Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:59 PM   #11

Sarah Joyce
Ok so the A-380 is out for an alternative.
Where I live the don't sell the D5000 with a 18-105mm, there is only the single (18-55mm) and twin kit (18-55mm & 55-200mm).
From what I can see the 18-105mm lens has enough zoom, for me to begin with.
Thanks
Bruno28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:12 PM   #12

Well you see, Bruno, you did not care to list where you live, So I had no idea that you might indeed be living in a foreign country outside the USA.

No, Bruno, you are very correct. The Sony A-350/380 would not be my first choice in DSLR cameras. I may indeed be incorrect, but I think that you will be much better served by the Nikon line of DSLR cameras.

have you considered the Nikon D-60, as well as the Nikon D-5000 cameras? That could save you some money, and allow you to purchase an additional lens to expand your photographic capabilities.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:21 PM   #13

Sorry,
I live in Australia, and the cameras here cost a bit more than in the USA, the are about 200 more compared to over there.
I have not considered the D60, but isn't it a level under the D5000?? And plus its an older model with a small lcd screen.
At the moment the battle is between the D5000 and D90. Which one would you pick if you were going to buy it for yourself?
Which cameras do you have?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:41 PM   #14

Bruno-

That is a very simple question for me to handle. I purchased the Nikon D-5000 because it used the same imager as the D-90 and has the same high ISO/low light capabilities as the D-90. I already own the Nikon SB-600 and SB-800 flash units and the Nikon 18-105 mm VR lens that match the camera perfectly.

So I am all set with the lens and flash unit that I need, and I am having a lot of fun with the Nikon D-5000 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:01 PM   #15

Sarah Joyce

Since both Nikons have the same imager processor I think it would be best to save some money and buy the D5000, it will have the same image quality and iso capabilities as the D90.
Thank you for helping me make my decision.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:19 PM   #16

Bruno-

There is just one more issue that you should know about the Nikon D-5000 camera. There is a Nikon Service Advisory that was issued on Thursday (16 July) about the ON-OFF power switch. So keep abreast of that problem. I have had my D-5000 for about a month now and I have not had a single problem with it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:25 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
If movie capability is a definite must, Sony has one of the best implementations, IMO.
Tulio:

I think you meant Live View versus Movie. Sony has a great Live View mode (much faster Autofocus compared to other dSLR models when using Live View) in the Sony A300, A330, A350 and A380. But, Sony doesn't offer a dSLR model with movie (i.e., Video) capture yet.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:58 PM   #18

Asside from the lack of the internal AF motor, the Nikon D500 lacks a number of advanced features like DOF Preview, but has more entry level features. [See http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Commo...LR_Compare.pdf ]

For some of what you want to do, I think you'll miss some of the features the D90 has but the D5000 doesn't.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:20 PM   #19

For what it's worth, I've NEVER found DOF preview to be a useful feature - especially with the small viewfinders of most DSLRs. I certainly would never base a buying decision on that feature (but that's just me).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Tulio:I think you meant Live View versus Movie.
That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for the correction, TCav.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote