Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:04 PM   #1

Default Vivitar 5188 - ViviCam 5.1 MP Digital Camera (Blk) + Waterproof Case up to 45 Feet

Hello everyone,
Hope you are all well and hope you've missed this "old gal".

I may be old but haven't died yet.

OK, I am going snorkeling for the first time in my long life this winter in the caribbean. Didn't want to buy a throw-away print camera and found this digital camera that is new and priced well.

I know it's not the high end models and I know you get what you pay for but, seriously, anyone ever use or know someone who used and what good and/or bad have you heard?

We just need it for taking good pictures underwater for a week and figured going digital was better cause then we don't have to worry about x-rays and we can get snapping pic's without worrying how many we have left.

Would love to hear thoughts and thanks again.

Melanie
melmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2009, 8:36 PM   #2

Melanie,

You might be better off with the throw-aways. The 5188, isn't a new camera - it doesn't exist according to the Vivitar web site. There are 5 reviews on Amazon from a year ago, which weren't very favorable. Sounds like a piece of junk to me. Why have blurry, grainy memories of your first snorkeling adventure?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:00 PM   #3

Default Vivitar 5399 5.1MP Scuba - Digital Underwater Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
Melanie,

You might be better off with the throw-aways. The 5188, isn't a new camera - it doesn't exist according to the Vivitar web site. There are 5 reviews on Amazon from a year ago, which weren't very favorable. Sounds like a piece of junk to me. Why have blurry, grainy memories of your first snorkeling adventure?

the Hun
I'm so sorry but I listed the wrong one.
That one was another I looked at. The one I meant to ask about was this one:

Vivitar 5399 5.1MP Scuba - Digital Underwater Camera
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:31 AM   #4

Melanie,

Vivitar isn't a player in the digital camera market. The 5399 has no optical zoom, it has a f3.0 aperture, it is powered by two AAA batteries, which can't last very long - why waster your money? You were hanging around here earlier this year, asking tons of questions about digital cameras...come to think of it, I don't recall you ever coming back here and telling us what camera you bought - you did buy a camera, didn't you? Then buy a waterproof case for your existing camera.

the Hun
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Melanie,

Vivitar isn't a player in the digital camera market. The 5399 has no optical zoom, it has a f3.0 aperture, it is powered by two AAA batteries, which can't last very long - why waster your money? You were hanging around here earlier this year, asking tons of questions about digital cameras...come to think of it, I don't recall you ever coming back here and telling us what camera you bought - you did buy a camera, didn't you? Then buy a waterproof case for your existing camera.

the Hun
Good memory young-man, very good memory.

I won a contest through Kodak and we won a complete packaged M380, it's their new camera. It's red. Got a huge camera bag, extra rechargable batteries, 2 2gig memory cards...all for free.....It works very well and I love the pictures. I've looked up a waterproof case for it but can't find one. The people at dicapacusa said they don't make one for it yet cause it's new. If you got ideas or suggestions, I'm open to hear them.
I just want to make sure if I buy a case that it isn't a cheap one, don't want to destroy my new camera. LOL
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:55 AM   #6

How about something like this?

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/small...14-1626-0.html

It's waterproof to 15' - will you be going deeper than that?

the Hun
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:38 AM   #7

No, we'll be in about 4 to 6 feet only.

Should I be nervous about these? I would hate to ruin my camera early on in trip (our excursion is second day of 14 day ) I read some reviews and they seem to run 50/50. Would you be nervous?

Melanie
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:55 PM   #8

As I see it, here are your options:
1. Don't bring a camera with you when snorkeling - have no photographic memories.
2. Spend $75 on the Vivitar, take crap pictures - have no photographic memories.
3. Spend $40 on an AquaPac, take pictures, be nervous - have photographic memories.
4. Spend $300 on a waterproof camera, relax - have photographic memories.

Would I be nervous about possibly ruining a $150 camera? No.
Would I be nervous about possibly ruining a $1000 camera? Yes.

the Hun
Old Jul 29, 2009, 3:30 PM   #9

Quote:
As I see it, here are your options:
1. Don't bring a camera with you when snorkeling - have no photographic memories.
2. Spend $75 on the Vivitar, take crap pictures - have no photographic memories.
3. Spend $40 on an AquaPac, take pictures, be nervous - have photographic memories.
4. Spend $300 on a waterproof camera, relax - have photographic memories.

Would I be nervous about possibly ruining a $150 camera? No.
Would I be nervous about possibly ruining a $1000 camera? Yes.

the Hun
Well, 1,3,and 4 don't apply. Kodak says this camera can't go underwater even if it's in a protective housing.
And I would answer yes to both nervous questions. I hope when your my age, you don't have to worry about spending $$$ like myself and other seniors do. Ruining a $150 is a big deal to us.
Thanks for your help. I sincerely appreciate it

Melanie
Old Jul 30, 2009, 4:36 PM   #10

“Well, 1,3,and 4 don't apply. “

That leaves #2, which you were going to do anyway.

“Kodak says this camera can't go underwater even if it's in a protective housing.”

And where does Kodak say that? I couldn’t find anything to that regard on their web site nor in the owners manual.

“I hope when your my age, you don't have to worry about spending $$$ like myself and other seniors do. Ruining a $150 is a big deal to us.”

Don’t play the senior card with me, Melanie...you have no idea how old I am - I may just be older than you.

You’re afraid of ruining a $150 camera, but you have enough money to throw $75 out the window on an absolute piece of garbage? I don’t understand.

Bon Voyage...

The Hun