Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Default I need recomandation for a digicam at least x 12 Optical zoom, reasonble batteries

Hello,

I need recommendations for digital cameras that have:

1. at least x12 - or more -optical zoom. [the most important demand]

2. the camera consumes reasonable battery power, hence you can take at least 200 - 250 photos in one charging cycle.
I would prefer AA batteries that can easily be purchased anywhere.

3. the camera should be light in weight.

4. my budget range for this: 170 us$ - 400 US$

5. i would prefer recommendations from people that own the recommended camera.

Thanks,

Ronnie
RonnieDigiCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:27 PM   #2

There are many to choose from. I think everyone is getting decent battery life.

This is a good rundown of the compact superzooms: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/

If you want a full sized non-DSLR camera my pick would probably be from these: Panasonic FZ28, Sony HX1 and Canon SX1.

No since blathering on without some preferences other than 12X and good battery.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:45 PM   #3

I'm OK with the Panasonic FZ28 but I'd suggest the Canon SX10 and the Sony H50 over the suggested ones above. The CMOS sensors in the SX1 and the HX1 get noisy pretty fast over ISO 200. Of these three the FZ28 has the best price performance ratio but there's another with a very good price performance ratio at a lower price mark and that's the Kodak Z1012.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
...another with a very good price performance ratio at a lower price mark and that's the Kodak Z1012.
A. C.
Not sure he'll like that answer , A.C. ! If you haven't already done so and have your tongue in your cheek, See the rant at...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak/150473-kodak-712-battery-problem-2.html#post981939

(but you may have to do a neg-pos conversion to read it).
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:20 AM   #5

Obviously there are some individually defective Z series cameras. The rantor should have read the rest of the posts in that thread to realize that he had a repairable defect rather than a failure of design, specifications or instructions in the technical manual . The vast majority of Zs are not defective and do run just fine on lithium AAs.

In my market area lithium AAs are readily available 24 hours a day (Wal Mart) and almost as available as alkaline AAs. In my small metro area lithium AAs are available at, besides Wal Mart, Target, KMart, Sam's, the hardware/lumber stores Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot. I haven't checked the chain drug stores as there prices are typically higher.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Jul 8, 2009 at 9:24 AM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6

Thanks, A. C. , for your well-considered response. I actually composed a reply, but then felt its forceful tone was counter-productive, and I'd do better to say nothing. You got it just right.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:33 PM   #7

The Panasonic FZ-28 is an excellent camera and it is due to be replaced in a month or so. It also does not use AA batteries. When the new replacement camera comes out, the FZ-28 prices will drop, you might want to wait for that lower price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:52 PM   #8

Ronnie-

We really do not have sufficient data yet, but here is an excellent suggestion. Take a look at the Kodak Z-1012 camera. It sells for less than $(US) 200.00, has 12X optical zoom and can use a variety of batteries.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote