Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:24 PM   #1

Default Canon Superzoom or Pentax DSLR?

After reading many reviews and threads..

It came to me this question:
Is it worth it pay $100 more to buy the pentax k2000 than buying the Canon SX10 is?

I am an amateur photographer but I wish to improve my skills and I'll be taking photography lessons.

I want the camera to take nice good quality pictures at any weather or light conditions. But I'm also interested in taking all type of photos, from landscapes to tiny details and action scenes.

Which is the best option for me?

Edit: sorry the title should be Pentax SRL

Last edited by ramagutierrez; Jul 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM.
ramagutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:57 PM   #2

Default A DSLR versus a Super Zoom Camera

In my opinion, you should look at all of the economical consumer level DSLR cameras. They each have advantages and disadvantages. The challenge is to find a DSLR that works well for you.

By and large, super zoom cameras have great zoom capability, but they are rather poor for shooting in low light level conditions. Therefore, based on your stated goals in this post, I would venture the conclusion is that the DSLR camera would more effectively fill your rather broad and general camera needs.

The Nikon D-40 and D-5000 cameras, the Canon XSi and T-1 cameras, the Pentax K-2000 camera, and the Sony A-200 camera all fit into the category that I am speaking about.

Here is a no flash photo taken through a store window done with the Pentax K-2000 equipped with the Pentax DAL 18-55mm kit lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:13 PM   #3

As long as you don't mind the disadvantages of a dSLR (size, weight, extra equipment and expense) and your primary goal is to learn and improve your photography skills, then get the K2000 (or, as Sarah pointed out, one of the other dSLR cameras). The kit lens is quite nice but doesn't have the same range as the SX10 - it will go wider but not near as long. If telephoto is one of your immediate needs you should plan on buying another lens pretty soon after getting the camera.

If you plan on going out in all types of weather, with an emphasis on wet and dust, then you might want to think about a Pentax K200 - the K2000 doesn't have the same weather seals. This may or may not be important to you - if you live in Los Angeles or Phoenix it might not matter much at all. The image quality between the K200 and K2000 are similar so either would work well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:24 PM   #4

Well there you are!

If the size, shape and the bulk of a DSLR camera does not put you off, you might have found your ideal camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 24, 2009, 9:40 PM   #5

To the OP-

I honestly think that you might have indeed confused your camera selection needs with what you really want. The important issue is that you must first do is to separate your interest in super zoom cameras from your DSLR camera interest.

To be very truthful, super zoom cameras are a great deal different from DSLR cameras.And that is a very well know factor. You will have to decide which type of camera really interests you, as step #1.

With that decision made we can functionally, and realistically move ahead. But that is the very first, and rather basic decision that you must make.

So, won't you please tell us, is your interest in super zoom cameras. or in a true DSLR camera?

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:32 PM   #6

I rather prefer a DSRL camera.
But I can't afford a much more expensive camera than the K2000 and I would really like it to have the option to also record video (canon sx10 has video and k2000 i think it doesn't)
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:05 PM   #7

Sir-

I am sorry to say that you cannot do both, except on the Nikon D-5000 camera and the Nikon D-90 camera. Please take your choice.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 25, 2009, 9:21 AM   #8

I saw the reviews of the Nikon D-5000 and loved it!
For how mch money could I get it?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:47 AM   #9

Well the best price for the Nikon D500 I found from a reputable outlet was $850 for the body and kit lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Camera.html

The Pentax K2000 is going for around $470, again from a reputable outlet for the body and kit lens.

http://www.adorama.com/IPXK2000K1A.html

So right now, with a limited set of dSLRs that are capable of shooting movies, the cost difference is about double.

I do not have the K2000, but I have other Pentax cameras - the K100 and K20. There may be a slight alternative, and that is continuous shooting 2 to 3 frames per second for a period of time as opposed to a 20 or 30 fps as a movie is shot.

dSLRs are not really made and intended for movies, but are an added feature - more of an option, that is moving from the Point and Shoot category up to the dSLR category. It will probably be an feature added to all the new models, however that will only happen over time (18 months) - and may not make it to the entry level camera (a feature to differentiated various product levels). If movies are that important, it maybe better to wait as the capability is coming. However, dSLRs primary purpose is to take still pictures and for learning photography, that is the way to go.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:24 AM   #10

Thanks..
I think I'll start buying a superzoom camera, and wait for the new models of dsrl to come...