Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2009, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Canon RebelXS and Kodak Z980

I have been looking at these two cameras, have only had point and shoot previously. The Z980 seems to have alot of nice features. I know this is a stupid question, but on a SLR camera, how do you zoom in? Do you turn the lens or is there a zoom feature as on a point & shoot? Thanks
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2009, 4:43 PM   #2

Zoom is on the lens, you twist a ring on the lens. Not all lenses are zoom lenses.

The big thing you need to decide is whether you want to get a dSLR or not. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways. DSLR cameras require a much bigger commitment on your part - it has a bigger learning curve, you'll end up carrying a lot more weight (if you get into photography much at all), and you'll have to spend more money to get the same features as an ultrazoom, at least up front. It might work out as a wash in the long run (lenses last for a very long time while cameras come and go), but I'm not even so sure about that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 4:50 PM   #3

Thanks, I guess that is what I am trying to decide. We have a 3 mos old granddaughter, and really want good shots of her, and take alot of scenery shots and close ups of our 2 labs and their puppies. I just thought the SLR might be better for closeups, but maybe not? the Kodak Z980 is around $399 and the Canon is $649.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 4:52 PM   #4

OH, the Canon XS has an 18-55 mm lens with it, will that zoom?
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:26 PM   #5

Default It depends ...

I have three cameras: a DSLR (Pentax K200D), a superzoom (Panasonic FZ28), and a compact (Fuji F100fd).

First of all, about zooms. A zoom lens has some magnification from its widest angle setting (typically about 28mm for the kit lens with most entry level DSLR's) to its longest telephoto setting (typically about 82mm). Most compact cameras have about 3X optical zoom. Superzooms have from 10X to 26X optical zoom.

The advantage of a superzoom over a DSLR is portability and price. A superzoom is usually much smaller. A DSLR needs a number of different lenses to match the range of the latest superzoom. Just one of these lenses might cost more than the superzoom. The telephoto zoom DSLR lenses that you can buy for a DSLR that somewhat approach the zoom range of an FZ28, for example, cost more than $400.

Kodak cameras have a reputation for being easy to use. I myself was thinking of getting the Z980.

In good light, a good point and shoot can take pictures that are similar to those of a DSLR. In dim light, however, a DSLR with the appropriate lens will usually take much sharper, more noise free pictures.

If you get a DSLR, you will be spending more money later for new lenses.

Don't know what to suggest except that you go to a camera shop and try to get ahold of the cameras you are considering. Then all this talk about zoom range and weight will become clearer. You will also be able to compare shutter lag, which somebody else may explain to you very soon.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave59 View Post
OH, the Canon XS has an 18-55 mm lens with it, will that zoom?
Yes, the Canon's kit lens is a 3x zoom - not terribly much.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:50 PM   #7

Thanks so much for your replies, I will probably go with the point and shot.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 5:04 AM   #8

Quote:
....The Z980 seems to have a lot of nice features...
If you browse in the last few month's posts in the 'Kodak' forum here, there's lots of discussion about it. Some like it a lot, others are lukewarm, especially in terms of value for money relative to the much cheaper Z1012.

See especially the very long thread at...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak/152988-kodak-easyshare-z980.html
...which contains the views of many experts, plus me.

In my opinion the Z1012 is a very good and reasonably priced tool for learning to use all the functions of a pretty good camera, and you'd get a good idea of whether the better quality and flexibility of a dSLR machine will outweigh the greatly extra cost, weight and bulk.

You may find, as I do, that something cheaper and lighter, that you're more likely to carry around, will do the job for you. If not, and you decide to upgrade, keep the superzoom as a spare, e.g., hidden in your everyday vehicle.

Good luck in the decision-making!

By the way...
Quote:
Thanks so much for your replies, I will probably go with the point and shot.
I'm sure Kodak (like me) would be offended by this common terminology, as it's their latest attempt to 'bridge the gap'. Most of the 'point and shoot' superzooms are only as 'point and shoot' as you choose to make them.

On my cameras I seldom just point & shoot, and even then it's with my own set of modified settings. If I'm stuck for a decent result I let the automatic and 'smart capture' functions have a go, to see if they can do any better. Occasionally they do.

Last edited by Alan T; Jul 6, 2009 at 5:15 AM. Reason: another thought
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote