Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:03 AM   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
Sarah, would you say the Pentax and the Panasonic would give you similar IQ at ISO's up to 800 ?
Simple answer is no, the Pentax will do a better job. You are pretty much looking at the ISO being the same 2 stops better with the Pentax.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:06 AM   #22

anthony_b-

Mark answered your question very well. The larger imager (an APS-C imager to be exact) is roughly 15 times larger, or a bit more, than the small CCD imager used in the FZ-28 or the newer FZ-35. Therefore, the Pentax KM or K-2000 is going to have a better low light/high ISO capability. It is really a matter of physics and physical size.

Therefore, if you do a lot of low light level shooting, or plan to consistently use high ISO settings, the Pentax KM is a better choice.

For me at least, the trade-off is in the expense of the needed lenses in a DSLR camera. The FZ-28 and its newer cousin can zoom out to 504mm. A lens that would fit the Pentax KM and zoom out to 500mm would be both expensive and physically large. That is why a DSLR camera kit is substantially larger in physical size and weight than a digicam or point & shoot camera kit.

So there is your decision, anthony_b.

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:22 AM   #23

thanks, for the replys....let me pose another question if I may, if I took both cameras to the beach and shot a picture at the same exact time during sunlight and both cameras were set to AUTO, would there be a big difference in IQ ?...Most of my picture taking would be at amusement parks, beach, birthday parties (indoors/outdoors) and on occasion would like to take pictures at the zoo, birds, plants (I live in a area with a lot of ponds and conservation area, and maybe would like to go out and take some nice pictures). The most important ones that I've missed have been the school plays and graduation of my kids, where I've had to zoom in and the pictures come out dark and grainy (school auditoriums)

Last edited by anthony_b; Aug 20, 2009 at 9:34 AM.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:34 AM   #24
Super Moderator

Potentially not but there are a huge amount of variables, also there are many creative things that can be done with a dSLR that you can't do with a Superzoom, however there are convenience benefits to a Superzoom. I have a selection of cameras so can choose to take a SZ or a dSLR with me as fits the occasion. If I were choosing one as a tool to learn photography there is no choice get a dSLR, if you want to grab some memories without carrying a lot of kit then go SZ.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:27 AM   #25

Thanks Mark for the reply, I think I would be happy with the standard 3x optical zoom the Pentax k2000 comes with, and don't think it's that much bigger then the Panny fz35 I'm looking at. I just hate to get home and see noisy shots when I upload them from a nice event one of the kids had.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
Thanks Mark for the reply, I think I would be happy with the standard 3x optical zoom the Pentax k2000 comes with, and don't think it's that much bigger then the Panny fz35 I'm looking at. I just hate to get home and see noisy shots when I upload them from a nice event one of the kids had.
Just wanted to chime in. I would NOT expect to get good shots of a play or other activity in a school auditorium with the standard kit lens (and certainly not a superzoom). For those types of activities you'll want a lens with at least f2.8 aperture (and even then you're at ISO 1600-3200). And of course focal length comes into play. If you're 60 feet back you'd need a 150-200mm lens (not equivelent but the physical lens focal length). That's one subset of your 'needs' that can be expensive. For your other needs, adding an external flash will allow you to do the birthday parties, etc.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:55 AM   #27

Default Pentax KM/K-2000 Photo Samples

anthony_b-

Here is what the Pentax KM can do when using the Pentax 50-200 lens from the audience and using the built-in flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:59 AM   #28

Default Pentax KM/K-2000 Photo Samples

anthony_b-

Here is a good photo example that makes JohnG's point about a fast lens very real. This KM photo sample was really "pushed" because I was using that same Pentax 50-200mm lens which is only an F 4.0 lens and just the existing light on stage. Therefore, I had to raise the ISO setting to 1600 and the photo began to deteriorate on me.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
anthony_b-

Here is what the Pentax KM can do when using the Pentax 50-200 lens from the audience and using the built-in flash.

Sarah Joyce
Let's put a little more info into this.
1) Stage lighting not the same as school auditorium
2) I wouldn't plan on shooting more than 20-25 feet away with a built in flash. You're not going to be able to shoot from 50' away with a built in flash on any camera.

So, you just have to be aware of limitations of gear. If you can work within those limitations, all is good. So using Sarah's approach would require you to be fairly close (and it requires you be allowed to shoot flash).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:11 PM   #30

JohnG-

Is correct, you would have to be close to the stage in any school auditorium. Being close and using a very fast lens (like the Sigma 50mm F 1,8 lens, or the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens, which would require you to be at the very edge of the stage) might delete ,depending on the lighting used, the need for flash. If flash is permitted, then use an excellent output external flash like the Pentax AF-540, or the Sigma 530 DG Super flashes.

Sarah Joyce