Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:59 PM   #1

Default Budget camera $100-$200?

Hey guys,

My sister is looking for a camera and would like to spend somewhere between 100 and 200 dollars. It's more of a point and shoot, but she would still like sharp quality pictures, image stabilization , etc.

I was checking out cameras on a website and looking up reviews for them but not all of them have reviews and the reviews vary from "worked great for me" to "this camera has blurry images and takes a long time to re-ready between pictures"... So I was wondering if anyone has done research into a similar price range lately and could recommend a camera.

So far the #1 candidate is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS7.

Thanks!
Marklar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:09 AM   #2

My suggestion would be:

The Canon A-590 IS Camera. It has received great reviews. It is a gang busters camera, and it is very rasy to use giving you both full automatic and full manual controls. And I gave it as a Christmas present to my daughter last yea. So it is pretty darned good.

Sarah joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
My suggestion would be:

The Canon A-590 IS Camera. It has received great reviews. It is a gang busters camera, and it is very rasy to use giving you both full automatic and full manual controls. And I gave it as a Christmas present to my daughter last yea. So it is pretty darned good.

Sarah joyce
Sarah,

Thanks for the recommendation. Is this camera small enough to comfortably fit in a pocket? Looking at dimensions it seems small but image-wise it looks larger than other compact cameras (it may just be the 'grip' on the side though) and being compact is one criteria I forgot to mention!

Thanks again!
Marklar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:18 AM   #4

The Canon A-590IS is the best small, under $(US) 150.00 camera choice. It will not fit into a jean pocket, but it will quite easily go into a jacket or side pocket quite easily. Right now it is the "buy" of the week.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:00 AM   #5

I could agree that the Canon A590 is the best AA powered compact. Personally I'd rather have the Panny FS7 with dedicated ion rechargeable. Canon SD1200 is another popular ultracompact around $200. At about the $150 level there are yet more ultracompacts to consider, but none at that price level will match the IQ of the A590. Depends on just how fussy you are about IQ. Lots of newbies ask for top IQ when all they really wanted was accurate exposure and focus.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote