Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:31 AM   #31
Administrator

What, no commission?

Tell them they should give you a discount on the camera you end up deciding on.

The stores shouldn't be out for long if they've sold out. They appear to have them in their warehouse. I'd just call before driving to one to make sure they have them (asking them to physically check versus going by the inventory shown in their software).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I don't know much about the Panasonic, but it's likely to be the worst of the three...
I'm not sure that's a true statement. The G1 is being praised left to right. I've been thinking about buying one so as a result, I've been reading a lot about it and just about every review I came across, rated the camera very very high in just about every respect. The thing is, the G1 is a different type of camera and many do not consider it as being a true DSLR since it has no mirror. However, despite its smaller sensor, Panasonic has done a wonderful job in terms of high ISO noise control (from what I've been reading, images at 1600 ISO are very much usable), DR and resolution. The body is very small and the kit lens (14-45mm) is being considered one of the best (if not the best) kit lens out there. The biggest limitation of this camera is lens selection. Due to its m4/3 standard, it requires an adapter if one wants to use the 4/3 Zuiko lenses and even w/ the adapter, some 4/3 lenses will only work in manual mode.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
...I am leaning towards the Olympus E-620. The image quality seems good, it has live view...
Although the E620 comes packed with features and is capable of producing great results, Olympus implementation of LV sucks. It's pretty unusable IMO (except for occasional shots). Sony rules hands down in that department. I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with the Pana G1, so I can't say much about its LV implementation but I imagine it's probably one of the best since the camera has no mirror. It's like a P&S in that respect.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:38 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
...The body is very small and the kit lens (14-45mm) is being considered one of the best (if not the best) kit lens out there.
On the surface, the lens appears to be very good. But, I've seen some discussions on the approach being used to get that result, perhaps sacrificing other lens characteristics in return for a sharper image. For example, apparently this lens has very heavy barrel distortion, vignetting, and some CA. But, those problems are being corrected via in camera processing, or software in the case of shooting raw when using SilkyPix for conversion. The images showing the rather severe distortion issues using other raw conversion products are interesting.

I suspect we'll see a lot more of that as time passes, from more manufacturers (letting the in camera processing and/or software for raw conversion correct the more obvious deficiencies with a given lens design). I've been impressed by Nikon's progress in this area, too (for example, CA correction in the image processing pipeline with some of their newer cameras, allowing for better results from lenses like their 18-200mm).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote