Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2009, 4:37 PM   #1

Default Which Pentax should I choose?

Hi!
I'm upgrading from digicams and I loved Pentax cams..
I can't decide between this 3 models:

PENTAX K20D
PENTAX K200D
PENTAX K2000

There is a lot of info going around! So could you describe functionally which cam is best for what type of photography?

Thanks!!!
ramagutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:57 PM   #2

Default We need to know more first

I have had two Pentax DSLR's, the *ist DS and the K200D. Both good cameras.

What is your experience with digicams? Which Pentax cameras have you already used? What do you want to get with the DSLR that you couldn't get with the digicam(s)?

What is your budget? At what price can you get the
K20D
K200D
K2000?

The K20D has been selling very cheaply recently, as low as $499 (body only) at Best Buy refurbished. If it had been available at that price a year ago, I surely would have gotten it.

I can't give you useful advice without knowing the answers to the questions above.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:36 PM   #3

The most important thing is: what types of photography do you want to do?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 7:05 PM   #4

Not only does the type of photography enter into it, but also what size a camera do you want? I've owned the DS (sold, but still rather wish I had held onto it), K100 (still own), K10 (sold when I bought the), K20 and am seriously considering buying the new K7 (and am not sure whether to keep the K20 or the K100 - there's advantages and disadvantages both ways).

The K2000 is small and lightweight, a plus if you are hiking. It is lacking some of the features that the larger and heavier K200 and K20 have. The K200 is larger, but not as big as the K20. The K20 is as heavy a camera as I can manage (I'm a small female). While I prefer a smaller camera, the ergonomics of the K20 are very nice, even for me.

The K200 and K2000 share the same 10 MP sensor, the K20 has a 14 MP sensor. In general, I think the K20's sensor is better at higher ISO levels. The K200 only goes to 1600 (and I always thought the K10 was too noisy to use 1600 very often), while the K2000 offers 3200. The K20's ISO 3200 isn't too bad and can extend to 6400, but I don't think it's useable (that's my personal opinion, but it is available if the other option is to miss the picture entirely).

The K2000 does not have weather sealing - that's very important to me but might not be for others.

The K20 is a more complicated, feature-filled camera. It has a longer learning curve if you want to explore everything. It also means its easier to change something accidentally and have trouble figuring out how to get it back the way you want. It's easier to take control of everything with it. If you don't want to mess with settings and learning how to influence your pictures, you might be better off with the other two cameras. On the other hand, right now is a great time to buy one - you can get far more bang for your buck right now than you can with either of the other two cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:30 AM   #5
Super Moderator

The K20D has always been good value-for-money, and now that it's being so heavily discounted it's fantastic value.

Try holding it, and if it's not too big and heavy (and people carry much bigger and heavier cameras) then just go for it!
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:39 PM   #6

I am a K-2000 user and I like the camera a lot. A lot depends on the type of shooting you are doing and your budget. Here is a K-2000 sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:36 PM   #7

I too am a happy Pentax K2000 user (known as the KM in Europe) I love the way it feels in my hands, it uses 4 x AA size batteries, which you could find in most places in an emergency, and I am very pleased with the twin lens kit.

tbanting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:31 PM   #8

Default Another Pentax K-2000 Photo Sample

tbanting-

Thanks for posting. That is a nice photo. What lens did you use? The Pentax K-2000 is a great little camera with a huge potential. I love it.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:42 PM   #9

This was the standard zoom from the twin lens kit- the 50-200. I am having so much fun with it!
tbanting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:11 PM   #10

Thanks for your advices!
Sorry I didn't answer faster but I've been out of town.
I think I'll go for the k2000.

Now I need an advice for my wife's cam, but i'll start a new thread!

Thanks a lot
ramagutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote