Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Sure...

Nikon's flash system is pretty nice, though. So, you could use multiple SB-900s (since you'd want spares anyway), setting ratios as desired to get the lighting needed, with the light modifiers/reflectors/backgrounds you want to use with them. ;-)
Hehe, yes sure.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
Jim, Spending $9k is to much for me.
I was just teasing you, given your wife's comments. ;-)

BTW, please don't change the colors from the defaults. Because we're using more than one "Board Theme", it's hard to translate every background color/text color correctly. As a result, I can't read your text when I quote it (because the white text ends up on a white background when using the "Dark Theme" here).

Quote:
I can do about $1k max. If I do something cheap like the XS I can buy all the extra gear with it. If I do the T1i I would need to stick with kit and take time to get the accessories.
As for camera choice, that's a tough call. You'll want a good external flash for parties (or other indoor events). Personally, I wouldn't want to be limited to ISO 1600 (as you'd get with the XS or XTi). But, I wouldn't want to try and cover a birthday party without a good external flash either. The flash would probably be a higher priority if I had to choose between them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:01 AM   #13

OK, so your budget is $1000 - that rules out the 'buy any camera you want'. You have to decide what types of photography you want to pursue. The reality is, you won't be able to do everything with only $1000 budget. A perfect example - if the party is indoors (and you want to do other indoor party work) an external flash is essential for quality work. The impact to your photos using a bounced flash with more power and more spread is enormous. If, however, this party is outside then the built in flash can be used in shade for fill.

Realize though, the kit lens is fairly short. It's a good kit lens (the one with XSI and t1! is) but not conducive to a lot of other types of photography where you'll need a longer lens (longer than 55mm). So depending on how you plan on using the camera for everything but this one party, you may need to budget for a 2nd lens.

One of the dangers of buying a DSLR is many people maximize their budget on the initial camera purchase and don't do research ahead of time to understand what lenses and accessories are required for the types of photography they like to do.

I'm going to assume this party is NOT a paid shoot. Correct me if that's a wrong assumption. Paid work is something you need to plan for. You need backup bodies/flashes/lenses in case your primary unit gets broke. Friends you're doing a favor for will understand when that happens and you don't have a backup - paying clients don't want to hear those excuses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:05 AM   #14
elo

Quote:
I was just teasing you, given your wife's comments. ;-)

BTW, please don't change the colors and fonts from the defaults. Because we're using more than one "Board Theme", it's hard to translate every background color/text color correctly. As a result, I can't read your text when I quote it (because the white text ends up on a white background when using the "Dark Theme" here).
Sorry about the text, its that I copyed and pasted form MS word (bad speller), and I could not see it because it was black so I changed it to white . I figured you were kiding but you sounded so serious.

Quote:

As for camera choice, that's a tough call. You'll want a good external flash for parties (or other indoor events). Personally, I wouldn't want to be limited to ISO 1600 (as you'd get with the XS or XTi). But, I wouldn't want to try and cover a birthday party without a good external flash either. The flash would probably be a higher priority if I had to choose between them.
So if I could squeeze in T1i with a flash, its worth the extra $150 over XSi with Flash?

Thanks agian both of you are helping alot!
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post

So if I could squeeze in T1i with a flash, its worth the extra $150 over XSi with Flash?

Thanks agian both of you are helping alot!
It depends. The biggest improvement in the T1i is the high ISO - 3200 and 6400. To some people that's very useful. To others, not so much. High ISO won't be of much value for the party. So it's a matter of matching your other needs to gear requirements. That may mean the T1i, or it may mean puting that $150 towards another lens, or eventual tripod or something else. The camera body is really only one part of the equation.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:41 AM   #16
elo

$360 for a good flash .... 580Ex II, how about the 220EX lol
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:46 AM   #17
elo

Okay so xsi $650 580Ex $360, what lens should I get for zoom? That should give me a good start so that I can start to practice.

Last edited by elo; Jul 28, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:48 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
...how about the 220EX
Nope.. You'll want the 430EX II or 580EX II. Those flashes give you both bounce and swivel (for more flexibility), as well as High Speed Sync (a.k.a., FP Mode) which allows you to use shutter speeds faster than the camera's x-sync speed (which can come in handy if using a flash for fill outdoors at wider aperture settings).

Also, when bouncing a flash, you need more power, as the flash has to travel to the surface you're bouncing it from (for example, a wall or ceiling), and back to the subject (and the diffusion/wider light angle you get from bouncing it will reduce range significantly, with ceiling height/color and more coming into the equation). Light modifiers (typical diffusers) will also reduce flash range.

You may also want to consider a third party flashes. Here's a recent thread discussing some of the alternatives for Canon dSLR models. I'd probably go with a Metz if the better Canon models are over budget.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...rebel-xti.html
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:06 PM   #19
elo

wow canon seems to have a rebate on the 580EX I think that would make it $290

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/Pro...e_MayAug09.pdf
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Administrator

Sounds good.