Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:26 PM   #31

Great point guys, so unless I purchase a better lense for the dslr, I would most likely get the same performance from both cameras IQ wise if I were sitting in the back...right ?....also I would like to note that my maximum size prints would be 8x10

Last edited by anthony_b; Aug 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:17 PM   #32

Anthony - I can't say IQ would be the same - I can just say in both cases it wouldn't be good enough. That's the thing about photography though - if you want good results, the onus still lies with the person behind the camera. So, if you want good shots you have to get close AND have the right gear. If you can't get close the right gear doesn't matter so much (without EXTREMELY expensive gear)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:03 PM   #33

Default 100% crop of a 6mp Nikon D-40 Photo

anthony_b-

The bottom line is that a DSLR is better equipment. However, to be quite honest with you it will require more than just a Nikon D-40 and the kit lens to cover your photography needs.

For this attached photo (a 100% crop of a 6mp D-40 image) it took the D-40, the Nikon 18-105mm lens (the kit lens for the Nikon D-5000 camera) and a Nikon SB-600 external flash. Oops, I guess I goofed! You are interested in the pentax KM, not the Nikon D-40. I apologize.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM. Reason: to add photo
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:18 PM   #34

Default Pentax KM/K-2000 100% Crop Photo Sample

anthony_b-

Here is a 100% (so you can see fine detail) of the Captain's photo which you have seen before. The KM has built-in IS as oppossed to the Nikon D-40 which has VR in the lens.

Also the KM is 10mp DSLR while the D-40 is a 6mp DSLR camera. When you compare these two 100% crops you can see that the Nikon 18-105mm F 3.5 lens is a bit better lens than the Pentax 50-200mm F 4.0 lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:51 AM   #35

Canon digital cameras covers the entire spectrum of Cameras.
Canon Superzoom or Pentax DSLR?
I prefer to go with Canon Superzoom instead Pentax DSLR, Because it is handy, Super picture quality with excellent Zoom. They are all very compact with a number being small enough to slip into a pocket

Mark Philips
Business Executive

Mod note, please don't advertise - link removed. Thanks.
bullsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:54 AM   #36
Super Moderator

Hi Mark and welcome to Steve's, I had to remove your advertising link but look forward to seeing you around the board.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:42 PM   #37

Sarah and others, thank for all the help. To complicate things even more my cousin brought over his Olympus e-520 and I really liked it a lot, also for around the same price of a superzoom......Man, I've never had such a hard time on deciding on a purchase !!...lol
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:45 PM   #38

anthony_b-

I am not sure that we got you sufficient information to make your decision.

In a way of helping, let me share this with you. As you can see, I shoot with a Nikon D-40 equipped with the Nikon 18-105mm lens. That is a great, but a physically small, and less expensive camera kit. I also onwn the Pentax KM/K-2000 camera, but it is not as good, in terms of image quality as my Nikon D-40 combination.

I use super zoom cameras to cover the more distant photos because long zoom lenses for DSLR cameras are very expensive indeed. Wow! the prices are virtually out of sight!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 30, 2009, 4:52 AM   #39

Default A related question?

Hello. I realise this thread is over a month old, but it is also relevant to my decision making.

You have all made good and relevant points that are so close to answering my question.

I am interested in the panasonic dg1 and the fz35. They both have the flip out screen which I use all the time, both relatively light weight and not too big. And, both use contrast focus for AF. If I got the dg1 I would get both lenses 14-45 and 45-200mm.

The fz38 has a max aperture of 2.8 4.4, the dg1 14-45 is 3.5-5.6 and the 45-200mm is 4-5.6. My question is, what would be better? The fz38 has a smaller sensor but with it's wider aperture could take photos at lower iso which means less noise. Or the dg1 with it's smaller aperture which means it will take photos at higher iso, but it has a much larger sensor and will handle noise better at higher iso?

Or, to be more specific, the dg1 taking the same photo at say iso 800 and the fz38 taking the same photo at iso 400? Would the dg1 still be so much better under those circumstances?
poohduck is offline   Reply With Quote