your final decision to purchase the camera.Your experience may indeed differ from mine.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:59 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
I handled the Sony A350, the Nikon D5000, and the Canon XSi.
The A350 is one of the models being replaced. The new models (A330, A380) are smaller and lighter with a smaller grip.

Here's the difference:

A350 (older 14MP model):

A330 (newer 10MP model).

A380 (newer 14MP model)

Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:55 AM   #25

That looks like quite a difference in the grip. It is too bad that there are so few brick and mortar stores that carry a wide selection. Ritz might have in past times. I am in the Orlando area, and even the best stores seem to have a continuing narrowing selection of brands. From what I have read and heard from the retailers, Pentax and Olympus are not interested in small quantity operations, and the same seems true of Panasonic.

When I was a kid, I used to go with my father to a great camera store in Hollywood near the Las Palmas newstand, probably around Selma and Las Palmas or Selma and Wilcox. When I was about 11, he bought me a used Voigtlander 35mm rangefinder, and I learned a lot about exposure and depth of field and framing, etc., from that.

I have thought about a flight to New York, but it seems better to just order something and try it out, as a much less expensive investment.

Elliot
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:07 AM   #26
Administrator

Best Buy shows the new Sony models (A330 and A380) on their web site. I also see that a recent Store Flyer for Orlando shows a two lens A330 kit on the back page (page 24). So, they should have the A330 in stock. Didn't they tell you they had the A330 when you called them? Here's the back page for a recent Orlando Best Buy Sale Flyer showing an A330 two lens kit with an extra battery. They probably have other kits, too. For example, here's the single lens kit on their web site:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218087880884
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:18 AM   #27

I actually went by one of the stores that showed them in stock, but they didn't have any. I may wait until the weekend when I have some more available time and call the other stores. I think there were three that showed stock in the area, perhaps more if I broaden the search area.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:35 AM   #28
Administrator

I just checked stores in your area with the A330 in stock (using the locator on Best Buy's web site), and it looks like the Best Buy on Orange Blossom Trail is sold out now.

But, it looks like the Best Buy on East Colonial Drive should have them in stock. I'd call to make sure.

E Colonial FL (Store 157)
4597 E Colonial Dr
Orlando, FL 32803
Phone: 407-894-5003
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm
Sun 11:00am-7:00pm
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:53 AM   #29
Administrator

Now, it's showing up at the Florida Mall store again, too. Your best bet would be to call the stores and ask them to check and make sure before spending time driving to one.

Here's a page you can use to find stores that should have it in stock:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....questid=166701
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:59 AM   #30

The East Colonial store did not have it. I did get to help a young salesperson sell a Nikon D5000 to a customer. They were both very grateful. No commission, though!