Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2009, 1:23 PM   #1

Default Which Point-and-Shoot to Buy??

I currently have an Olympus FE-230 but want something with some more resolution. I am currently considering three cameras: the Nikon Coolpix S630, the Sony Cybershot DSC-W290, and the Canon PowerShot SD970IS. I may be ready to rule out the Nikon since the autofocus seems to only focus on the subject, leaving the rest of the shot is very blurry, which I really do not want, even though the Nikon is a very good looking camera and has the longest zoom out of the three. I have not seen any sample shots on the W290 so I do not know how the quality of the photos is, but CNET says that the camera is somewhat slow and the photos can be soft. I have already looked, and there are no reviews of the W290 on Steve's Digicams. So far, to me, the Canon seems to be the best camera out of the three, with SD memory which I prefer, very good photos on the Steve's Digicams review, but CNET comments that the lens is rather slow. I would not buy for a few months so I do not know if there are any more new models coming out from these manufacturers? Thanks for any help!!

P.S.: I am not planning on buying a DSLR or a mega-zoom camera such as the Nikon P90
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:00 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmike View Post
I may be ready to rule out the Nikon since the autofocus seems to only focus on the subject, leaving the rest of the shot is very blurry, which I really do not want, even though the Nikon is a very good looking camera and has the longest zoom out of the three.
The amount of the image that appears to be in focus (acceptably sharp as you get closer or further away from your focus point) is going to be based on focal length (how much you're zooming in), subject distance and aperture. See this Depth of Field calculator for more information:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Cameras with the same sensor sizes are going to have the same depth of field for a given focal length, aperture and subject distance (and most similar point and shoot models are going to have similar sensor sizes).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:32 PM   #3

Your comment on the Nikon focus caught my eye as well. I'd be curious to know the basis for that. Typically a small depth of field is seen at the telephoto end of the zoom. But that applies to all camera brands. If these problem shots for the Nikon were at full telephoto, and it has more telephoto than the others, then you have the reason for that.

In my view the Canon is the "safe" choice. Nikon vs Sony is a more interesting match. Both have their appeal, but they are very different cameras in "look and feel". Does seem odd that this much time has passed with no test of the W290.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:42 PM   #4

actually, after checking, the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 may be an option. does anyone have any input on that compared to the Powershot SD970IS or the Sony W290?? i also noticed that steve never did a review on that camera either.

Last edited by maxmike; Jul 8, 2009 at 12:22 AM.
maxmike is offline   Reply With Quote