Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The word here is not "smaller" but "wider" lens.

I'd seriously consider the Panasonic FZ28 for your purposes. It is not as compact as the ZS3/TZ7 because it has an 18x zoom lens (the ZS3 is 12x) but you can zoom in/out during movie recording and it records in HD. Rumors are that Panasonic will soon announce their FZ28 replacement model so you might want to wait a few more weeks for that. However, if you are on a tight budget, the FZ28 is probably the answer because most likely the new model will cost more.
Thanks for the correction on the lens. I am still new to this stuff. The fz28 looks like one hell of a camera, so I will look into it some more. A quick look at prices online has it all over the place from 248 to 500 dollars U.S. I do not need to buy a camera for another month or so, so I will be definitely watching its price.

Thanks
DBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:21 PM   #12

Make sure you check the online retailer carefully before purchasing anything, unless you are dealing with Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Beachcamera/Buydig among other reputable stores. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Also, keep in mind that new models not always will drive old model prices down. If the new model starts getting bad reviews, the old models become more desirable and consequently prices will go up. The bottom line is, unless you must have the latest and greatest, find the camera that fulfill your needs and if the price is right, go for it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:18 PM   #13

I like the FZ28, but it's not as easily available in Canada. And as much as I despise Sony's memory card format, the options available (eBay, for instance with the dual 8GB Micro SD cards) seems reasonable in pricing and would cost me the same as an equivalent SD card.

I'm going to pick up the H20 today. I'll report back on my findings
andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
And as much as I despise Sony's memory card format...
Why do you despise the format? It's much faster a far more reliable than SD cards, that's for sure. I have 7-8 memory stick cards and not one has ever presented any errors. The SD cards on the other hand, are flaky and every once in a while, I get some sort of error message.

Tullio
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:07 PM   #15

I too paused regarding looking at the sony cameras due to the memory duo stick pro format they use. It may be better than (some?) sd cards, the frustration lies in getting stuck buying into some companies propertiery format. If I had other sony products that used it (i think maybe a psp uses it too), then I wouldn't mind so much. But what from the reviews I have read the h20 seems like a quality camera, and decently priced, so the storage format isn't a dealbreaker. I am looking forward to andsoitgoes comments on the h20.

The fz28 seems like everything I was looking for, just to high priced right now (350 and up). From what I have read, it sounds like it was going for cheaper earlier in the year, so it seems that boat has already sailed for me.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:25 PM   #16

The successor to the FZ28, the FZ35 (FZ38 in Europe) was announced today by Panasonic. It will have the same list price as the FZ28 and lots of cool features. But it will still "only" have 18x optical zoom and will use the same sensor with 2 more megapixels, which could lead to noise problems.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Why do you despise the format? It's much faster a far more reliable than SD cards, that's for sure. I have 7-8 memory stick cards and not one has ever presented any errors. The SD cards on the other hand, are flaky and every once in a while, I get some sort of error message.
I despise it because of how pricey it is. I've used a multitude of SD cards in the past and I've never had a problem with them. And even if I did, 2x the price for a Sony card seems hardly acceptable for the off chance that there may be an issue with the SD card.

On another note, I've got my camera and have been playing around with it, but am a bit on a the upset side.

Every review of this camera commented on its stereo sound when recordign video. Well, I pulled it into my computer and reviewed it through MediaInfo as I was curious about the Codec, etc and I see "64 kbps, 1 channel, AAC"

Now digging deeper into the Sony site, it's obvious it's only mono sound. One of the big reasons I was buying this camera was for STEREO sound that I'd read about everywhere. What the heck???

Sigh. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if it's worth looking elsewhere just for the lack of stereo, but I can tell you I'm not at all impressed.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:35 AM   #18

Okay, so I'm not impressed and I should know better than to go by reviews when they talk of specs.

The h20 is mono recording, regardless of what any reviews state. Also, the more narrow lens of the H20 is so frustrating, I can't even come close to defining it.

I knew it was a bit more narrow, but did not realize just how narrow.

The flash, on the other hand, is fabu. And it handles low-light well.

The Samsung (WB550 in Canada) has horrific low-light performance, and is off my list.

It's a pain, now, that I've got to look at alternate options. I want too much for too little, I know that. SO it looks like the ZS3 is the only option, and I'm going to have to wait. But for now, the H20 is going back to the store.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:56 PM   #19

Sorry that the H20 didn't work out for you. I am still on the fence, but ever since someone pointed out the fz28, and then with the impending release of the fz35 I think I will probably go that route. Preferably the Fz35 since it has stereo recording, and saves movies in the avchd lite format.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:21 PM   #20

The FZ35 is not much of an improvement over the FZ28. However, it's very difficult to find the FZ28 at this time and considering that the FZ35 is at the same price range, it may be a good option for those who want better video capabilities.

Tullio