Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:14 PM   #11
D9r

I'm no expert photographer but I've researched a lot (being an expert researcher). If you like Canons, take a look at these 3:

Canon sd1200 - $200 - standard features
Canon sd780 -- $250 - standard features + HD video
Canon sd960 -- $300 - standard features + HD video + 28mm wide angle lens
D9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:15 PM   #12

Thanks guys. Judging by the number of different suggestions I'm thinking that most of these types of camera are down to personal choice rather than performance.
I need to take time and read reviews of the models suggested. The DMC FS7 ticks the box for size, I just can't get my head around buying a Panasonic camera, yet they have made camcorders for years. .....what the heck do I know ???
So far I'm leaning towards the Kodak Z-1485 and enlarging my pockets.
paulinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:46 PM   #13
D9r

The Canons are tiny - no need to enlarge your pockets; you can't get any smaller than the sd780. Did you even look at the reviews I linked to? The sd960 is quoted as the best all-around pocket subcompact by many professional photographers. If you google and pay close attention you'll see what I mean. For starters, see reviews at bhphotovideo.com, newegg.com, and intellireview.com for the sd960 (see also reviews for sd880 which is the previous model of the sd960).
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:14 PM   #14
D9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinfl View Post
requirements would be a reasonably wide angle lens and of course decent picture quality.... decent quality pics and pocket sized.
The Canon sd960 has a 28mm wide angle lens.
Dimensions: 3.85 x 2.12 x 0.87 in

Steve's Conclusion says,
Quote:
the PowerShot SD960 IS is an ultra-compact camera that is loaded with powerful options, packed tightly into a diminutive shell. These options included ... a 4x wide view optical zoom lens, ...While not quite as compact as the SD780 IS, the SD960 is smaller than a deck of playing cards or about the same size as a small flip phone....

When shooting outdoors, the SD960 consistently captures well exposed images that are nice and sharp, and display beautiful colors. Colors are actually quite realistic, which means the images you capture will look as they did from your own eyes. The 4x optical zoom not only offers a nice wide viewing angle of 28mm, but also adds a bit more versatility when composing your shots compared to a standard 3x lens.... the equivalent focal range of 28 - 112mm is sufficient for day-to-day snap shots.

Bottom Line - we've been big fans of Canon's Digital ELPH line ever since... 2000. The SD960 continues on in its predecessor footsteps, offering the latest and greatest of Canon's legendary technologies, powerful features, speedy performance, excellent image quality, and loads of exposure options, all packed in a "Go Anywhere" frame. With a street price of US$329 or less($279 currently), the PowerShot SD960 IS may be a bit more expensive than a couple of its competitors, however with the quality and features you are receiving we feel its well worth the extra cost.

etc, etc, etc
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:41 PM   #15
D9r

Did you change your mind about wanting a wide angle lens? The Kodak Z1485 only has a 35–175 mm lens. Also, as you said, it isn't the smallest choice available: 3.52" x 2.53" x 1.54"
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:47 PM   #16

The Fujifilm J250, Nikon S560, and Panasonic TZ4 are all priced about the same as the Kodak Z1485. And all have at least 5X optical zoom. I suggest you get to some stores to handle a few cameras. I believe you will find serious differences in this regard.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinfl View Post

I need to take time and read reviews of the models suggested. The DMC FS7 ticks the box for size, I just can't get my head around buying a Panasonic camera, yet they have made camcorders for years. .....what the heck do I know ???
Panasonic has been making some great cameras for years now. They use Leica lenses on most (like the TZ5) and have started several trends. The TZ1 was a trend setter that everyone jumped on. As was their stabilized superzooms.

Read what dpreview has to say about Panasonic in that regard in this conclusion: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209...oom/page16.asp

Also look at this conclusion: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408...oup/page13.asp It covers the TZ5.

I'm not saying you should buy a Panasonic. But don't bypass it because you think they are a camcorder company.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 5:39 PM   #18

Thanks KCook & D9r,

After reading a few reviews I'm now leaning towards the Canon. I'm currently in the UK and the sd960 is a US model therefore tough to get over here. I've got some free time later this week so I'll check out all of the suggestions you guys have kindly offered and take the plunge.
Good point about the Kodak Z1485. Due to the lens and size I'll give it a miss.
Checking out the Canon this evening.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:31 PM   #19

Canon SD960 IS = Canon IXUS 110 IS in the UK and most of the rest of the world.
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Canon SD960 IS = Canon IXUS 110 IS in the UK and most of the rest of the world.
Thanks Kelly,

I'm definitely impressed with the reviews of both the 960 & 780 (IXUS 110 & 100 in Europe). They both seem to tick the boxes regarding size and quality of image for a pocket camera, so I think I will be happy with the choice.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread, your help and advice is appreciated as always.