Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:35 PM   #21

Sarah Joyce,

You truly do believe that the dslr is the better camera, right? I will get better close ups of my granddaughter, close ups good enough to print 5 x 7 and frame?

I read and read and read these posts, and am swayed both ways. The Nikon P90 is sitting at Best Buy, and also I saw a Pentax X70 which has a long zoom.

We have an older Sony DSCF717 with a 10X zoom, which I could use for zoom shots. It only has 5 mp but has always taken good pictures.

Do you know anything about the Pentax X70? It seemed to me on the Nikon, that the lens when extended was not real sturdy. I don't know if that is a problem or not. My husband says just keep the Olympus. and I'm guessing that is what you would do also.

I'm sorry to be so wishy washy. I will be off tomorrow and the weekend, so hope to really try out the Olympus.

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:45 PM   #22

Suzie-

The bottom line in any camera purchasing decision is simply this. If you don't really like the camera very much, it will probably sit on a shelf and collect dust. Among the ultra zoom cameras, my top pick is the Panasonic FZ-28. It is a great camera, with IS and 500+mm of zoom. The FZ-28 is very capable and a really fun camera to shoot with no matter what the subject.

Please keep in mind that Panasonic is due to come out with a replacement for the FZ-28 sometime in the next 30 days. Therefore, prices will begin to fall on the FZ-28, as the new camera is introduced.

The FZ-28 is very capable of great image quality and will produce great 5' X 7" or even 8" X 10" photos.

The Nikon P-90 is not a bad choice. It would be my #2 choice in ultra zooms. However, I would delete the Pentax X-70, and the Kodak Z-980 from your consideration list and add the Sony H-50 and HX-1 cameras, because you have a long history of liking photos from Sony cameras in the past.

The bottom line is this: How much zoom do you really want? The FZ-28's 18X optical zoom is plenty for me, I don't see a need for 24X optical zoom. When you pass 18X then you are beginning to fight through atmospheric conditions like smog and dirt/dust in the sky.

So no, I am not going to preach the values of a DSLR camera like the Olympus E-450, because if you don't like it and don't use it, it is not worth the money that you spent on the E-450. That camera (the E-450) I am getting the feeling just does not fit well with your camera shooting style and your preference in cameras. So it might not make much sense to belabor a dead issue. The main thing is to enjoy your cameras and your photos.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 23, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:21 AM   #23

Suzie,

Sarah has given you some good advice re: if you don't like a camera you won't use it. Let me also add this - neither superzoom nor dslr are magic. Both will take poor photos if the person behind the camera doesn't learn a bit about photography and learn when to override the camera (i.e. there are situations where the camera will choose the wrong settings - any camera will in certain circumstances).
You don't have to take 4 years of college on it - but knowing when to use Exposure Compensation, when to force the flash on, positioning yourself with regard to subject and light source (e.g. don't have sun behind your subject) etc are important aspects of photography you'll want to pick up
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:42 AM   #24

Thank you all for your advice. The pics I have taken with the 450E are really pretty good. It came with a 14 -42 mm and a 40-150mm lens. Are these generally all purpose lens that would probably do me for awhile? The bigger one has a zoom but it is really not that much of a zoom. I have been really pleased with the close ups of our 4 mos granddaughter. like I said , we do still have my husbands camera, a Sony DSCF717 which is about 6 - 7 years old, but it does have a 10X zoom.
As far as the cost, I paid $640 for the Olympus with case, 2 lens, straps, battery, charger, and memory card. The other cameras I have been looking at run $350-$500, so there's not that big of a difference. I have about 1 1/2 weeks before I would have to send the Olympus back, so maybe I can make a decision in the next few days.

Thanks,

Suzan

P.S. Sarah Joyce I wish you lived near me!!!
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:14 AM   #25

There is no doubt the Olympus is a capable camera and its priced very aggressively for an SLR. The Zuiko kit lenses are pretty decent also, compared to other kit lenses from other brands. The question here whether convenience and practicality are important to you or not. In terms of image quality, having had two Oly SLRs, I believe the FZ28 is very capable of producing images of similar quality (if not better in some cases). As I pointed out before, swapping lenses can be a pain depending on the circumstance (and some times, impractical and undesirable). Add to that the fact that 300mm is a good range but not quite long enough for some types of photography (wild live for instance). When I bought my first 12x cam, I though that was enough. Now a have the FZ28, which is 18x and not for a moent I believe it's enough. I want more. Now, that's all good as long as image quality remains high. Having more zoom at the expense of IQ is not a wise option. So gar, Panasonic has been able to deliver both, long zoom with high IQ.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:08 PM   #26

Suzie-

In the next week or so, as you take your photos, things will, I would guess, will become a lot more clear. The things that I believe you should focus on are these:

(1) Really attempt to define pretty precisely how much zoom really pleases you.

(2) Really attempt to define if having having multiple lens is a positive or a negative factor, in your opinion. Perhaps a camera with a fixed lens (like your husband's Sony F-717) and like the Panasonic FZ-28 camera that begins at a 28mm wide angle (in 35mm terms) and then zooms all the way out to 504mm at it full 18X optical zoom setting is a better personal solution for you.

(3) For some folks, like me, the size of the kit you have to carry around when using a DSLR camera can be a negative. Please determine how you respond to the size of your camera kit. Is it positive or negative personally for you?

(4) Determine if you are more likely to grab you camera and take a quick shot because it is easy and/or convenient for you. Does using the DSLR result in you taking fewer or more photos.

If we lived closer together I would love to see you in one of my classes that I do both for our state university and our local community college. I could also happily hand you my Panasonic FZ-28 camera to use for a week, so you could gain some hands on experience with it and for you to get a direct comparison of the camera handling, the image quality, and how you like the feel of the camera.

Have a good day and take some great photos today.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:02 PM   #27

Default Photo Sample from the Sony H-50

Suzie-

I am going to post a few sample photos from the super zoom cameras that I mentioned previously. Here is a sample photo from the Sony H-50.

This is an outdoor photo were naturally the H-50 does very well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:05 PM   #28

Default Photo Sample from the Panasonic FZ-28

Suzie-

Here we see very different lighting conditions. This is a no flash photo, where the ISO was increased to ISO 800 to capture the photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:11 PM   #29

Default A Photo Sample from the Sony HX-1 Camera

Suzie-

Here is another no flash photo example taking in a local Optical Shop with the ISO set to ISO 800 and using no flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:55 PM   #30

Default Photo Sample from the Canon S-5

Suzie-

I don't own the new Canon SX-10 camera, but I do own the camera that the SX-10 replaced, the Canon S-5 IS camera. Like the Canon SX-10 the Caon S-5 IS had a hot shoe on it so you could use an external flash.

Having used the S-5 IS a lot, I can share with you that the camera is really ISO limited. The photos look great as long as you keep the ISO setting below ISO 200.

This is a photo of my ever patient husband who never minds me taking his photo. This photo was taken inside our house. Not wanting to go over my self imposed ISO 200 limit, I attached the canon EX-430 external flash to provide more light and the preserve the image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images