Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1

Default Looking for some opinions

I'll keep it short, need to replace old camera, and have come close to a decision, any reasons I shouldnt buy a Kodak Z-1012 -

I like the viewfinder, big zoom, and aa batts, and price. Any other cameras I might be overlooking that equal or outperform? Thanks!

Kevin
TheVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:45 PM   #2

Default The Kodak Z-1012 is a really Great Camera!

TheVer-

You have made a great choice with the Kodak Z-1012 camera. That camera is a real performer. However, it uses the Kodak KLIC-8000 battery, the CRV-3 battery, or Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. I persoally have found the KLIC-8000 batteries perform the best.

You can easily purchase those KLIC-8000 Batteries on www.ebay.com for an inexpensive price. You have made a great camera choice and I applaud you.

Here is a no flash photo taken of a stage production with the Kodak Z-1012 camera with the ISO set to ISO 800, taken from 120 feet away from the stage.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:49 PM   #3

Default A 100% crop of the Above Posted Photo

The Ver-

Here is a 100% crop of the above posted photo if you want to examine the fine details.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVer View Post
...any reasons I shouldnt buy a Kodak Z1012...like the viewfinder, big zoom, and aa batts, and price. Any other cameras I might be overlooking that equal or outperform?
I have a Z1012, and a Z712, its predecessor, used intensively for over two years. The only reason not to buy is the prejudice you'll find in these forums. I fear folk don't like to believe that a camera this good can be so inexpensive. It doesn't feel expensive, but this is an advantage - it's very light so you can carry it easily. I like the viewfinder very much, and even use it to set difficult exposures by eye.

Beware of the AA batteries claim. The only AAs that will work this camera are throwaway Li primary batteries, which will take hundreds of shots. I carry these as emergency backup. AA rechargeables will start the camera, but last for only a few shots. These battery issues are excessively well-explored in the 'Batteries or Power Packs' and 'Kodak' forums.

The best battery options are Li-ion rechargeables - the proprietary KLIC-8000 and dedicated charger, or 'rechargeable CR-V3' and chargers from various suppliers. Note that the charger must match the battery. Throwaway primary lithium CR-V3 batteries are yet another option.

I bought my Z1012 as a backup for my Z712, and I use them interchangeably. If you search these forums, there are loads of Z1012 and Z712 specimen shots. 'ac.smith' uses an even earlier model, the Z612, nearly identical to my two, and all his shots, like Sarah Joyce's ('mtclimber') are worth viewing.

If, eventually, you want to move on and buy something better and more expensive, the Z1012 is cheap enough to stay with you as a backup camera. Having used it for a while, you'll soon have a good idea of what, if anything, more you'd like from a camera.

Good luck!

Last edited by Alan T; Jul 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5

Guess Im having trouble grasping why the camera wont operate efficiently on aa's, not even high quality NiMH (like 2700 mAh)? Thanks for the other info as it sounds like a quality camera. My old camera was a powershot s45 - and kind of liked the idea of aa batts vs the 'special' ones.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:54 PM   #6

Many cameras designed for use with Li-ion batteries draw quite heavy currents, which pairs of AAs cannot provide without dropping their voltage below the camera's cut-off 'low battery' value.

Lithium throwaways are the only AAs that can deliver enough current at high enough voltage.

The "2700" is what quantity of electricity they can store, not how quickly they can deliver it (current) at what 'pressure' (voltage, potential).

Also 2700mAh batteries aren't necessarily 'high quality'. There are good quality ones and bad ones as well on sale.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:57 PM   #7

Thanks! So by having a heavy draw, the aa's cant recover quick enough, and or store enough juice to keep things going? Any recommendations on brands of batteries? Or what do you use in your cameras? Again thanks
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:37 PM   #8

kevin-

The kodak Z-1012 camera is an excellent choice.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:43 PM   #9

Hmmm...I seem to be a bit late as I swear there were more places selling the 1012 a few nights ago, and starting to get discontinued on some of the searches. Know of any good deals out there? I swear I had one in the cart for 199 and not used or refurb.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:13 PM   #10

The Ver-

Well here is the situation in the USA. The supply of Kodak Z-1012 cameras is deminishing rapidly. Whereas the price, here in the USA was several months ago under $(US) 200.00. That price has now as of 22 July risen to $(US) 230.00.

The supply or inventory, at least here in the USA has been substantially reduced. Ver, although do not care to tell us where your home might be, I am guessing that you live overseas. Perhaps, in the U.K.

The Kodak Z-1012 is a rather amazing camera with a lot of features. it is best powered by the Klick 8000 battery, which is easily available on www.ebay.com. I personally, have purchased 4 different KLIC-8000 batteries on www.ebay.com at an average price of $(US) 8.00.

So the batteries are indeed there and readily available, but the inventory of cameras is disappearing rather rapidly. Ver, if you are indeed very interested in the Kodak Z-1012, and it is an excellent digital camera, I urge you to take action rather immediately.

Sarah Joyce