Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Which Superzoom should my wife get? Canon SX10 or Lumix FZ28?

You've already helped me pick my camera. Now I need your help again!

My wife is looking for an all around camera and she likes superzoom models.

We've been looking on the net and arrived to the point where we have to choose between:

Canon SX10 IS
and
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

They are both very similiar cameras and because of video quality, and the awful purple fringing of the Canon(when shooting high contrast pictures), we are closer to decide to buy the FZ28. Although I really prefer Canon's audio quality in videos.

Making some deeper research I found that it is available to put CHDK to the Canon. I really do not understand exactly how this works, but I did understand that this enhances the cam.

Is the purple fringing possible to eliminate?
Can videos quality be improved?
What other upgrades and features thas the CHDK add, besides of the RAW/DNG?

Thanks! We really need your help. We trust you!
ramagutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:58 AM   #2

You better make up your mind pretty fast. The 28 has been discontinued and a replacement has not yet been announced. May want to wait and see what Panasonic has in store....
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3

These cameras (among many other super zoom models) have been extensively covered here. I suggest you do a search on FZ28 and you'll find a ton of information.

BTW, I haven't read anything anywhere about the FZ28 being discontinued. Yes, it is time for a new replacement model to be announced but usually Panasonic does not discontinue the old model prior to the announcement of the new one.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:48 AM   #4

Thank you both for your anwers.
I do know that there is a lot of info of the cameras in the forum. That's why I choose these 2 cameras.
I made this thread because my question is another: I asked what improvements did the chdk brought to the canon sx10is so I could re-compare it with the panasonic.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
These cameras (among many other super zoom models) have been extensively covered here. I suggest you do a search on FZ28 and you'll find a ton of information.

BTW, I haven't read anything anywhere about the FZ28 being discontinued. Yes, it is time for a new replacement model to be announced but usually Panasonic does not discontinue the old model prior to the announcement of the new one.

I checked with B & H Photo in NYC. It is definitely discontinued.
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:30 PM   #6

CHDSK is where you actually modify the Canon SX-10 firmware. It has a lot of folks who like it and those that perceive that it does not add that much advantage to the SX-10.

One of the basic difference between the SX-10 and the FZ-28 is that the SX-10 has a hot shoe where you can mount an external flash unit. If your wife takes a lot of indoor photos, that are much improved with the external flash, then that could be a factor that affects your decision.

What about shooting in low lighting venues? The FZ-28 is better under those conditions, than the SX-10.

We live in a supply and demand world. I paid $(US)235.00 when I purchased my FZ-28. Now as the manufature of the camera has stopped, and the camera has been officially been discontinued by Panasonic, things have really changed, as the inventory of FZ-28 has dwindled. Today, the FZ-28 is selling for over $(US) 400.00.

The Canon SX-10 is selling for between $(US) 360.00 and $375.00. Does that price difference affect your decision.

You mentioned that the video clip feature is important to you. The Canon S-5 camera actually had better video and sound recording capabilities than either the SX-10 or the FZ-28.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:56 PM   #7

Thanks!
If you know about other CHDK advantages I would be pleased to read them!
Moreover ones regarding video quality and purple fringing or noise reduction.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan C. View Post
I checked with B & H Photo in NYC. It is definitely discontinued.
I did some search and indeed most stores do not have it in stock. Amazon still has it but it's not sold by Amazon and I never heard about those retailers. You might try eBay.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:54 PM   #9

I found the FZ28 at a local Cameras West (part of Ritz Camera). They claim they have heard nothing about the FZ28 being discontinued, and have plenty of stock. They're selling it for MSRP. I emailed Panasonic a couple days ago, and got a reply today. They told me that the FZ28 is still a current model, and there is no planned replacement. It sure puzzles me though, why all these highly reputable online dealers have gotten rid of it. The only electronics store local to me which ever carried it, still has it - though it isn't on the Ritz Camera web site.

??? I don't know, I'm just saving my pennies since it's way cheaper locally than online, now.
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 9:25 PM   #10

aaroncgi-

You may have indeed gotten one of the last Panasonic FZ-28 cameras that are still available in the inventory system. God bless you! The inventory of the Panasonic FZ-28 is fast disappearing. And I must admit that the rate they are disappearing at is really amazing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote