Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:19 PM   #31

Sarah Joyce,
Thanks for the pictures, they are really good. I have officially packed the Olympus back in the box, and am sending it back. I just could not "bond" with it. I have been looking for the Panasonic FZ28, but can't find it anywhere. Best Buy has the Nikon P90, and the Sony and Canon, but not the Panasonic.

Anyone know where I might find one?

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:29 PM   #32

Suzie-

The FZ-28 is rather hard to find right now. www.amazon.com seems to have it at $(US) 379.95. I have read posts from other folks who are grabbing the telephone and the yellow pages and locating a FZ-28 that way.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:20 PM   #33

Default Another Sony HX-1 Photo Sample

Suzie-

You might want to look at the reviews on the Sony HX-1 camera. It is a pretty unique camera, but it does have some very interesting feature that you might like. It has 20X optical zoom, that is 28mm to 560mm, in 35mm terms.

I had the camera on loan from Sony for about a week between teaching contracts. I was impressed with the camera and its features overall. But I saw it as a first stab at the issue. The Sony HX-1 was produced to compete with the Canon SX-10. Both cameras use a CMOS imager in place of a standard, and very, very small CCD imager.

Personally I think that the HX-1 does more things to take advanatge of that new CMOS imager, than the Canon SX-1 does. So Sony gets a thumbs up from me for their effort. There is a lot to like about the Sony HX-1, but there is still a lot of potential in that CMOS imager that has not yet been successfuly tapped.

www.amazon.com has the Sony HX-1 camera at $(US) 419.95, which is the lowest price that I have seen for the Sony HX-1 camera. I like www.amazon.com because of their 30 day no questions asked return policy.

I will leave it at that, Suzie. Take a look at the camera reviews, the Sony HX-1, or Sony H-50 might work for you if you cannot find a Panasonic FZ-28. I was pressed for time, when I initially evaluated the Sony HX-1 camera. Quite honestly, because the Sony HX-1 offers so many very unique features, such as the Twilight Mode, the 10 fps Burst speed, and the Automatic Panorama Mode, I will probably return to the Sony HX-1 later this summer for a second look at the camera, between teaching cntracts when we have more time at home. At www.amazon.com the Sony HX-1 price has dropped to $419.95, which makes it a bit more attractive, price-wise.

Here also, is the promised Sony HX-1 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 24, 2009 at 7:41 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:29 PM   #34

Sarah Joyce,

That Sony HX1 does have alot of neat features. I will look into that one.

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:43 PM   #35

Thanks, Suzie-

For going the extra mile. I sincerely believe that in your case, the Sony HX-1 is worth a good look.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:25 PM   #36

Suzie-

As you have already seen, I sincerely believe that the Sony HX-1 offers some very unique and amazing features. I am quite honestly not sure, that that makes the Sony HX-1 my #! choice in ultra zooms. But it is certainly a camera that is worth seriously considering.

Please just read the reviews and then make your own decision.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi Greg-

Well I had a delivery problem. There was no way to receive the E-620 before we have to depart on another teaching contract on Monday, 07/28/09. So the E-620 is going to have to wait until we return on 08/15.

I will be interested to hear about your personal evaluation and experience with the E-620.

Sarah Joyce
Very cool little camera!

I drove over to Arlington Camera this morning and picked up my body-only purchase. Tried buying an extra battery but they didn't have one, which is OK as I'll probably be buying the accessory grip too for when I want to use it with the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD Zuikos.

Spent much of the afternoon figuring out my settings. Taking it to the horse track tomorrow for the final day of live racing for the summer session.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:15 AM   #38

That's a very positive report, Greg-

Enjoy your new baby! I hope you get some great photos at the track tomorrow. Have a great time. Today is packing day for us. We drive to Portland tomorrow and willbe on a plan Tuesday. This is a short contract, we should be back by 17 August.

Sarah Joyce