Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:59 PM   #11

Tullio,

How do you think the picture quality compares to the olympus?
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:59 PM   #12

hello
i own a canon xsi and 3 lenses and yes it is a pain in the butt to change lenses and try to get all those settings done quickly so i too went in for a back up superzoom camer and i got the nikon p80 with 18x zoom.
so far so good wbut i have not used it much
similar cameras to use are canon s5 / panasonic fz28 / olympus 570 / sony h5 or h10
the canon gx10 too is a good camera
check out the reviews here at steves they are very good and then go down to a store and take a memory card and try them out
i prfer sd cards as they are cheaper and can be used in a variety of cameras
the olympus/sony/pentax may use prority cards
keep that in mind too
good luck hunting
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:08 PM   #13

Pete-

Thanks very much for your comments. However, I must say that I am somewhat confused. To my 75 year old eyes, the image that I posted from the Olympus E-420 (please examine the 100% crop rather closely) actually exceeds what can be done with either the Nikon P-80 (a camera which I also own) or even the Canon SX-10 camera.

Is the issue, as Tullio suggests, the desire for great image quality or for greater zoom capability?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:47 PM   #14

Suzie-
If you are analytical in any way, the honest truth is that DSLR photos almost always will have a much better image quality than any ultra zoom cameras image quality. However, If greater image reach (greater zoom) is the issue that has your greatest priority rating, then you might be logically looking at an ultra zoom camera with 23 or 24X zoom, but you will be doing that at image quality that is less than you can obtain with a real DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:37 AM   #15

Thank you Sarah Joyce. I will get back to you tonight, I may need help getting those numbers the way you said, I didn't have time last night to get it out and play with it. I do want good image quality,but I do want zoom also. How expensive is a zoom lens?

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:44 AM   #16

I've spent a few days in Tahoe a week or so ago and took over 6 Gb worth of images with my FZ28 (did not take any other cam with me this time). I was amazed with the results. Since I had been to Tahoe many times before and have taken (literally) thousands of pictures from that place, I decided to use this trip to test the various modes available on the FZ28. I shot in Beach, Sunset, Portrait, Sports, B&W, Sepia, you name it, modes and that was a real good prove as of how good of a camera the FZ28 really is. I will soon post some images from that trip. I never had any E4nn camera but I did have the E510 and E520 and I think the FZ28 can produce images that are just as good (if not better) than these two cameras (and I had the WA Zuiko 14-54mm and 70-300mm lenses). As always, this is my opinion based on my own experience.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Jul 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:14 PM   #17

Tullio makes a good point-

The FZ-28 is really an amazing camera. And most important of all, Suzie, it has IS. If you are going to use a long zoom on any DSLR, IS is very important. Unless you are committed to using a tripod when using that zoom lens on the E-450, I would not recommend a long zoom as there is no IS on the E-450 canera.

I have a FZ-28 that I use for my long zoom shots. The Olympus zoom (the 70-300mm lens) costs between $(US) 310.00 and 330.00. That is right near the price of the FZ-28.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:45 PM   #18

The Zuiko 70-300mm is an awesome lens but with the 2x cropping factor of the 4/3 sensor, the 70-300mm becomes 140-600mm and IMO, you will not be very happy with the results shooting at 600mm hand held with the E4nn because, as Sarah mentioned, the E4nn do not have IS and neither has the 70-300mm Zuiko lens. Now, that's not to say that you will not be able to get any good pictures at all. As long as there is plenty of light so you can bump up the speed to 1/1000 (or higher), you should be OK. The rule-of-thumb is to have the shutter speed be 1/FL (in this case, 1/600) for blur-free images. You can go below that with image stabilization but not w/o. To me, the biggest inconvenience os a DSLR is the lens swap business. We had some very windy days in Tahoe and exchanging lenses at the beach on a windy day is a big no-no. You'll get a gazillion of dust specks on the sensor, guaranteed. So, unless you have a DSLR with a lens that has a wider FL range (I have the Tamron 28-300mm for my Sony A200), you are stuck with either the WA or the zoom.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

Never being one to be fearful, Suzie, I am tonight ordering an Olympus E-620 body for myself, so I can continue my exploration of the Olympus Camera Line.
I'm anticipating having my E620 by this Saturday. If things work out as I am hoping, I will be able to take it to the track for some horse racing this Sunday to add to that folder on my web site.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:01 PM   #20

Hi Greg-

Well I had a delivery problem. There was no way to receive the E-620 before we have to depart on another teaching contract on Monday, 07/28/09. So the E-620 is going to have to wait until we return on 08/15.

I will be interested to hear about your personal evaluation and experience with the E-620.

Sarah Joyce