Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:48 PM   #1

Default D5000

Hi
I think I have finally settled on getting a D5000 as my first dslr. I had bought a P90 when I first got the bug and I love the camera. Now my wife loves the camera and I thought I would go ahead and step up to the d5000.
I have gone through most of the handwringing already and it came down to
a D90, the D5000, maybe a pentax. But I finally think I am confident with the Nikon. I like them anyway and it seems to be a pretty sophisticated camera with a nice feel to it too.
Now the lens. I can get a good deal at cameta camera. Even 2 VR lenses with the camera for under 1100.00.
But if I only was going to get one lens can u guys give me some insight as to which to start off with? I will get a VR, but what length would u suggest if only one . Actually as I am writing this I am thinking , what the hey, get the 2. But if people will share their wisdom I appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!!

Bob
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:44 PM   #2

Bob-

The Nikon D-5000 will give you some really excellent high ISO capabilities. With that in mind, if you really want a single lens solution, the Nikon 18-200 mm is a good choice, and the Tamron 18-250 mm lens is another option that might even cost less, or nearly the same.

You might consider either of those two lenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:02 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah. I thought about this long and I really feel better knowing you approve of the D5000. The lens thing is gonna be another hard decision. But with a p90 in one habd and the D5000 in the other I can't go wrong .
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:51 AM   #4

The lack of in-camera AF motor and IS are two very strong negatives of this model. Not only you will only be able to use older lenses in manual focus, if you want to take advantage of image stabilization, you must buy the more expensive lenses. If I really wanted to buy a Nikon, I'd go for the D90 instead. It's more expensive but compatible with all old Nikon lenses available (though no in-camera IS). But, that's my opinion.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:33 AM   #5

Currently there are more than 45 Nikon and third party lenses that work on the D-40/D-40X/D-60/D-5000 cameras. After added research myself, I have found the Tamron 18-250 mm lenses have had much better reviews than the 18-200mm lens. and there is a model of the Tamron 18-250mm lens, I believe, that will work on the Nikon D-5000.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The lack of in-camera AF motor and IS are two very strong negatives of this model. Not only you will only be able to use older lenses in manual focus, if you want to take advantage of image stabilization, you must buy the more expensive lenses. If I really wanted to buy a Nikon, I'd go for the D90 instead. It's more expensive but compatible with all old Nikon lenses available (though no in-camera IS). But, that's my opinion.

Here we go again. As was mentioned there are many lenses available that will AF with the D5000, and in all different price points from consumer (the 18-55, 55-200vr is a great two lens, relatively inexpensive kit that covers all ranges) to pro. AF-S lenses are not necessarily more expensive, in fact every kit lens released with new cameras over the last several years are all AF-S, and for the most part better performers than most of the older lenses. When the D40 came out without the focus motor, this was a legitimate argument...several years later this is not the case. Unless you're looking to shoot with bright primes, there is a lens at every price point and focal range that will work just fine. Even the bright prime issue is being addressed, and the situation will continue to get better over time.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote