Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:52 PM   #1

Default Dilemma; Sony H50 vs HX1 vs Psonic FZ28Ö.HELP PLS

Okay let me get straight to the point; this would be my first dedicated Digital Camera (I use my Nokia N82 for taking photo in any occasion) and I thought of mastering Ultra-zoom first before jumping to Digital SLR. I'll purchase either one of these three in a week or so and wanted to make sure I get the best, so that I wonít regret afterwards. I'm thinking of learning the art of photography with the camera so I'll be using manual mode more often. The summary of what I have learned from different reviews and forums:

Panasonic FZ28: produces sharp and focused image, have the advantage of shooting at 720p, easy to use menus. 18x optical zoom, good image stabilization. SD card
(I know about the FZ 28 successor but I donít want to wait that long)

Sony H50: Good color, 3inch tilt-able screen.

Sony HX1: 10fps shooting mode, 1080p video, 20x optical zoom, 3inch tilt-able screen (and Iím very fond of it), Twilight mode.

My price limit is up to US$500 and Iím willing to drop out H50 if the HX1 is really a true successor (I mean better at almost everything image quality, sharpness, speed, focusing ability etc). My personal favorite is the Sony HX1 followed by the Panasonic FZ28 (what makes me lean toward sony is the screen, but I can live with that if the FZ28 produces better image) I want a firsthand experience from expert who have at least used any two of the above three.

Iím thanking you in advance and any help provided would be appreciated.

P.S. English is not my first language, please be understandable if you find my post difficult to read.

Safety and Peace
Fhame Rashid
Fhame Rashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:59 PM   #2

For what it might be worth, I personally think that the Sony HX-1 still remains over priced. In contrast the H-50 is a very solid camera, capable of just about everything.

The Panasonic FZ-28 prices should begin to go lower with a successor camera virtually on the horizon. My personal choice, and I have used all three of the cameras extensively, would be the FZ-28. It is a bit better than the H-50, and it is currently at a very attractive price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:17 AM   #3

Thank you very much for your reply. If the Sony HX-1 is better than the FZ-28 in terms of picture quality, I will go for it even its overpriced. As you had experience with the both it would be helpful if you could kindly provide me with elaborate contrast between the HX-1 and FZ-28. What would I miss if I chose to get HX-1 over FZ-28.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:02 AM   #4

Fhame-

Welcome to the Forum!

The Sony HX-1 is a good camera, but not up to the consumer level DSLR cameras. My biggest complaint concerning the HX-1 is that it is really not as good as the FZ-28 in terms of low light level shooting. However, in fairness the HX-1 has some pretty unique features such as handheld panoramas, or doing a single burst of 10 shots with a single shutter click. I did not think those where features that I would use all the time.

So, IMO the choice has to be made with regard to the kind of photos that you take and your style of shooting. I think it would be wise to do a small analysis of:

What kind of photos do you like to take?

Is the the size and weight of the camera a factor in your opinion?

With that information, we can come to a better conclusion as to whether the FZ-28 or the HX-1 is the better choice for you. Have a good day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:16 AM   #5

IMO, Panasonic makes one of the best (if not THE best) super zoom out there. This is a very competitive segment of the digital photography market, with many brands and models to choose from, some stronger than others. Nikon, Canon, Kodak, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, etc., they all have at least one super zoom model currently on the market. They all vary in terms of features, functionality and most importantly, IQ. When Sony came out with its very first 12x zooms (the H1), I got one and for a long while, it was my fav. camera. Since then, they have released many other models (H2, H5, H9, H50 and now the HX1). Out of these, I had the H50 and that did not last a week. The camera was feature rich at the time but lacked in IQ. IMO, the H2 is still the best of the bunch (but it's now old technology). The HX1 offers many new features not available on any other super zoom but from what I've seen, IQ is just OK. The FZ28 has one of the best lens available, the Leica 18x. It may not have all the bells and whistles that the HX1 has but in terms of IQ, I think it is superior. But then again, that's just my opinion on the matter.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:54 PM   #6

Thank you Mrs. Joyce and Tulio for your helpful reply. The size and weight of the camera isn't a factor for me (of course it has to be within 1kilogram). Mostly I'll be doing indoor shoots (worst case scenario under 40W fluorescent tube light), landscape, and macro and it has to last me for at least 2 years. Please reply as quickly as possible as I'll be buying it within 6 hours.

Safety and Peace,
Fhame Rashid
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:18 PM   #7

Based on the 6 hour deadline, I do not think you can't go wrong with the Panasonic FZ-28 camera. The image quality of the Sony HX-1 does not surpass that of the FZ-28, in lack it is less than the FZ-28 camera. The HX-1 also has less low light capability than the FZ-28.

Therefore, you best bet is to go with the Panasonic FZ-28 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:37 PM   #8

Thank You again Mrs. Joyce I'll go for Panasonic FZ-28. The HX1 3inch tilt-able screen was very appealing to me but I didn't liked the cameras' looks. The FZ-28 looked more smarter designed and simple. I'm planning to get the black one with a extra battery, a memory card, carrying case and a tripod. Two more questions to bother you; buying an micro SD with an adapter is same as using a SD card, right? I was planning to get 8GB. And do you have any advise on what short of feature I should look for in a tripod. Can't wait to go to the store; I'm growing impatient and mom is sleeping.

Safety and Peace,
Fhame Rashid

Last edited by Fhame Rashid; Jul 18, 2009 at 6:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to include detail
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:07 PM   #9

Congratulations on your new Pansonic FZ-28 camera!

Sarah Joyce