Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic…or?

Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic…or?

Does the Gear You have Really Matter? Or How I learned to just take a “Pitcher…”

Well, I will commence with a simple answer "NO"...Whether it is a Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung or any Medium format camera and digital back out there, it really is of no great consequence which brand you own! You want to know why? Based on a recent survey, 90 percent of all DSLR camera's rarely print their images larger than A4 (8x10") format. In other words and in most cases, a good 5 mega pixel camera with good noise specifications would be more than sufficient to do the job and do it very well.

Now, if what you spend most of your time doing is pixel peeping your images at 100 percent on your screen to see if you can notice any anomaly of any sort, than yes, do go out and purchase a $40,000.00, 50 mega pixel back for your Hasselblad. However, if you do so, you will find that you might notice some interesting phenomena, like high chroma noise issues at anything above 400 iso.

Another interesting problem is that when you go to press, the tram noise or pattern will destroy most of those fine pixels that you observed on the screen, a kind of natural grain producer of sorts.

Of course the quality of the sensor is very important, but I believe that any of the 10 mega pixel plus camera's out there could do an admirable job.

I have watched with bemusement the wars that are ongoing on the forums between this and that brand and usually come away thinking that unless you know why you have purchased a brand and to what purpose, than you might as well close your eyes and do a "eenee, meenee, mynee, mo" exercise to determine your choice.

So, if you have no plans to produce an image larger than 12 x19" and have a limited budget, feel confident that no matter what you buy, it will be overkill for that format.

Just be happy that the technology provided for the photographer today has easily out specified the top end camera that existed just 3 years ago.

Enjoy your toy and go out and play...

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=921
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Administrator

I'll make sure to let management know that Steve's shouldn't need to do any more camera reviews, since they're all the same. ;-)

I guess I'll have to tell our sports shooters that issues like Autofocus Speed and subject tracking ability, available lenses with fast AF speed and good IQ at wider apertures needed for low light use and more don't make any difference, too. They can just flip a coin to decide the camera they need, pick any brand and get the same results, right? ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:26 PM   #3

Yes, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. It sounds great, and for many types of photography, as long as you have the right lenses / lighting for the job this is true. But I can certainly testify from a sports shooting standpoint that the brand does, in fact, matter. Out of focus images don't get published. When you're tracking moving subjects, there's still a large gulf in the capabilities of the Nikon / Canon systems and what Pentax / Oly can provide. Also including the array of pro-grade lenses with an emphasis not only on image quality but focus performance.

So while it's a quaint notion that gear system never matters, like most black/white statements it doesn't represent reality.

You certainly have some informative posts, and your photographs speak for themselves but this is not one of those posts.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:29 PM   #4

I basically agree with him, because I noticed that he put in a caveat - "unless you know why you have purchased a brand and to what purpose" - that sounds to me that he excluded people with specific needs such as sports shooting and perhaps someone who has specific flash system needs.

With those two exceptions (and perhaps macro shooters who might crop a lot in which case more MP come in handy), I would agree that just about any camera will do the job and often suggest that ergonomics mean more than fancy features for the most part. Yes, some of those fancy features come in really handy for some people, but often just make taking pictures easier, not necessarily better quality. I'm sure that any dSLR on the market would do what I usually shoot. Weather sealing for me is preferable and makes things easier, but there are work-arounds for cameras that aren't.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:01 AM   #5

Default Comparing brands

I just read the discussion. I'm still wondering what the differences are between the brands since i'm in the middle of choosing. It seems a bit as thin ice, choosing just by the availablility at the photographer's shop and by picking a brand by comfortability (how the body is held; how the functions can be operated). (I'm one of those guys choosing after a thourough analysis ;-)
I would like to compare the brands from a functional point of perspective. Like mentioned: sports would be better taken with nikon or canon, compared to pentax or olympus (is that less easy? or does it give lower quality?). And so: that holds for kids as well?
Other aspects would be lower light conditions (in house; evenings); configuration possibilities of the buttons, menu; noise level (does it distract the persons taken).
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:20 PM   #6

Ben is a professional photographer of considerable note and when he speaks, many listen. He makes a lot of sense.

I note that far too many photographers are 'brand loyal' conscious.

In fact it reminds me...sometimes... of the somewhat negative climate in another passion of mine...the automotive world. The Ford vs Chevy...the Mercedes vs BMW wars that have gone on forever in the hot rod and automotive racing worlds.

For example my Ford engine is better than your Chevy engine...BMW makes sports sedans that Mercedes cannot hope to emulate etc. None of this is true, they are all good machines.

I have had and continue to have many different brands of cameras over the past 40 years, including Leica, Mamiya, Pentax, Canon, Olympus, etc. and they're all very good.

Modern digital DSLR's are remarkable machines that can produce great pictures, in the right hands.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:27 PM   #7

Les-

I, for one, am not brand loyal at all. All I desire is the very best camera to handle the proposed photo task. It is as simple as that.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

I, for one, am not brand loyal at all. All I desire is the very best camera to handle the proposed photo task. It is as simple as that.

Sarah Joyce
I know Sarah, you are an excellent proponent of determining a person's needs and then making recommendations, based on the camera that best meets those needs.

You have helped many an individual on this web alone with your informed and bias free suggestions as to matching the equipment to the needs of the person.

It would be helpful, if more followed your lead, IMO.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:16 PM   #9

Thanks very much for that nice compliment, Les-

I really do enjoy helping folks, and sincerely attempt to keep very up to date with the forum so that I can help people in the very best, unbiased way.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I basically agree with him, because I noticed that he put in a caveat - "unless you know why you have purchased a brand and to what purpose" - that sounds to me that he excluded people with specific needs such as sports shooting and perhaps someone who has specific flash system needs.

With those two exceptions (and perhaps macro shooters who might crop a lot in which case more MP come in handy), I would agree that just about any camera will do the job and often suggest that ergonomics mean more than fancy features for the most part. Yes, some of those fancy features come in really handy for some people, but often just make taking pictures easier, not necessarily better quality. I'm sure that any dSLR on the market would do what I usually shoot. Weather sealing for me is preferable and makes things easier, but there are work-arounds for cameras that aren't.
Very well said, in my view. As a chronic tech-head I am guilty of researching fancy features and performance. But to be honest that is mainly to provide a certain confidence level in my selection. IE, the perceived advantage over the competition may be overblown, even trivial. But the confidence still counts, however misplaced, so the research goes on. And that does not always lead to the same camera brand.

deep thoughts Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote