Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Nikon P90 vs. Olympus E450 dslr

Hi everyone,

I need help. I have bought an Olympus E450 dslr. I have had it for about a week, and believe it is over my head. It is my first dslr ever. I have been using a Sony DSC H-3, but have passed it to my son. After reading alot of these forums, am seriously considering sending the Olympus back and buying either the Nikon P90 or the Panasonic FZ28. Is either one better than the other/ I mostly take pics of my granddaughter, our dogs, scenery, etc. Usually not much sports. But I really want a good zoom. The olympus came with 2 lenses, one up to 300 but that doesn't seem to be much. I know nothing about all the different settings. And the manual gives me a headache!!! One thing I do like on the Olympus is I don't have to correct red eye as I always have with the Sony.

I guess what I really want is someone to tell me that one of those other 2 cameras will do what I need. I'm so confused!!!
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:36 PM   #2

Default Attempting to Solve You Olympus E-450 Problems

Dave-

I do not have the Olympus E-450, instead I own the Olympus E-420 (the previous model) and I have been very pleased with it performance. Let's see if we can sort this out for you.

(1) I have found that the E-420, at least, performs much better when used with the camera's Mode Selector in the "P" for Programed Auto, rather than the Auto position of the Mode Selector.

(2) Do not hesitate to use ISO 400, at least for now as your base ISO setting. This will keep your shutter speed high enough so that you will not have to worry about blurring caused by low shutter speeds. The E-450, like the E-420 does not have IS or Image Stabilization.

(3) Can you please post some photo samples of your own photos. With them on the screen, we can analyze them and perhaps give you even better pointers to get the photos that you are looking for with your E-450 camera.

Here is a sample photo, that I took this morning (07/21) with my Olympus E-420, using the new Zukio 50-200 mm lens which is an excellent performer and very sharp.

We are here to help you Dave. Please work with us and I think that we can get this all straightened out rather easily.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:38 PM   #3

Default 100% Crop of the Above Posted Photo

Hi again, Dave-

Here is a 100% crop of the above posted photos, so that you can more easily see the fine detail.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:41 PM   #4

Dave-

Just like the E-450 camera, the Nikon D-90 is also a very able camera. I sincerely believe that the problem, thus far for you with the Olympus E-450 most probably lies in your technique. And that is something that we can help you with right here on the Forum.

By the way a very hearty welcome to the Forum.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:51 PM   #5

Sarah Joyce,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I am Suzie, Dave's wife. I will try to post some of my pics. Its not so much that I think the 450 won't take good pics, its just that I am afraid it may be overkill for me. I don't like having to set everything every time I pick it up to take a quick shot. Especially when I have to look through the manual to see what each setting should be on. Do you have any experience with the Nikon P90? I have read most of the forums on here about that camera. It also would cost about half of what I paid for the 450. I really thought I wanted to learn about all those settings but now (at 10:00 at night) am not so sure.

Suzie
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:57 PM   #6

Here are a few pics:
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:35 PM   #7

First of all, Suzie-

Thank you for introducing yourself and welcome to the Forum. The photos that you have posted are a great deal better that you could get with the Nikon P-90 ultra zoom camera.

So my first action is to positively praise you and tell you that you have done much better job with the Olympus E-450 that a lot of folks who have jumped on the camera, as their first DSLR experience.

Its natural that you would have some jitters. Let's make this a lot easier, just use the "P" for Programed Auto, instead of the "Auto" position on the Mode Selector. That will help you make a big improvement. That is step one.

You are already on the right track. The Olympus E-450 is a great camera. We just have to keep in mind its limitations. The E-450 does not have Image Stabilization, therefore, we have to remain very aware of the shutter speed that the Olympus E-450 is selecting for each photo.

You can easily determine what shutter speed the camera has selected by simply pressing 1/2 way down on the shutter release. In the viewfinder at the very bottom you will see a small screen that tells you the aperture, selected as well as the shutter speed your E-450 has selected. Suzie, you want the shutter speed to be at least 1/over the lens focal length. That may sound complicated, but let's break it down into small pieces. If you are using the Zuiko 14-42 mm kit lens, you want at least 1/50th of a second on the shutter speed. How did we arrive at 1/50th, well 1/the focal legth of the lens would be 1/42 shutter speed. So for simplicity sake, we have to 1/50th of a second, the next logical shutter speed that the camera would normally use.

If you were using your second lens, the Zukio 50-200 mm lens, naturally you want at least 1/200th of a second on the shutter speed. Suzie, please remember, it it is 1/over the focal length of the lens. So for that lens you want at least 1/200th od a second shutter speed.

How do you increase the shutter speed? That would be a very natural question. If you want to increase your shutter speed, you just have to numerically increase your ISO speed that you have set on the camera. You may have to move the seleted ISO speed from ISo 200 to ISO 40, for example, based on the light existing in your photo environment.

Suzie, you have already demonstrated some pretty good photos. I think that all we have to do is to refine your photo techniques a bit. You are almost there, Suzie, and you are already getting better photos than you could possibly obtain with the Nikon P-90 ultra zoom camera.

So please hang in there, Suzie, I think that we are very close to clearing up this problem. Oh yes, you most probably want to know something about me as well.

I am a 75 year old professional digital camera instructor, who has been teaching digital cameras for the last 15 years. I teach for two state universities as well as our local Community College.

I find joy in helping folks sort out technical issues.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:44 PM   #8

Sarah Joyce,
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will try out your suggestions tomorrow afternoon. I have alot of our 4 mo. old granddaughter, but my daughter in law would probably kill me if I posted her on the internet!! I am really impressed with the eyes with the 450, it really shows how blue they are. I always had to work on the eyes in photoshop with my old camera.
Well I won't pack it up and ship it back after talking with you I will work on it some more.

Thanks so much for your help.

Suzie
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:24 PM   #9

Thank you very much, Suzie-

That is the spirit. I will be here to help you along the way. You have made a really excellent beginning, and I am 100% confident that we can help you to really enjoy the Olympus E-450 camera a whole lot.

Never being one to be fearful, Suzie, I am tonight ordering an Olympus E-620 body for myself, so I can continue my exploration of the Olympus Camera Line.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 21, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:59 AM   #10

OK, let's look at this situation from a slightly different perspective. Although I agree with Sarah's comments/suggestions, I can see where you are coming from. The biggest problem with DSLRs is lens exchange. You want to capture a lot, you use the WA lens, you want to zoom in, you have to swap the lens. That exercise can be very aggravating at times. Even though the E420 has a 2x cropping factor (in other words, a 45-150mm lens has a reach of 90-300mm in 35mm scale), in many situations that's not long enough. I like to have a reach of at least 400mm. So, the options then become either buying the more expensive Zuiko 70-300mm lens, which will give you a 600mm FL or one of those long zoom P&S (P90, FZ28, etc.). Going by what you wrote, I'd say the P&S is a better fit. I'm not familiar with the P90 but I do have the FZ28 and absolutely love it. I think in terms of IQ, it's right up there with the E420 (if not better) AND it gives you the flexibility of having a wonderful 28-504mm reach at the tip of your finger. Easy to carry around and all that.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote