Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1

Default Need a new camera with zoom during video, 720p and reasonable price.

I know I'm asking the world, but I would really, really like to have the best of the 2 worlds. I also know this is for hybrids, but being in Canada makes getting the slightly unkown names darn near impossible to get.

So, here I ask. The most important thing to me is HD video (no 1080p, 720p is fine) and the ability to zoom during. I know the 780is is a great camera in all aspects, as is the DSC W270 (less so, but stereo video recording), but the thought of being able to zoom while recording video is one that would be preferred for me.

Stereo would be preferred.

Image stabilization.

Zoom past a few X isn't really huge for me. 5x would be nice, but if it's going to be a huge price jump to 10, there's no point.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

One of the ones I am looking at is the HZ15W by Samsung, but it doesn't seem like it's an easy find within Canada, and the reviews are so/so on it.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Nick
andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:20 AM   #2

I am also looking for the same thing (though not stereo). The ones that I can come up with are sony h20, panasonic tz5, and panasonic zs3 (too pricey though). I have no idea what to purchase, and I didn't even know about the samsung until you posted it.

Last edited by DBaron; Jul 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM.
DBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:28 PM   #3

Just wanted to bump the topic! I'm going to take a look through what ayou noted there, but yes - the ZS3 is beautiful, though
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:15 AM   #4

The Canon S-5 Camera still remains the top of the heap for video (no, not 720dpi) but with stero sound.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:43 AM   #5

I think that's going beyond my price range and I would really like to have the 720p option as well. I just want the videos I have now to look as good in the future. I'd need something under $400. I'll change that in the initial post.

But wow, the S5 is a really, really nice looking camera.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:50 AM   #6

I hope you post on what you decided to go with and why. I'm partial to the tz5, but not committed enough to buy it yet.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:58 PM   #7

The TZ5 is the ZS3 in the US, in case you're in the states. I simply cannot afford the price difference. I can find the H20 through Amazon at $240 US, I can't find the ZS3 for anything lower than $380 or so. I can't possibly justify that.

And if I look at buying within Canada, I'm looking at $329 CDN for the H20 and the ZS3 would be $472 after taxes...

Seeing as I was looking around $300 to begin with, at the most, it looks like the h20 is the best choice, one I wouldn't have found without your suggestion... so thanks!!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:02 AM   #8

I don't know about canada, but in the u.s, the tz5 is last years panasonic model, the tz7/zs3 is this years. I cannot find the tz5 in stores, online only now for around $219 U.S (silver color). There are other colors but they cost more, I guess because of limited availability?

I like that the tz5 has a smaller lens (28mm) vs the h20's 35mm lens. I guess smaller is better for wide angle shots. The tz5 microphone sucks though, so I am still not sure if it's worth it, especially for videos.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:26 AM   #9
Administrator

It looks like buydig.com (a reputable vendor) still has blue in stock (at least they're showing them in a quick price search). They are higher compared to the Silver.

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com...t=filter-query
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBaron View Post
I like that the tz5 has a smaller lens (28mm) vs the h20's 35mm lens. I guess smaller is better for wide angle shots.
The word here is not "smaller" but "wider" lens.

I'd seriously consider the Panasonic FZ28 for your purposes. It is not as compact as the ZS3/TZ7 because it has an 18x zoom lens (the ZS3 is 12x) but you can zoom in/out during movie recording and it records in HD. Rumors are that Panasonic will soon announce their FZ28 replacement model so you might want to wait a few more weeks for that. However, if you are on a tight budget, the FZ28 is probably the answer because most likely the new model will cost more.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote