Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:21 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
what lens should I get for zoom?
I'd go with the kit lens (18-55mm IS) for starters. The kit lenses don't add a lot to the cost of a camera kit. Then, after you use it for a while (hopefully, practicing a lot before the upcoming party), you'll get a better idea of where you may need something different in some conditions, and will be able to make better informed decisions based on your experience with the kit lens.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:54 PM   #22
elo

I feel like am bugging you guys now... but any specific bags you all prefer or recommend for a beginner.

canon backpack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
wow canon seems to have a rebate on the 580EX I think that would make it $290

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/Pro...e_MayAug09.pdf

Wow, $290 sounds like a good price on the 580. Which store has that price? I checked with B&H and they list it for $420 - $50 rebate = $370.

I just got (2 weeks ago) the 430 which is $270 - $30 rebate = $240.

I am very happy with the 430, it should work very well for your indoor parties. I figured that if I ever decide to use two flashes at once I can get the 580 in the future and use the 430 as the slave.

On the camera side I upgraded a few months back from the XSi to to 50D.
My main reasons for upgrading was for Higher ISO and more frames per second for shooting sports.

The XSi should do well if you are using the flash but if I were you I would opt for the T1i. I would save the $130 on the flash and get the T1i because of the gains in ISO and it would be handy to have the video capability.

Good Luck with your purchase,
Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:05 PM   #24
elo

am looking at the 580 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

maybe the price 361 is with rebate? My math was off I was taking away to much. I should have typed 310...

I am leaning towards the T1i, i love a 50D but its alot more money.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:09 PM   #25
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffina6 View Post
On the camera side I upgraded a few months back from the XSi to to 50D.
My main reasons for upgrading was for Higher ISO and more frames per second for shooting sports.
I notice the T1i was 3.4 FPS (hair slower than Xsi but higher resolution photos), but that to me the rookie sounds good enogh for sports even... but am sure the 6 fps you get from 50D is much better.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
I notice the T1i was 3.4 FPS (hair slower than Xsi but higher resolution photos), but that to me the rookie sounds good enogh for sports even... but am sure the 6 fps you get from 50D is much better.
The T1i was brand new with very little user experience to review when I wanted to order. The higher fps probably made me pick the 50D but it was a hard choice over the T1i. I have enjoyed the video on my point and shoot S3 IS and would believe it would be very nice on the T1i too.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:00 PM   #27
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffina6 View Post
The T1i was brand new with very little user experience to review when I wanted to order. The higher fps probably made me pick the 50D but it was a hard choice over the T1i. I have enjoyed the video on my point and shoot S3 IS and would believe it would be very nice on the T1i too.
I remember now, I read that whole thing between T1i and 50D and I also saw your first pic (kids socor game very nice). But at this time 50D is alot more money but I like to have that over t1i becaues it just seems to be better built. But what do i know

So far am thinkig T1i with 480 flash to start... I am making this harder than it needs to be
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:25 PM   #28

The build quality / ergonomics of the 50d vs. T1i are different. I would suggest you handle both of them. That may drive you towards / away one camera vs. the other. Of course, as you already noticed, the 50d is way over your original budget. Some people like / prefer the heft of the xxD cameras and some like/prefer the smaller size/weight of the xxxD cameras.

In either case, I think the 430exII is enough for your needs. The 580exII is a great flash but not necessary for simple flash work. If you get more serious and want a business later you'll need a backup unit anyway (same if you want to get into 2-flash work). Just my .02 I own and use the 580exII but I needed the extra power and the ability to use a battery pack.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:57 PM   #29
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The build quality / ergonomics of the 50d vs. T1i are different. I would suggest you handle both of them. That may drive you towards / away one camera vs. the other. Of course, as you already noticed, the 50d is way over your original budget. Some people like / prefer the heft of the xxD cameras and some like/prefer the smaller size/weight of the xxxD cameras.

In either case, I think the 430exII is enough for your needs. The 580exII is a great flash but not necessary for simple flash work. If you get more serious and want a business later you'll need a backup unit anyway (same if you want to get into 2-flash work). Just my .02 I own and use the 580exII but I needed the extra power and the ability to use a battery pack.
One of the main things that scares me about the 50D is that its been out for almost 1 year... I fear soon as I buy it they release the 60D or what ever model is next =D and the T1i is farily new...

I am getting off work in next few min, I plan to stop by bestbuy on the way home so that I can look at both cameras in person.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:53 PM   #30
elo

Well, I stop by Best Buy after work and got to handle both the T1i and the 50D. The 50D is a beast...feels very solid and well made, but its a little to large for my taste even though I do have big hands I liked the feel of the T1i so I guess its better that its cheaper for me